Tyrone vs Mayo AISF Semi-Final - August 25th

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 03, 2013, 08:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 09, 2013, 12:40:25 AM
Well, if you teach your youngsters cynical ways it won't stop at the white line. Your society
will suffer in equal measures.

Do the right thing.

You have no proof of that, only the 'word' of a demonstrable liar -- best not to propagate such lies for fear of being tarnished oneself.

Brolly has been jumping through all sorts of retrospective hoops to justify his ballistic outburst, dressing it up on all manner of retroactive compulsions.

In any case, you have a game against Dublin to be concerned about, no errand to be trolling around this one.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Syferus

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 09, 2013, 12:45:34 AM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 09, 2013, 12:40:25 AM
Well, if you teach your youngsters cynical ways it won't stop at the white line. Your society
will suffer in equal measures.

Do the right thing.

You have no proof of that, only the 'word' of a demonstrable liar -- best not to propagate such lies for fear of being tarnished oneself.

Brolly has been jumping through all sorts of retrospective hoops to justify his ballistic outburst, dressing it up on all manner of retroactive compulsions.

In any case, you have a game against Dublin to be concerned about, no errand to be trolling around this one.

To be fair, it's not like your minors are learning it through telepathy, now is it? It's not just Tyrone but to deny it's happening is a little much.

Oh, and don't mind the troll.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 08, 2013, 09:14:28 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on August 08, 2013, 09:08:38 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 08, 2013, 08:54:37 PM
FFS, lenny says Tyrone is awash with hype and nobody has yet written in to deny this. A couple of Donegal folk who pass through the county regularly tell me the place is awash with hype and arrogance.
Sounds like a couple of Donegal folk who speak to you are talking utter bollocks.  ::) There's a few more flags hanging out from some houses at this time of year than there has been in the last few years and that's about it, no one (at least off this board) is confident of a Tyrone win that I've spoken to - at best edging a close game. Any hype is only a fraction of what it was at this stage before the semi against Kerry a decade ago. Wiser and less desperate heads now.  8)

This time of year we have to fight (aka negotiate) with the local brethren to get our GAA flags up, in the place of their 17th century yokes (Newtown Bypass for one).

Just out of curiosity Fear, what percentage of the population is "themmuns?"
I presume that few if any are interested in Tyrone GAA affairs.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 09, 2013, 01:03:09 AM
Just out of curiosity Fear, what percentage of the population is "themmuns?"
I presume that few if any are interested in Tyrone GAA affairs.

As a percentage Lar, it's about 60%-40% Nationalist for the whole county (at a guess), and whilst by no means would all of those from the other side of the house be hostile towards Gaelic Games, those that aren't would tend to keep a rather low profile (as much to avoid brickbats from their 'own' side as anything else).

There would be a small number who would venture to the games, to be sure, such as a brother-in-law of mine (who accompanied me to an NFL game in Omagh a while back), but in general they'd give the games a wide berth, alas.

Having said that, however, there'd be an unspoken pride when the Red Hand prospers!  ;)

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 09, 2013, 12:11:58 AM
There's easily 100+ pages in this one

25 by Sunday,
Slowing a bit next week but still adding 10 more
Notching up a further 30+ in the last week until throw in
And at least 40 between the game and aftermath

And about 10 pages of that will be irrelevant references to Roscommon from Syferus
Hasta la victoria siempre

Aaron Boone

And 10 more on accusations and denials of arrogance.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Syferus on August 08, 2013, 08:07:55 PM
Quote from: sam03/05 on August 08, 2013, 08:02:15 PM
Oisin McConville on radio the other day saying that Tyrone will get a 16 point beating!
The main point of the discussion was by how many points Mayo would win by and who they would be playing in the final.

We all know it's going to be Dublin.

Tyrone and Kerry really share this cute hoorism trait. No wonder ye hate each other so much.

Here's an interesting thing. The hate only goes one way. Kerry despise Tyrone right down to their marrow, as Mike has sportingly reminded us on this thread, but I've never got the sense that Tyrone hate Kerry. I met some supporters at a League game in Omagh once and they gave me the impression that they were hurt by Kerry's refusal to give them credit for winning three All-Irelands in six years, never having won one before, but they certainly didn't hate Kerry. They have no reason to.

For all Kerry's talk about sportsmanship, they bore the lack of sportsmanship of the Meath team of the 1980s in silence. But then again, it wasn't Kerry who were on the business end of it in those games. Maybe that had something to do with it.

