Tyrone vs Mayo AISF Semi-Final - August 25th

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 03, 2013, 08:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluenosebandit

The front 6 I would like to see get game time throughout next years national league, to see how they would gel.

10. Peter Harte
11. Kyle Coney
12. Joe McMahon
13. Conor McAliskey
14. Sean Cavanagh
15. Darren McCurry/Ronan O'Neill

Would like to see mattie Donnelly moved to 6 as I feel he carries the ball well from this position, is strong in the tackle and in teh mdern game you need a chb who can create as well as defend.

Given how half backs attack i think peter hearte could be moulded into a brian dooher like role, carrying the ball out of defence and being more involved in an attacking role.

Joe MCMahon at 12, again as he can filter back when needed, is good on the ball, and with big sean at 14 he would be a viable option for kick-outs.

bluenosebandit

Im not sure about Mark Donnelly tbh. Granted, great player and brilliant at carrying ball (into the tackle most times i might add) but id rather have a forward line who will pose a threat going forward instead of always working back. In my opinion Mark Donnelly holds onto the ball too long instead of releasing it inside earlier. Probably should have him in somewhere but, in an attacking sense, where would you play him. I know this could be said of almost all tyrone forwards this year, but you have to admit, he doesnt score much.

supersarsfields

Not a big scorer but wins a lot if frees with his ball carrying. I would definitely have him in there and would keep Cavanagh at MF. Coney as a possible FF if SON doesn't come back.

bluenosebandit

Cavanagh has been excellent at midfield, but you cant forget, the man was footballer of the year when played at FF

iorras

You know its interesting, whatever about the whys and wherefores of Mayo v whomever in the games so far, most of the other teams, who clearly have to be at an IC level of fitness, look absolutley f*cked after 30 minutes playing against Mayo. How could that be?

Was interesting to see some of all the ball skills, Aidan Higgins, Colum Boyle and Lee Keegan look absolutley Kerry like when on the ball, sprinting full belt and going toe to hand. Yes, you expect that from IC footballers, but after years of watching our county I have never seen players wearing the green and red look so comfortable on the ball. Doesnt mean we will win the all ireland but its good to see.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Denn Forever on August 27, 2013, 11:36:40 AM
Quote from: J OGorman on August 27, 2013, 11:24:31 AM
and whats the craic with free staters pronouncing 'nephew', 'nev-view'? crazy stuff

I counter with 'sickt' rather than sixth.

Ack awe, about thyme someun addressed this sitchuaashionn.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

give her dixie

Congratulations to Mayo, they were the better team on the day. Now they need to push on and win the Sam.....

Lets hope our minors make it to the final and I can get a day out !!?

next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Nally Stand

Quote from: bluenosebandit on August 27, 2013, 03:22:36 PM
Im not sure about Mark Donnelly tbh. Granted, great player and brilliant at carrying ball (into the tackle most times i might add) but id rather have a forward line who will pose a threat going forward instead of always working back. In my opinion Mark Donnelly holds onto the ball too long instead of releasing it inside earlier. Probably should have him in somewhere but, in an attacking sense, where would you play him. I know this could be said of almost all tyrone forwards this year, but you have to admit, he doesnt score much.

Can't decide which is worse...wanting to start Coney or not wanting to start Mark Donnelly. Both bewildering.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

EC Unique

Quote from: Nally Stand on August 27, 2013, 05:35:06 PM

Can't decide which is worse...wanting to start Coney or not wanting to start Mark Donnelly. Both bewildering.

That's not fair on Coney I think. He is a serious player with loads of natural talent. Since breaking into the senior squad he has had no luck with injuries and I think if he gets a season free of injury he will show what he can do. Donnelly is a great runner and worker but Tyrone seem to be producing too many of those. His scoring touch seems to have left him..  We need scoring forwards more than anything I think.

rrhf

To be honest, there were men put off the panel at the start of the year were further developed than half the bench. 
However:
We need to let go of some great servants who are too injury prone.   There was too much banked on them being fit in that we built game plans around them.
We need a complete new midfield. 
We need new wing and corner backs. 
We can hold our heads high we scrapped well this year..
Mayo can win this all ireland and we should be fully behind them.  They need to learn how to score unassisted in the first 25 minutes. 

rosnarun

Quote from: EC Unique on August 27, 2013, 05:42:16 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on August 27, 2013, 05:35:06 PM
I'm not sure about Mark Donnelly tbh. Granted, great player and brilliant at carrying ball (into the tackle most times i might add) but id rather have a forward line who will pose a threat going forward instead of always working back. In my opinion Mark Donnelly holds onto the ball too long instead of releasing it inside earlier. Probably should have him in somewhere but, in an attacking sense, where would you play him. I know this could be said of almost all Tyrone forwards this year, but you have to admit, he doesn't score much.

That's not fair on Coney I think. He is a serious player with loads of natural talent. Since breaking into the senior squad he has had no luck with injuries and I think if he gets a season free of injury he will show what he can do. Donnelly is a great runner and worker but Tyrone seem to be producing too many of those. His scoring touch seems to have left him..  We need scoring forwards more than anything I think.
I think coney is just not a Tyrone(m Harte) type player in a more traditional set up his football skills would be shown to far greater effect. but probably not a great harrier and spoiler  which seems to be the Prerequisite
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: iorras on August 27, 2013, 04:20:29 PM
You know its interesting, whatever about the whys and wherefores of Mayo v whomever in the games so far, most of the other teams, who clearly have to be at an IC level of fitness, look absolutley f*cked after 30 minutes playing against Mayo. How could that be?

Was interesting to see some of all the ball skills, Aidan Higgins, Colum Boyle and Lee Keegan look absolutley Kerry like when on the ball, sprinting full belt and going toe to hand. Yes, you expect that from IC footballers, but after years of watching our county I have never seen players wearing the green and red look so comfortable on the ball. Doesnt mean we will win the all ireland but its good to see.

Agree totally, also when Mayo run into the tackle, their ball retention is quite high, there were a couple of instances late in the game where two Tyrone players were coming into tackle a Mayo player, he simply put the foot down and the two tyrone players ended up running into each other, i think AOS's point was one of them.

I have been saying it all year, this Mayo team are a serious outfit...........