Time for Joe to go??

Started by cadhlancian, August 03, 2013, 08:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oraisteach

Brolly's right in his assessment, but equally Cavanagh did what I would have done, and have done, in similar, albeit less significant circumstances.  The fault lies in the rules.  The rules for an act such as Cavanagh's should require a red card, but they don't.

Can't wait for a report on the next St. Pat's past pupils' reunion.  Better have clear rules in place for that too.

Rawhide

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on August 04, 2013, 12:25:48 AM
Sean Cavanagh like all excellent players has faults, but with three All-Ireland medals in his pocket and a player of the year award - more than any player who has worn the Oak leaf jersey, any Derry manager would give their left nut to have him on the county team. It might even help lift them from the irrelevance they are to the Ulster and All-Ireland football championship in the past decade.

If you had brains you would be dangerous, when we had a team their was no back door, you have won the same number as ourselves through the front door. We can do nothing about the timing of when we had a great team, same as yourselves, only difference the rules about knock out changed to your advantage around the same time as your team was arriving. Bin liner.
cccc is a true supporter lol

thejuice

I must be mad.

I prefer my players to play honest and win honestly. Gaelic football is a better game when you see diving blocks, dispossessions with near hand tackles, you know, the type of football you were taught as a young lad, lets not kid ourselves that today's game was good to watch. I would say few neutrals enjoyed it. If you honestly feel we saw something inspirational in that game today I would be a bit worried about the game.

I don't blame players for playing to win within the rules but then you must conclude then that the rule book has a major flaw within it. In any sport the rule book changes to encourage honest play. I've been watching NFL for about 10-ish years and in that time they have change the rules to make it fairer, to keep players honest, to encourage core skills almost on a yearly basis. OK they have given the attackers a slight advantage but surely the same should be done with GAA without causing the game to suffer.

I don't mind defensive line ups, but systemic fouling needs to carry more risk for the defender.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

under the bar

So in terms of intent and outcome what is the difference between a wee clip on the heels and dragging the forward down en route to a goal-scoring opportunity?? 

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on August 04, 2013, 01:11:48 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 04, 2013, 12:32:33 AM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on August 04, 2013, 12:25:48 AM
Sean Cavanagh like all excellent players has faults, but with three All-Ireland medals in his pocket and a player of the year award - more than any player who has worn the Oak leaf jersey, any Derry manager would give their left nut to have him on the county team. It might even help lift them from the irrelevance they are to the Ulster and All-Ireland football championship in the past decade.

Aye he's alright, decent enough but you couldn't look at his big nyamin head all day  ;)
McIvor making selections based on pin-up looks? Priorities are wrong somewhere!  ;D

It's McIver.

give her dixie

I have had 2 personal experiences where Brolly has been the guest speaker at Tyrone events. The 1st was following the All Ireland win in '05 at a Club Tyrone dinner in the Armagh City Hotel. That night Joe tokk cheap and personal attacks at Michaela Harte. His disgustings comments went down like a lead balloon and his was lucky to escape that night without a hiding. In contrast, the other guest speaker, Benny Tierney, went down a treat and had everyone crying with laughter. Joe and Benny showed their class that night, and needless to say, anyone who have heard both men speak will get the jist of what i'm saying.

The next encounter with Joe was at a fundraiser for my club Edendork who had their clubhouse burned down in January '09. That night we had a '95 All Ireland revisited with Mattie McGleenahan, Paddy Russell, Charlie Redmond and Joe Brolly. During the night Sean Cavanagh showed up to lend his support and following a short interview with Mark Sidebottom, Joe couldn't help himself and he went on to take cheap and personal digs at Sean and played to the lowest common denominator.

Tonight Joe used his position once again to take personal jibes at Sean and Tyrone, and once again he showed himself up as someone who lacks class and dignity. RTE need to take a hard look at themselves as this type of punditry is something that belongs to the Jeremy Kyle show.

next stop, September 10, for number 4......

under the bar

Do you think Joe is jealous of Sean Cavanagh??

