Tyrone vs Mayo AISF Semi-Final - August 25th

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 03, 2013, 08:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Declan on August 23, 2013, 10:24:39 AM
Best of luck to both teams on Sunday - Hopefully it will be a good game though semi finals rarely are. Think Mayo will do it myself

Both semis were GotY contenders last year and they have quite a good hit rate. Strange thing to say.

nrico2006

Quote from: screenexile on August 23, 2013, 11:06:57 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on August 23, 2013, 10:43:24 AM
There has never really been a team in the GAA in my lifetime that were miles ahead of the rest of the pack with the result being a foregone conclusion.  Mayo could well win this game but I find the talk of the 'game being over at half time' and Mayo winning by 15 points to be crazy.  Mayo are a good side but they are no better than anything that I have seen over the past 20 years (and have yet to prove if they are really that good).  All Ireland semi finals are usally competitive games and for the life of me I just can't understand how everyone reckons Mayo have suddenly become an unstoppable force a la Kilkenny 2008.

Donegal Last year
Kerry 2009/2007/2006/2004

Donegal were making a good case for it but this year they have blown up.  The games last year against Cork, Tyrone and Kerry were far from foregone conclusions either.    The Kerry team you mentioned was not miles ahead of anybody else. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 23, 2013, 11:15:55 AM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 23, 2013, 10:51:17 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 23, 2013, 10:11:21 AM

If Tyrone are in with a chance with 15mins to go, they will win the game. It will have meant that this great Mayo team were not the free flowing attacking machine that they have been made out to be as Tyrone had matched them for 55mins. Mayo doubts will resurface and Tyrone are masters at closing out the big games.
And you accuse Emmett Ryan of lazy analysis, when have Mayo doubts surfaced previously?
What dont you say we choke in finals or we have no forwards  ::)

The fact is that in every senior and minor championship since 1985, when they last won the minor all ireland title, Mayo's arses have fallen out of their challenge at some point, be that in Connaught,  AI Semi or final. (In that time Tyrone have won 5 minor AI and 3 Senior - which I would argue creates a tradition of winning big games) Now you can argue that they have won big games and I agree, yes they have, but they have never followed this up. I believe that this history plays on the mind of players and perhaps played a part in the nightmare finals v Kerry a few years ago. What I am saying, and if you read the rest of my post you'd probably have worked it out, is that this team have yet to prove they have greater mental fortitude than their predecessors - remember, this team lost the AI final last year! I think that that gives me enough evidence to back up my point, and it's not lazy analysis. (Plus I'm not selling book about my analysis which is why I was so critical - just like you may be on Martin Breheny!) I will reiterate (and I'm sure Mayo could hardly care less) that I will quite happily admit Mayo are a class team if they hammer Tyrone and go on to lift Sam. All I'm saying is hold your horses, boast when you win something and people like me all over the country will just have to suck it up! I'll be honest - ill be delighted or ye if you do!

Exactly what highorlow just said, we've lost AIFs in the past because we werent good enough, I dont think we've choked or have any lack of confidence
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

trueblue1234

Quote from: highorlow on August 23, 2013, 12:06:35 PM
QuoteNow you can argue that they have won big games and I agree, yes they have, but they have never followed this up. I believe that this history plays on the mind of players and perhaps played a part in the nightmare finals v Kerry a few years ago. What I am saying, and if you read the rest of my post you'd probably have worked it out, is that this team have yet to prove they have greater mental fortitude than their predecessors - remember, this team lost the AI final last year! I think that that gives me enough evidence to back up my point, and it's not lazy analysis.

Benny, go and listen to Horan's interview.

Mayo are sick and tired of this yearly tripe that comes out.

We lost match's previously because the opposition was better than us. No other reason.

