Tyrone vs Mayo AISF Semi-Final - August 25th

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 03, 2013, 08:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 15, 2013, 04:27:50 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 15, 2013, 03:55:41 PM
Quote from: orangeman on August 15, 2013, 09:50:21 AM
Mayo will win this by a bagful but this match doesn't matter.

It's what Mayo do against Dublin or Kerry in the final that matters. Beating Tyrone won't be anything to go shouting from the rooftops about.

True. Mayo have got into a habit of defeating defending All Ireland champions and winning semi finals however can they break the habit of losing All Ireland finals?

Tyrone have a good habit of winning All Ireland Semi-Finals too.

Wasn't a habit those Tyrone sides were good enough to win All Ireland titles. This current Tyrone side have got into a habit of struggling past inferior teams and then hammered by top five side as the last two championship exits to Kerry,Dublin has proved.

ONeill

Do any of our more aged members remember Mayo's win?

Lar? Hardy?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

DJGaliv

I'm really looking forward to this game next weekend. Tyrone with numerous former all stars and a wealth of experience of producing under pressure against a fresh looking Mayo team who appear as powerful and ruthless a team as I have seen ever to come out of Connacht.

Sean Cavanagh only got a point in their meeting back in the league. Mayo wiped Tyrone from kickouts that day but still lost by a last minute goal. I imagine Tyrone feel if they can curb Mayo's domination at midfield they could win this game. It's unlikely though the way O'Shea is going.

It will be very interesting to see how Mickey Harte approaches this one, knowing that Mayo don't look to have been tested so far in the championship. I imagine Mayo will get a bit of a shock early on, and steady the ship after half time. Mayo by 4 in the end.

orangeman

Quote from: ONeill on August 15, 2013, 05:34:10 PM

Lar? Hardy?

Did you mean to type Laurel and Hardy ?

How would Laurel and Hardy remember Mayo's last win ?

muppet

Quote from: orangeman on August 15, 2013, 05:42:36 PM

Lar? Hardy?

They were in the half back line.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: ONeill on August 15, 2013, 04:35:22 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on August 15, 2013, 03:50:58 PM
Why pussy foot about?  I am confident of a Tyrone win to be honest, had a good year so far and losing Penrose is a blessing in disguise.  The league is a long time over but when I think back to the Mayo game Tyrone were pretty much in control that day too.  Wee buns

Good man - 10 tens days to go - time to flick the switch.

Do we fear Mayo - of course we effin don't. Every year we back Mayo when Tyrone go out and what happens? They shite in the nest. The morning of the All-Ireland we're wishing them well. 20 mins in and it's feck Mayo - yiz deserve that hammering.

They could well dung the togs again - fall to pieces like they did against us with 20 mins to go in 2008. Ricey stared them all in the eye and managed to stir their natural tendency towards ineptitude. One wee man from Dromore did that.

Tyrone by 1.
You had the same script last year before the Kerry match. Tyrone are not good enough yet.
This Mayo team will play them off the pitch.
2008 is a very long time ago. When Tyrone last won the all Ireland the average free state house price was north of 250K. 

orangeman

Quote from: muppet on August 15, 2013, 05:47:33 PM
Quote from: orangeman on August 15, 2013, 05:42:36 PM

Lar? Hardy?

They were in the half back line.

Did they play for in any subsequent finals ?

ONeill

sans pessimism

"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

ONeill

See above.

Seafoid is making things up. Typical Dub

lenny

See Micky harte has come up with an interesting defense for gormley and Penrose. He says you have to judge the whole incident and take into account what has been said to the players. I'm not sure that'll stand up in court for you Micky as a defence for striking and attempted striking.

muppet

Quote from: lenny on August 15, 2013, 06:33:05 PM
See Micky harte has come up with an interesting defense for gormley and Penrose. He says you have to judge the whole incident and take into account what has been said to the players. I'm not sure that'll stand up in court for you Micky as a defence for striking and attempted striking.

Its called con - text.
MWWSI 2017

Fear ón Srath Bán

When ONeill is optimistic, I'm officially worried. The Ballina Bugler is not full of bullshit, bet on it.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

tyssam5

Quote from: babarino on August 14, 2013, 11:02:39 PM
Quote from: Whishtup on August 14, 2013, 10:34:05 PM
Quote from: babarino on August 14, 2013, 09:48:53 PM
Quote from: Sandy Hill on August 14, 2013, 09:37:33 PM
Would love to see a breakdown of fouls by type! Compare lifting the ball off the ground with a rugby type tackle---both fouls.

+1

It's not how often but how significant the cynicism is at a particular stage of the game. While there is a certain antipathy to Ulster or 'the north' among many southerners, it's wrong to say this is generally the case. This 'anti-Tyrone' feeling has arisen from how good they are at it.

A red or black card doesn't make much difference in the last few minutes of the game. The arguments against the black card are valid. It won't make much difference. The only thing I can see that will stop a rugby tackle, when a player is one on one with the keeper is a penalty goal. Another suggestion by the head of the Munster board, from Kerry I think, was also interesting - legalise the 'rugby tackle.

I think it's pretty clear what 'have been fouled' and 'have fouled the opposition' means. Surely you're not going to be 'cynical' about this letter, eh?

This particular Tyrone team has been blackened by the sort of unfounded statement that I have highlighted in your comment about the anti-Tyrone feeling.  And when you have the Southern media backing it up, you have a huge anti-Tyrone GAA feeling amongst a hell of a lot of people-I have seen it here in Limerick this past few weeks-a neutral county in the debate.  It's very disheartening after the general goodwill that there was round here in 2005, 2008.

You can talk about whingeing and moaning, etc. but there is something more serious at play here where you have elite amateur athletes being consistently dragged over the coals and publicly tainted on one team only!.  We're sick to the teeth of the double standards at this stage.

It simply wouldn't happen in hurling and while Pat Spillane and Colm O'Rourke aren't saying much these days, they have a lot to answer for by whinging and cribbing through grimaces about aspects of play that they didn't like in the previous decade-God, we'll miss Michael michael o muircheartaigh!

Whoever the statistician for Tyrone he/she doesn't make it clear. Seamus Darby wouldn't have scored the winner for Offaly if Kerry played the way Tyrone play now, and they were no angels. Football followers turned a blind eye to Canavan's antics against Kerry when they hadn't won an All-Ireland. Sorry, but now you've got three you can expect to be judged on the same basis as others. Also, you'll find that Gaels in Down and Derry, argue that Tyrone have perfected cynicism, so don't overplay the north / south thing.

Please note the classic rugby tackle from a Kerryman on 2:40 in this clip that actually gave Offaly the change to get the ball in, a cynical rugby tackle in midfield that backfired.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kba6NYKQH5k