Tyrone vs Mayo AISF Semi-Final - August 25th

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 03, 2013, 08:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Beard

as expected tyrone just not good enough and havent been for the past couple of years. our experience allows us to grind out matches against lower class teams through qualifiers but everytime in last couple of years we have come up against a top 5 side in quarters or semi's we have been well beat, kerry, dublin, cork and mayo today. mayo couldve and shouldve won by 10pnts or more today. tyrone wont be competeing for all irelands in the next 5 years.....not through lack of talent but just lack the leadership and character that we'v been blessed with in the past 10 years.

also never a footblock, yes ball hit his foot but thats not the definition of a footblock, foot must be high and block ball at point of contact of player kicking the ball. pulling at straws with that one.....

Canalman

For a start if I was Tyrone I would bring back the red shorts and ditch the gps tops. Small things I know but cannot understand why a successful enough way was changed.

The present Tyrone team reminds me of that poor child resurrected in the novel Pet Cemetery. Similar but not a patch on the 2003/2008 team.

thewobbler

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 25, 2013, 08:43:59 PM
What today's game and the Mayo- Donegal game shows is that teams that build their whole tactical game plan around a negative game plan are being found out if any chink in the system is exposed.  Mayo were able to match both Tyrone and Donegal for fitness but they have a more positive approach to the game and have a better array of scoring options.  The heavy reliance on Sean Cavanagh was exposed today as he was not able to assert the influence he has had in previous games and that was down to 2 key factors.  The ability of the Mayo runners to put pressure on him and also the work rate and closing down of space around the middle sector in general.  He rarely got the ball in space. 

Tactically after the first 20 minutes Tyrone were a busted flush.  The Mayo defenders pushed up and negated the advantage of playing a sweeper.  That is the only way you can play against this system.  Also, the lose of Harte was key to the ability to drive forward from the back, creating the extra man and drawing the free.  One of the finest examples of a shoulder charge that you will see and Harte was well and truly floored.    On todays performance Mayo showed a character that had previously been missing in Mayo teams.  Hopefully for them young O'Connor will be ok, any word?   He will be a key player in the final if he is fit.

I'd make Mayo as cynical as any team in the country. They have the third man tackle down to a fine art, are masters in cutting off counter attacks by any means necessary, and are quite happy to put 13 behind the ball for as long as it takes.

But I prefer watching them to Donegal (and all other imitators) for two reasons. The first being that one-on-one, their defenders tackle with both legitimacy and fervour, and are some small proof that tackling in Gaelic Football is not a tombola, but a definable skill. The second is similar to what BCB says above. When they attack, they are quick, clinical, and fun to watch. There's no mucking around on the half way line with these men; it's always forward.

- - -

In saying that, I found the difference in their attacking team work between today and the Donegal match quite staggering. I was so utterly impressed watching their forwards against Donegal. Each of them was unselfish both on and off the ball, and it genuinely seemed to be be all about the team. Today, their decision-making was more Junior B standard. McLoughlin's feet were on the wrong way around, and the rest of them just tried to hard to be the game changer in the opening 20 minutes. Varley proved with almost every touch that he doesn't get the team thing. All in all it was a horrible come down. But Mayo created so many chances (even when Tyrone were dominating) that it eventually didn't matter. I hope for the final they go back to heir previous form.

Club Rossa

Couldn't fault Tyrone for effort today but we are limited.Still in around the top 6 but we don't have the quality to deal with the top teams like Mayo,Kerry,Dublin or Donegal.Harte will probably get some stick for this defeat but the reality is we are where we are and dont have the players.League final and last 4 in cship isn't too bad.

Well done Mayo,the result was never in doubt and I really hope they go on and win it now.I'd also like to commend their fans.They turned out in massive numbers and gave their team great support today.had great craic with them.They're a credit to their county.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: Canalman on August 25, 2013, 08:49:48 PM
For a start if I was Tyrone I would bring back the red shorts and ditch the gps tops. Small things I know but cannot understand why a successful enough way was changed.

The present Tyrone team reminds me of that poor child resurrected in the novel Pet Cemetery. Similar but not a patch on the 2003/2008 team.

How could they replicate the 2003/2008 with the players they lost ??? they have nothing to prove currently and are rebuilding...................

In all honesty its about fooking time Mayo won an All Ireland..............................they are to face the fiercest test yet though :o

emmetryan

Hi lads,

Tactical breakdown of today's game here. Genuinely interested in stuff y'all thought I missed, not least because it'll come in handy for my final previews (I do a three-parter for it)

http://action81.com/blog/?p=7573

Emmet
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

Bensars

The boards resident expert has spoken. Everyone else please take note!

An Average footballer by the most generous of standards!

Well done mayo on progression . After all the years of hurt would love to see you take Sam across the Shannon.

As for part time analysis, that should be preserved for the Liverpool thread !

highorlow

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 25, 2013, 08:43:59 PM
What today's game and the Mayo- Donegal game shows is that teams that build their whole tactical game plan around a negative game plan are being found out if any chink in the system is exposed.  Mayo were able to match both Tyrone and Donegal for fitness but they have a more positive approach to the game and have a better array of scoring options.  The heavy reliance on Sean Cavanagh was exposed today as he was not able to assert the influence he has had in previous games and that was down to 2 key factors.  The ability of the Mayo runners to put pressure on him and also the work rate and closing down of space around the middle sector in general.  He rarely got the ball in space. 

Tactically after the first 20 minutes Tyrone were a busted flush.  The Mayo defenders pushed up and negated the advantage of playing a sweeper.  That is the only way you can play against this system.  Also, the lose of Harte was key to the ability to drive forward from the back, creating the extra man and drawing the free.  One of the finest examples of a shoulder charge that you will see and Harte was well and truly floored.    On todays performance Mayo showed a character that had previously been missing in Mayo teams.  Hopefully for them young O'Connor will be ok, any word?   He will be a key player in the final if he is fit.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

bennydorano

Probably missed it somewhere but is that GPS thing the package Joe Kernan was flogging a year or two ago?

under the bar

Looks like BCB quite enjoyed watching Peter Harte getting injured! ::)

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: under the bar on August 25, 2013, 09:48:19 PM

f**k up you ye p***k. I said it was a great example of the shoulder charge and that is by both players. I never said anything about enjoying seeing a lad injured. You really are an idiot.

sam03/05

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 25, 2013, 09:52:23 PM

f**k up you ye p***k. I said it was a great example of the shoulder charge and that is by both players. I never said anything about enjoying seeing a lad injured. You really are an idiot.

It would have been a great shoulder if Harte had been in possession of the ball, but it was about two meters away, so it should have been a yellow card.

orangeman

So Mc Stay ( fair play to him ) showed on the Sunday game how the ref rode Tyrone today. What a shocker !

Captain Obvious

Quote from: orangeman on August 25, 2013, 10:06:38 PM
So Mc Stay ( fair play to him ) showed on the Sunday game how the ref rode Tyrone today. What a shocker !
Them the breaks he said with smirk on his face.

Zulu

Quote from: sam03/05 on August 25, 2013, 10:05:20 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 25, 2013, 09:52:23 PM

It would have been a great shoulder if Harte had been in possession of the ball, but it was about two meters away, so it should have been a yellow card.

Utter nonsense, a perfect challenge in a physical game. The exact kind of physicality we want in the game.