Tyrone vs Mayo AISF Semi-Final - August 25th

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 03, 2013, 08:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: supersarsfields on August 21, 2013, 09:16:07 AM
Geez the Mayo lads don't like it when some of us Tyronies build up our chances. Getting very touchy.

Ya's are losing it. Pressure of the favorite tag has ya ruined!! Can only see one result now.

This build up reminds me of Clare in the 1990s. Everyone wanted them to win the hurling. but after they won they behaved as nouveau riche and looked down their noses at everyone else.

From a Mayo point of view we usually go to semi-finals in Croker with hope and little else. The big exceptions to this in my opinion were 1997 & 2004. We were favourites and entitled to be.

This year the bookies have us favourites and on form we are entitled to be. That will mean nothing when the ball is thrown in as always and we could easily be beaten. Tyrone are one of the best teams at making a dogfight of a game and they know how to win.

However the snobbish put downs of Mayo from the occasional (and new it must be said) posters reminds me of the Clare supporters of the late 1990s.

Tyrone may well win, but Mayo are justifiably favourites at the moment. Some of the nouveau riche need to learn it is no longer 2008.
MWWSI 2017

EC Unique

There will be some meltdown by a few Mayo bucks on here if they don't win! Their expectations must put serious pressure on the players who no doubt will know that anything less that an AI title will be a complete failure in their supporters eyes.

muppet

Quote from: EC Unique on August 21, 2013, 09:36:30 AM
There will be some meltdown by a few Mayo bucks on here if they don't win! Their expectations must put serious pressure on the players who no doubt will know that anything less that an AI title will be a complete failure in their supporters eyes.

Correct, except the bit about the players. That has been the case in every game including Salthill and it hasn't bothered them.

I hope Horan and the lads read some of the Tyrone posts here dismissing them as chokers and losers.
MWWSI 2017

ONeill

If Mayo lose this, will they be stepping down as a county?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

muppet

Quote from: ONeill on August 21, 2013, 09:44:31 AM

What, and refer to recent history for your answer, makes you think we will fade away if we lose?

Must try harder.
MWWSI 2017

Bod Mor

Sure didn't we step on Down already last year in the quarters. Ye're turn thos year :)
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

ONeill

This is different to every other year. Mayo are everyone's banker for the AI and it not even a month away. Virtually unbackable. That's some bloody pressure.

It'll take them 10/15 years to recover as a county.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

BennyHarp

Quote from: muppet on August 21, 2013, 09:34:18 AM
Quote from: supersarsfields on August 21, 2013, 09:16:07 AM
Geez the Mayo lads don't like it when some of us Tyronies build up our chances. Getting very touchy.

Ya's are losing it. Pressure of the favorite tag has ya ruined!! Can only see one result now.

This build up reminds me of Clare in the 1990s. Everyone wanted them to win the hurling. but after they won they behaved as nouveau riche and looked down their noses at everyone else.

From a Mayo point of view we usually go to semi-finals in Croker with hope and little else. The big exceptions to this in my opinion were 1997 & 2004. We were favourites and entitled to be.

This year the bookies have us favourites and on form we are entitled to be. That will mean nothing when the ball is thrown in as always and we could easily be beaten. Tyrone are one of the best teams at making a dogfight of a game and they know how to win.

However the snobbish put downs of Mayo from the occasional (and new it must be said) posters reminds me of the Clare supporters of the late 1990s.

Tyrone may well win, but Mayo are justifiably favourites at the moment. Some of the nouveau riche need to learn it is no longer 2008.

Mayo fans are behaving like nouveau riche before they have even won a modern day All Ireland. I've been around this board long enough, I just happen to have a bit more spare time to post this past few weeks and I've never read such touchiness from a bunch of lads in the lead up to a game. A Tyrone poster can't predict a Tyrone win without being gang banged by half of Mayo. I've said on this thread before that I respect Mayo and what Horan has done, I've also said that I think its unlikely Tyrone will win the game, but I'm also allowed to make points with regards to why I think Tyrone deserve a bit of respect too and that this may not be foregone conclusion.
That was never a square ball!!

Tubberman

Now the real Tyrone spirit is coming out! It was all far too polite and respectful for the lead up to a big match involving the red handers.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

rrhf

When Mayo lost to Meath after a replay in 96 in heart breaking gut wrenching style, I felt that their indiscipline cost the team badly in the early part of the replay.  They worked that one out regrouped improved their discipline, plugged all the gaps, trained hard and got right back in there to make the 97 final where Ok  they might have got hockeyed again but they still showed a perseverance and stoicness which is their greatest admirable quality.  Any other county after the misery of 89,96,97, 2004, 2007 and 2011, would simply accept the fact that their football culture dosent lend itself to that type of mental and physical toughness required at the level they so often find themselves at, from being born of Connaught and surrounded by teams that don't really take it as seriously as themselves.  When they got tough against Meath they lost and unfortunately they questioned their approach to that game and refined it.  If you ask me that refinement of their football approach has cost them all Irelands - They became too nice and likeable.  As Colm Coyle polishes his 96 all Ireland medal and sets it back on the mantelpiece he probably cant even remember that he was sent off that day.       

larryin89

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=-jOWkw79Uyo

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QA--8hBcGhA&feature=related

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U-zP_gkTrzk

Just watch the games , compare to Mayo and make up your mind , it's simple , this over analysing nowadays is madness.

Larry is young and innocent, larry is a wum , larry is from Hoganstand blah blah , Larry will be right though.

Best Mayo team in history in the making, some wont realise till the dream is realised others can feel it already.   

Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

BennyHarp

Quote from: Tubberman on August 21, 2013, 09:59:53 AM
Now the real Tyrone spirit is coming out! It was all far too polite and respectful for the lead up to a big match involving the red handers.

Yes, like Crete Boom threatening to hit me?  ;D You lads are very civilised,  ::)
That was never a square ball!!

rrhf

rrhf

muppet

For the anoraks

As far as I can figure out (since 1900) Mayo has lost All-Ireland semi-finals to Ulster opposition twice:

1937 against Cavan
1992 Donegal

Mayo has beaten Uslter opposition in semi-finals 4 times:

1932 Cavan won
1950 Armagh won
1989 Tyrone won
2004 Fermanagh

Mayo played Tyrone 3 times in the Championship:

1989 Won
2004 Won
2008  Lost
MWWSI 2017