Tyrone vs Mayo AISF Semi-Final - August 25th

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 03, 2013, 08:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: rrhf on August 26, 2013, 02:19:56 PM
The irony is in the way Mayo were playing there was next to no chance they would have scored that goal in the refs eyes at the time he blew the whistle.  They were ridiculously lacking in composure and couldn't have hit an auld barn door with a new potato.  I think their defenders starting scoring for them from play after 32 mins.
Tyrone should have had them dead and buried at that point.  That was their chance.  They missed that chance.  Tyrones  fault they weren't further head.
However theres feck all we can do about non frees. double bounces and dodgy penaltys. Thats not our job really...

You have to tack the scores on when you are on top. Control of the game comes and goes and if you don't run up the scores when you
have the possession you won't win.  Tyrone were only 3 points up after 25 mins despite Mayo playing a mare. They were poor but not as poor as limerick at ht the previous week. Even though the forwards were trina cheile the backs had the balls to get the scores.   And a goal down after 25 mins is more than manageable especially if the other side have difficulty raising the flags. 
Tyrone should have been 7 or 8 points ahead at that stage . They had a couple of bad wides and there some poor decisions made.
By all means moan about the penalty but ultimately Tyrone didn't score enough when they had the momentum.

Hardy

Quote from: Mrs mills on August 26, 2013, 02:26:32 PM
Furthermore, there is no advantage rule yet.

Why does this myth persist? Do people think when there's a foul and the referee plays on with his arm in the air he's signalling "hup Mayo" or something??

4.36 When a team commits a technical foul, the referee may allow the play to continue if he considers it to be the advantage of the opposing team. He shall signal that advantage is being played by raising an extended arm upright. Once he allows play to continue, he may not subsequently award a free for that foul. He shall apply any relevant disciplinary action.

5.35 When a team commits an aggressive foul, the Referee may allow play to continue if he considers it to be to the advantage of the offended team. He shall signal that advantage is being played by raising an extended arm upright. Once the Referee allows the play to continue, he may not subsequently award a free for that foul. He shall apply the relevant penalty.

rrhf

Quote from: seafoid on August 26, 2013, 03:39:58 PM
Quote from: rrhf on August 26, 2013, 02:19:56 PM
The irony is in the way Mayo were playing there was next to no chance they would have scored that goal in the refs eyes at the time he blew the whistle.  They were ridiculously lacking in composure and couldn't have hit an auld barn door with a new potato.  I think their defenders starting scoring for them from play after 32 mins.
Tyrone should have had them dead and buried at that point.  That was their chance.  They missed that chance.  Tyrones  fault they weren't further head.
However theres feck all we can do about non frees. double bounces and dodgy penaltys. Thats not our job really...

You have to tack the scores on when you are on top. Control of the game comes and goes and if you don't run up the scores when you
have the possession you won't win.  Tyrone were only 3 points up after 25 mins despite Mayo playing a mare. They were poor but not as poor as limerick at ht the previous week. Even though the forwards were trina cheile the backs had the balls to get the scores.   And a goal down after 25 mins is more than manageable especially if the other side have difficulty raising the flags. 
Tyrone should have been 7 or 8 points ahead at that stage . They had a couple of bad wides and there some poor decisions made.
By all means moan about the penalty but ultimately Tyrone didn't score enough when they had the momentum.
No question about that, Mayo dominated the last period of the game emphatically and are in a great positon to challenge for an AI title.  Tyrone rightly or wrongly had targeted a 6 - 8 point lead after 20 minutes as all historical signs would point to a mental collapse by Mayo.   That they didnt get a 6 point lead and achieve that was down to the officials.  Not Mayo and not Tyrone, we can lay out a game plan but we cant allow for daylight robbery as we attempt to achieve it. This was not of Mayos fault by the way, they couldnt be expected to offer back the penalty or a replay.. 

rrhf

Quote from: seafoid on August 25, 2013, 04:48:11 PM
15 min left and Tyrone have only scored 2 points in around half an hour.
same as Mayo in the first half.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Hardy on August 26, 2013, 03:44:51 PM

Why does this myth persist? Do people think when there's a foul and the referee plays on with his arm in the air he's signalling "hup Mayo" or something??

4.36 When a team commits a technical foul, the referee may allow the play to continue if he considers it to be the advantage of the opposing team. He shall signal that advantage is being played by raising an extended arm upright. Once he allows play to continue, he may not subsequently award a free for that foul. He shall apply any relevant disciplinary action.

5.35 When a team commits an aggressive foul, the Referee may allow play to continue if he considers it to be to the advantage of the offended team. He shall signal that advantage is being played by raising an extended arm upright. Once the Referee allows the play to continue, he may not subsequently award a free for that foul. He shall apply the relevant penalty.

I think people think advantage should be akin to something like they have in rugby and also now in soccer, that the ref can allow an advantage but if none occurs then it can be brought back.  There was reference the other day to the 'slow whistle' whereby refs are now encouraged to hold off blowing the whistle to see whether or not an advantage occurs.  That is the closest we have to what some people want.

mayo.mick

A bit later than usual, wrecked tired and voice gone! Have all the photos from the match yesterday uploaded now;

http://pix.ie/mayomick/album/474091
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Ye don't help yourselves. What is M.Harte on about?  ::)

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=199493

Harte cries foul over nephew's injury

Harte wasn't impressed with the challenge that resulted in his nephew Peter Harte having to leave the field after just six minutes of yesterday's All-Ireland SFC semi-final.