Unfortunately until you win the big one, this will be rolled out year on year. It can be put to bed once that happens (And I think it will this year!) But it's fair comment. Mayo played well below their previous level in last years final. Surely you can understand why some people will put that down to choking/ pressure etc.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Syferus

Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 23, 2013, 12:16:25 PM
QuoteNow you can argue that they have won big games and I agree, yes they have, but they have never followed this up. I believe that this history plays on the mind of players and perhaps played a part in the nightmare finals v Kerry a few years ago. What I am saying, and if you read the rest of my post you'd probably have worked it out, is that this team have yet to prove they have greater mental fortitude than their predecessors - remember, this team lost the AI final last year! I think that that gives me enough evidence to back up my point, and it's not lazy analysis.

We lost match's previously because the opposition was better than us. No other reason.

Unfortunately until you win the big one, this will be rolled out year on year. It can be put to bed once that happens (And I think it will this year!) But it's fair comment. Mayo played well below their previous level in last years final. Surely you can understand why some people will put that down to choking/ pressure etc.

They conceded a sucker punch goal but there was very little difference in the level they played at in the final and SF.

larryin89

Only hope Tyrone have is that some of our better players get injured and ye might be getting a head start in that regard according to a massive rumour doing the rounds.

It started off by , he didn't train last week, then it was he's grand and now it's , no way will he start.

Anyone else hearing this stuff?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Zulu

Quote from: NAG1 on August 23, 2013, 11:32:30 AM
Quote from: Declan on August 23, 2013, 10:24:39 AM
Best of luck to both teams on Sunday - Hopefully it will be a good game though Football semi finals rarely are. Think Mayo will do it myself

Fixed that for you there Declan  ;D

On the contrary, football semi finals are often the best games of the year, both of last years games were excellent, Down/Kildare and Cork/Dublin were brilliant in 2010 as well.

BennyHarp

Fair enough, and talk is cheap on both sides but the only way to stop this tripe is to go win the all Ireland. And until then hold your horses, ye aren't a great team yet!
That was never a square ball!!

BennyHarp

Quote from: larryin89 on August 23, 2013, 12:18:34 PM
Only hope Tyrone have is that some of our better players get injured and ye might be getting a head start in that regard according to a massive rumour doing the rounds.

It started off by , he didn't train last week, then it was he's grand and now it's , no way will he start.

If ye are so great you will win without him - no excuses now lads!!
That was never a square ball!!

larryin89

Andy made an interesting point yesterday, he said the intensity and speed of last years semi final v Dublin was a lot better than what we did v Donegal in QF this year.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

sans pessimism

Quote from: larryin89 on August 23, 2013, 12:18:34 PM

oh yes the rumours have started.....a little earlier than most years -FACT:AoS took his place in a full bloodied A v B game in Enfield last w/end ....where do these things start???
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Zulu

I agree highorlow, Mayo performed all of last year and have done so again this year. When they have lost over the years they have been beaten by better teams though perhaps they could have dug the heels in more and prevented some of the clippings they got. However, this team has always performed and I expect them to do so again this Sunday. That's not to say they won't lose, any team can lose a 2 horse race, but I don't think they'll completely under perform.

In saying that I don't quite understand the confidence of some Mayo supporters, Tyrone will also perform and I think they'll have a good tactical plan to curb Mayo's main players. I think they'll definitely shackle some of Mayo's better players so a Mayo win might be dependent on some other players stepping up to the plate. I think it is fair to still have questions about Mayo but I'm not sure Tyrone have the wherewithal to really ask them. I expect a close game with Mayo edging it by 2 - 3 points and I certainly can't see a hammering dished out by either team.

ballinaman

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: SkillfulBill on August 23, 2013, 10:57:25 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on Today at 10:11:21 AM

If Tyrone are in with a chance with 15mins to go, they will win the game. It will have meant that this great Mayo team were not the free flowing attacking machine that they have been made out to be as Tyrone had matched them for 55mins. Mayo doubts will resurface and Tyrone are masters at closing out the big games.
And you accuse Emmett Ryan of lazy analysis, when have Mayo doubts surfaced previously?
What dont you say we choke in finals or we have no forwards 

Strangle enough I think you just answered your own question
Ahem... I think we're talking about semi-finals here, aren't we?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi