All-Ireland Gold TG4

Started by Wildweasel74, July 31, 2013, 06:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

How can you say Dublin were the best side in 1995 if Tyrone had reached the final unbeaten and were subsequently beaten by one of the worst refereeing decisions of all time coupled with one of the biggest gaffes in GAA history in the CR sending-off but staying on.  The match should have finished level.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Canalman

My recollection of the game was the very soft frees given to Tyrone during the game. Incident at the end was not conclusive ( imo of course).

Anyway, as already rightly pointed out Tyrone got a dubious penalty in 2005 against us which goes to show (as all soccer managers deny) that these things equalize themselves out over time. Armagh have a grievance I believe over the 2003 final ( adding another 5 pages to this thread).

For the sending off incident in 1995, there was definitely a case for another player being sent off as well.

Not all black and white guys.

Jinxy

I see the Tyrone lads are giving out again.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

nrico2006

Quote from: Jinxy on August 01, 2013, 01:13:54 PM
I see the Tyrone lads are giving out again.

It seemed to be everybody but the Tyrone lads giving out at the weekend there.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Jinxy

Joe Brolly was very annoyed with ye alright.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Johnnybegood

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 01, 2013, 12:56:05 PM
How can you say Dublin were the best side in 1995 if Tyrone had reached the final unbeaten and were subsequently beaten by one of the worst refereeing decisions of all time coupled with one of the biggest gaffes in GAA history in the CR sending-off but staying on.  The match should have finished level.
the ulster championship was a bit weak that year!

Fuzzman

None of ye Dubs answered my question how would ye have felt if ye had lost by a point and Canavan was sent off but didn't go off for 5 mins.
Would ye say fair enough or would ye want a rematch?

Well we finally got our rematch 2 years ago
http://www.teamtalkmag.com/archives/8461

Johnnybegood

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 01, 2013, 04:24:51 PM
None of ye Dubs answered my question how would ye have felt if ye had lost by a point and Canavan was sent off but didn't go off for 5 mins.
Would ye say fair enough or would ye want a rematch?

Well we finally got our rematch 2 years ago
http://www.teamtalkmag.com/archives/8461
would say fair enough as the first rule in the gaa rule book is that the referees decision is final!
Like I said before we've had some bad decisions go against us but in the cold light of day on reflection we've lost big games due to being not good enough! Tyrone had 2 scorers that day and all bar 2 points as far as I recall came from frees. How many of them where soft?

Wildweasel74

to be fair the previous 4 finals before this one where very good, (was at them all), Kerry v Mayo 97, Cork v Meath 99 were the 2 other poor finals in this decade but the standard of football was normally very good, but tactics had yet to count ta this stage outside of the famous 3rd midfielder role from the corner forward position, How that team beat a vastly superior derry team that year i never know.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 01, 2013, 06:51:18 PM
to be fair the previous 4 finals before this one where very good, (was at them all), Kerry v Mayo 97, Cork v Meath 99 were the 2 other poor finals in this decade but the standard of football was normally very good, but tactics had yet to count ta this stage outside of the famous 3rd midfielder role from the corner forward position, How that team beat a vastly superior derry team that year i never know.
an absolutely magnificent performance from Canavan  got tyrone over the line in a real war of a game.
I remember tohill being fantastic for derry as well tho
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Fuzzman

Yeah so vastly superior that Derry Tyrone went on to win a second Ulster in a row the year after. First time it was done in 20 years going back to Derry '75 & '76.
Canavan really was at his peak around those mid 90's.

fearglasmor

There would be something seriously wrong if the standard hadn't improved over the 80's 90's etc given the amount of time and money spent on preparing intercounty teams nowadays compared to then.
Even lads as recently retired as Darragh O'Sé and Ciarán Whelan have talked about the difference in the level of preparation when they retired compared to when they started.

But that doesn't mean the level of entertainment was any less then than it is now. There are good games and sh1te games now as there was then. And no game now will ever surpass Offaly and Downs achievement of bringing 90,000 people to Croke Park in the early 60's.