While many felt the 'shoulder' by Mayo corner back Tom Cunniffe was fair, the Tyrone manager didn't see it that way.

"I think that would annoy me more than anything," he said.

"He (Peter Harte) didn't even get a free for something which forced him to leave the field on crutches. There is another anomaly for how we are looking at this game through certain lenses."

Harte felt the three points Mayo got before half-time were crucial to the outcome.

"It's very disappointing for us because I think the players put in a huge effort, particularly in the first half. I would have to say approaching half-time when we were seven-three up, I don't think anybody would have read the script that way.

"It was just unfortunate from our perspective that we let them back in for three points before half-time, which gave them a position going in at half-time that they probably didn't deserve. But overall, that's the mark of what they are about. They ground out in the first half when they were on the back foot."
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

magpie seanie

Cunniffe wasn't really interested in the ball, I'd say that's what Mickey's problem is. I'm not sure I'd agree with Mickey and I definitely think he shouldn't have said anything about it.

Obviously the hip caused the damage.

Fuzzman

I wonder did Mickey see the video before making that comment or was he talking from just raw emotion as one of our best players being taken out. Mickey is normally very gracious in defeat

Tyrone certainly didn't play anywhere near as well as they had been when Petey went off.
It looks a fair tackle from that pic though. Its actually a very well timed pic as you can see the impact on their faces.

Jinxy

What was the nature of the injury anyway?
I thought it was ribs until I saw him on crutches.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Jinxy on August 26, 2013, 04:33:22 PM
What was the nature of the injury anyway?
I thought it was ribs until I saw him on crutches.

Seems from Mickey Harte's comments that it was a pelvic injury that caused a nerve to send pain down his leg.

thewobbler

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 26, 2013, 04:10:13 PM
Ye don't help yourselves. What is M.Harte on about?  ::)

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=199493

Harte cries foul over nephew's injury

Harte wasn't impressed with the challenge that resulted in his nephew Peter Harte having to leave the field after just six minutes of yesterday's All-Ireland SFC semi-final.

While many felt the 'shoulder' by Mayo corner back Tom Cunniffe was fair, the Tyrone manager didn't see it that way.

"I think that would annoy me more than anything," he said.

"He (Peter Harte) didn't even get a free for something which forced him to leave the field on crutches. There is another anomaly for how we are looking at this game through certain lenses."

Harte felt the three points Mayo got before half-time were crucial to the outcome.

"It's very disappointing for us because I think the players put in a huge effort, particularly in the first half. I would have to say approaching half-time when we were seven-three up, I don't think anybody would have read the script that way.

"It was just unfortunate from our perspective that we let them back in for three points before half-time, which gave them a position going in at half-time that they probably didn't deserve. But overall, that's the mark of what they are about. They ground out in the first half when they were on the back foot."

If Cuniffe had have done anything but put everything he had into that challenge, he would have a) been accused of pulling out, and b) either hurt himself (Harte was going in hard too) or taken off for being a fairy.

As it turned out, it was one of the best executed shoulders of the summer. Harte getting hurt had nothing to do with the impact, and everything to do with way he landed.

Chimley

If Cunniffe had mistimed that and missed Harte he'd have ended up in the Cusack. It was a juddering collision and shows that these guys are so fit and strong nowadays to be able to give / take hits like this every game.

Hardy

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 26, 2013, 04:00:25 PM
Quote from: Hardy on August 26, 2013, 03:44:51 PM

I think people think advantage should be akin to something like they have in rugby and also now in soccer, that the ref can allow an advantage but if none occurs then it can be brought back.  There was reference the other day to the 'slow whistle' whereby refs are now encouraged to hold off blowing the whistle to see whether or not an advantage occurs.  That is the closest we have to what some people want.

I don't understand why referees don't use the slow whistle as a matter of course. You can give yourself a second or so before making up your mind and nobody will (well, should) complain. That's why it puzzles me to see refs running around with the whistle in the mouth. Far better to hang it from the wrist. That way it takes a second or so to grab it and blow, by which time the situation will have developed.

Similarly, I don't understand why refs in big games at Croke Park don't unofficially use the big screen. Deegan was 25-30 yards behind the play for the penalty yesterday. (Btw, I don't understand why people are criticising this. Do they expect him to be able to run from the other end of the field faster than Mayo can kick the ball that far?) All he had to do was blow for the foul and take his time after that. Play was stopped. He had no need to be running headlong, spreading his arms and roaring. Just stroll up, keeping an eye on the screen before making up his mind whether it was inside or outside.

Premier Emperor

Quote from: Hardy on August 26, 2013, 04:52:10 PM
Similarly, I don't understand why refs in big games at Croke Park don't unofficially use the big screen. Deegan was 25-30 yards behind the play for the penalty yesterday. (Btw, I don't understand why people are criticising this. Do they expect him to be able to run from the other end of the field faster than Mayo can kick the ball that far?) All he had to do was blow for the foul and take his time after that. Play was stopped. He had no need to be running headlong, spreading his arms and roaring. Just stroll up, keeping an eye on the screen before making up his mind whether it was inside or outside.
He'll end up watching some stupid ad for Nivea on the big screen.