Hardy

Hey! Leave us out of this unseemly bickering. Everybody knows we define sportsmanship. Hard and fair, leave it on the pitch, keep your mouth shut, no schoolgirlish recriminations about who pulled whose hair, etc. Man's game. You know yourself.

nrico2006

Did McConville really predict a 16 point win for Mayo?  Surprised if anyone understood him to be honest.  As for Brolly, never met a man who likes to go on and on as if he is best friends with the manager of this team, that team and the other - how would thon wee bollox know what any average minor team in Tyrone is getting coached? 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Mayo Mick

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 08, 2013, 11:23:22 PM
What I don't understand about Tyrone is the way they feel the need to coach their youngsters to cheat and drag men down. If they have the natural talent they claim they have then surely this would not be necessary ?

..or is it any means necessary ala Sean Cavanagh ?

Probably they decided to model themselves on Kerry as they saw how tactical fouling was profitably used by the Kingdom. Tyrone are still a bit raw at the fouling and lack Kerry's skill at making the deliberate foul look innocuous.
If You Don't Bring Home The Bacon, You'll Get Treated Like A Pig!!

AMayoFan

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 08, 2013, 08:54:37 PM
All slagging aside, I was delighted for Tyronies everywhere when you finally won Sam. I'd say most GAA fans everywhere felt the same. 'Tis said that God loves a trier  and  he, whoever he is, must have relented a bit to let Peter Canavan finally get his hands on a Celtic Cross.
Tyrone had certainly been trying hard for many years and never lost hope.
I'd say Tyrone followers must have felt every bit as sick after the '95 final as we were after the '96 one. Like us, you shower have had a lot more dinner times than dinners but you did nail Sam in the end.
Tyrone were very popular winners and the fact that they beat Kerry along the way earned them even more respect. Stuff Pat Spillane and his "Puke Football;" it was the moaning of a sore loser.
I'll wish Tyrone good luck for the final. I feel most Mayo heads feel the same way and I haven't come across any remotely serious post here that claims Mayo will annihilate Tyrone.
So what's the caterwauling going on here all about

I whole heartily echo Lar sediments here. I also like to add, the Tyrone supporters really won me over in the '08 campaign, as living in Dublin, I saw first hand the huge support week in and week out they gave. They had to travel to Dublin weekly for most of that summer lol.

EC Unique

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 09, 2013, 08:35:09 AM
Did McConville really predict a 16 point win for Mayo?  Surprised if anyone understood him to be honest.  As for Brolly, never met a man who likes to go on and on as if he is best friends with the manager of this team, that team and the other - how would thon wee bollox know what any average minor team in Tyrone is getting coached?

He would not have a clue what is being coached, he just throws out these accusations with no facts to back them up and a lot of fools believe him.

omagh_gael

Just for the craic Mike go to the tg4 website and watch GAA 2013 from Monday evening. It won't take too long as the Tyrone v Kerry minor QF is the first game. In the second half of extra time a Tyrone player skillfully weaves his way into the Kerry square (almost kingdom-esqe, if I may be so bold) and rounds the Keeper who unceremoniously drags him down Brian O'Driscoll style. This young Tyrone lad was on the cusp of scoring a famous goal for himself and his county yet cynical play denied him his moment in the sun. Needless to say the penalty was missed which could have thwarted the efforts of 30 young fellas trying to capture the Tom Markham. However, our poor young lads stood tall and fought off the dastardly men from the south to march on to victory.

Don't say it too loud but I heard this sort of stuff is regularly being coached in the south west corner of Ireland, however, I for one would never believe a man in green and gold would never lower himself to such actions ;)

nrico2006

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 09, 2013, 10:20:17 AM
Just for the craic Mike go to the tg4 website and watch GAA 2013 from Monday evening. It won't take too long as the Tyrone v Kerry minor QF is the first game. In the second half of extra time a Tyrone player skillfully weaves his way into the Kerry square (almost kingdom-esqe, if I may be so bold) and rounds the Keeper who unceremoniously drags him down Brian O'Driscoll style. This young Tyrone lad was on the cusp of scoring a famous goal for himself and his county yet cynical play denied him his moment in the sun. Needless to say the penalty was missed which could have thwarted the efforts of 30 young fellas trying to capture the Tom Markham. However, our poor young lads stood tall and fought off the dastardly men from the south to march on to victory.

Don't say it too loud but I heard this sort of stuff is regularly being coached in the south west corner of Ireland, however, I for one would never believe a man in green and gold would never lower himself to such actions ;)

It was a great effort from the 13 young fellas from Tyrone to beat the 15 from Kerry too.  Imagine the damage done if we had the full 15 on the pitch.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 09, 2013, 10:26:26 AM
It was a great effort from the 13 young fellas from Tyrone to beat the 15 from Kerry too.  Imagine the damage done if we had the full 15 on the pitch.

In extra-time there were, and we did!  ;) :)

Some whinging from Mickey Ned!  :(