BennyHarp

Quote from: thejuice on August 04, 2013, 12:47:50 AM
I must be mad.

I prefer my players to play honest and win honestly. Gaelic football is a better game when you see diving blocks, dispossessions with near hand tackles, you know, the type of football you were taught as a young lad, lets not kid ourselves that today's game was good to watch. I would say few neutrals enjoyed it. If you honestly feel we saw something inspirational in that game today I would be a bit worried about the game.

I don't blame players for playing to win within the rules but then you must conclude then that the rule book has a major flaw within it. In any sport the rule book changes to encourage honest play. I've been watching NFL for about 10-ish years and in that time they have change the rules to make it fairer, to keep players honest, to encourage core skills almost on a yearly basis. OK they have given the attackers a slight advantage but surely the same should be done with GAA without causing the game to suffer.

I don't mind defensive line ups, but systemic fouling needs to carry more risk for the defender.

This makes me laugh coming from a county which introduced systematic fouling to Tyrone in '96. Teams were getting away with it then and they still are today!
That was never a square ball!!

Syferus

So this would have been a black card offence?

Given it's currently a red card offence (Cavanagh obviously deserved the line) isn't that lessening the penalty? I can see the only change being managers telling certain key players to not commit the black card offence in that situation while telling everyone else to have a field day.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Syferus on August 04, 2013, 01:28:41 AM

Given it's currently a red card offence (Cavanagh obviously deserved the line) isn't that lessening the penalty? I can see the only change being managers telling certain key players to not commit the black card offence in that situation while telling everyone else to have a field day.

How was it a red card offence?

Walter Cronc

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 04, 2013, 01:24:15 AM
Quote from: thejuice on August 04, 2013, 12:47:50 AM
I must be mad.

This makes me laugh coming from a county which introduced systematic fouling to Tyrone in '96. Teams were getting away with it then and they still are today!

Meath beat the shite out of Tyrone. There was nothing systematic about it!

thejuice

Make all the criticism of Meath all you want, I'm under no illusions at all about the conduct of some of our players.  Try not to think of this purely as a Tyrone fan. Any sport should have rules that encourage honest play. Think of what's good for the game. That's the important issue.

As a spectacle, as a sporting feat, you tell me which is better, to

a) drag a goal side attacker to the ground

or.

b) Sean dived in and knock the ball cleanly away at the last second

Which scenario makes for better, fairer sport? Which be should be encouraged by the rules? Tell me.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Syferus

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 04, 2013, 01:33:14 AM

How on earth isn't cynically fouling a player that's through on goal a red card offence? It's absolutely indefensible, referees at every level should be very expectedly told to send off players committing that particular type of foul. A red card alone is not enough to stop it happening match-losing situations but it'd do a damn sight better job than handing out yellow cards.

To be honest, I think the referee chickened out with Cavanagh because he'd already sent two players off and because he knew sending off Cavanagh would have completely turned the game in Monaghan's favour. In all the Brolly talk it's getting lost that the referee had an incredibly poor outing.

blewuporstuffed

How is it currently a red card offence? Under what current rule should cavanagh been sent off?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

BennyHarp

Quote from: Syferus on August 04, 2013, 01:39:28 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 04, 2013, 01:33:14 AM

How on earth isn't cynically fouling a player that's through on goal a red card offence? It's absolutely indefensible, referees at every level should be very expectedly told to send off players committing that particular type of foul. A red card alone is not enough to stop it happening match-losing situations but it'd do a damn sight better job than handing out yellow cards.

To be honest, I think the referee chickened out with Cavanagh because he'd already sent two players off and because he knew sending off Cavanagh would have completely turned the game in Monaghan's favour. In all the Brolly talk it's getting lost that the referee had an incredibly poor outing.

Yes you can argue that it should be but its not!