Tyrone vs Mayo AISF Semi-Final - August 25th

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 03, 2013, 08:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Syferus on August 25, 2013, 04:25:07 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 25, 2013, 04:21:44 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 25, 2013, 04:17:13 PM
Still not worried about today but COC's shoulder giving way and the spotty nature of the rest of the free-takers doesn't bode well for the likely match against Dublin.

Tyrone making this a white-hot battle (how many more physically intense matches have there ever been?) but the signs are there that they're already starting to chug. Mayo to choke the resistance out of a Harte and SON-less Tyrone side.

Why would you, the Rossies are well out of it ;D

You can start deleting the smiley filled post rolling in the fact I got the result wrong, containment is only step one and Mayo have already found their range ;)

Just call me the gaelic whisperer, lads.

Asal Mor

Quote from: galwayman on August 25, 2013, 05:16:08 PM
That Mayo team won't be beaten in my opinion.
Strong all over the pitch. Absolutely no weak links anywhere

Not even up front? Was only able to listen to the game but it sounded like Moran and McLoughlin struggled. I think Dublin are very dangerous. They'll create goal chances against anyone and Mayo struggled against a much more limited team for a long time today. Hope they do it, but I still fancy the Dubs.

stew

Fair play to Mayo, I hope they go on to win Sam in September.

Tyrone have had a good run, beaten league finalist's and now AISF losers, not a bad year by any stretch, fair play to them.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Asal Mor

Sorry Sludden. Seems like a bizarre gambling strategy though.

ross4life

Well done to our neighbours 6 point win about right i feel but the penalty (foul outside the box) was a huge turning point. Losing O'Connor will be blow for the final though Mayo have the bench to cope & all the ingredients to win Sam.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Main Street

Not a bad effort from Tyrone but brawn would never be enough on the day :)
Will only congratulate Mayo when they have the cup in the back of the bus after the AI final. We've already known for a long time that they're good enough to get to the final and getting to the final is not the challenge.

Tony Baloney

stephenite

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on August 25, 2013, 05:14:00 PM
The penalty early in the second half killed it (it shouldn't have been a penalty, if it was a foul at all then it was a free and not a penalty) and Mayo got their tails up then and Tyrone did not have enough to get back in it.

Agree with that, I don't think it was a penalty. Still think Mayo had sufficiently adjusted their tactics in the second half to win it.

If you compare the amount of short kick outs McConnell made in the first half to how many he made in the second half it should tell a story of how Mayo won the match. That we were able to readjust our shape to counter, not only our own tactical naivety in the first half, but change the game plan is something we have not done well in the past. The reduced influence of Clarke also was evident after we worked out how Tyrone were set up, again, thinking on the fly is a bit of a new thing.

Hard luck to Tyrone, some nice players coming through and a credit to the setup of Mickey Harte to lose the first round and still make the Semis.

All of a Sludden

Quote from: Asal Mor on August 25, 2013, 05:26:00 PM
Sorry Sludden. Seems like a bizarre gambling strategy though.

It is, I originally had Mayo with a 6 point handicap, but the Tyrone treble at 18/1 looked too good not to take a punt on and for the first 30 minutes it looked like a good bet.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

cadhlancian

I'm suck listening all year to this shite that tyrone don't have good enough scoring forwards . The way that we set up and our slow build up play from the back is an absolute cancer to a good inside forward. What the f**k are they supposed to do? The current setup stifles good forwards and our emphasis seems to be to "stay" in games long enough, and maybe making something happen in the last 10 mins! We rarely ever impose our game on anyone, tbh , it looks like Harte thinks we aren't just good enough. Maybe he's right? It would be hard to play as a "forward" on that current team!

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Well congrats to Mayo and fair play to Tyrone for providing a good tough challenge.

Hard to see past Dublin for Sam.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

BennyHarp

Fair play to Mayo, they are an impressive team who attack from deep and from all angles which is massively hard to defend against and they just wore Tyrone down. If I was a Mayo fan, I'd worry that their forwards (except the superb Alan Freeman) only started to play when the game was won. In the first half when the game was in the balance and the pressure was on, they were poor enough. I'm not sure the Dubs (or Kerry for that matter) will wilt like Tyrone so they will need all forwards standing up to be counted when under pressure and I'm still not convinced they have the quality to do so, especially with Cillian O'Connor unfortunately gone by the looks of it.

I think the ref had a poor enough game. I dont think it was a penalty for Mayo to be honest, he went down very easily and contact was made outside the box. Also, I'm not sure I agree about the foot block decision either but it would have been a big call to make. He gave some very easy frees in the first half to Mayo which kept them ticking over when the forward lie were misfiring, his eagerness to give easy frees actually cost them a perfectly good goal.

From a Tyrone point of view I'm massively proud of the lads this year,they probably played their best 20 odd minutes of the season today but just couldnt sustain it.  We lost Steven O'Neill, Pete Harte, Matty Donnelly and Joe McMahon which left it very hard to keep at the pace we were playing at. However, I'd say the writing was on the wall after 25 mins and the relentless attacking from deep was just too much to contain.

We have some lads who owe Tyrone football nothing but if the future is McAliskey, McCurry, Ronan O'Neill, Ciaran McGinley (who was excellent today), Petey Harte, Conor Clarke, Kyle Coney, Ronan McNabb, Matty Donnelly and Niall Morgan then the future is bright and I'd be optimistic that we will be back again fighting for All Ireland's in the coming years.

Good luck to Mayo in the final, I hope ye can finally do it.
That was never a square ball!!

FL/MAYO

Enda Varley had a nightmare for Mayo, Ill say Conroy if fit enough will start the next day, looks like Cillian is done for the year, his injury occured when he fell on his shoulder, Deegan gave him that soft free, you could see him grimace. That was a game Mayo needed badly.

galwayman

If Dublin win next week I think their open style of play will suit Mayo

BennyHarp

Quote from: galwayman on August 25, 2013, 06:06:54 PM
If Dublin win next week I think their open style of play will suit Mayo

Mayo's style may suit Dublin too - could be a cracking game!
That was never a square ball!!