Longest Distance to Travel for a Club Game

Started by DownFanatic, July 31, 2013, 12:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lone Shark

Ballyskenach to Clonmore Harps, which would never happen because of the fact that Clonmore don't hurl and Ballyskenach don't play football, would be about 55 miles by the shortest route, though you'd probably take the M7, which would add seven or eight miles along with it. Crows can fly over the Slieve Blooms but cars have to take it very handy, particularly over a five mile stretch which has grass on it, yet google maps presumes you can traverse at 80kph.

The longest distance of a fixture in Offaly that might actually happen would be 'Skenagh to Edenderry, since Edenderry have a junior hurling team, which would be around 50 miles. Shinrone to Edenderry might be about that as well.

You'd imagine it would be longer, but a surprisingly large chunk of the southern tip of Offaly is Moneygall parish, who hurl in Tipperary.

SuperHans

In county Yorkshire, Newcastle Cu Chulainns had to play most of their league games in Leeds and Huddersfield. At least 1.5 hours each way

macdanger2

There's a story about Willie Joe Padden coming home from New York for a club championship game, landed in Shannon and a clubman was there to pick him up, drove him to Belmullet (~ 4h?) in time for the second half and he scored something like 4-3. Not sure how true it is but a good story all the same

muppet

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 02, 2013, 11:28:39 PM
There's a story about Willie Joe Padden coming home from New York for a club championship game, landed in Shannon and a clubman was there to pick him up, drove him to Belmullet (~ 4h?) in time for the second half and he scored something like 4-3. Not sure how true it is but a good story all the same

I'd say the score was 4 - 3 when he came on. WJP only ever scored 1 goal for Mayo (IIRC) and I would think scoring 4 goals in a Championship match was unlikely, unless of course Larry Reilly was coaching them.

Also transatlantic flights into Shannon are scheduled to land very early in the morning. He should have been on the road easily by 7. Not many clubs play their matches in the morning and if they were waiting on WJP, Belmullet would hardly have agreed to it.
MWWSI 2017

LaurelEye

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on July 31, 2013, 05:49:56 PM
I spose in Longford a trip by Dromard to play Cashel (and vice versa) would be the longest - perhaps a trip of 40 mins each way.

Laureleye may find fault with this as it's been a long time since I was traipsing up and down the by-roads of Longford to matches.

From Google Maps, pitch-to-pitch:

Cashel -> Abbeylara, 47.6 km, 49 mins N55
Cashel -> Granard, 46.6 km, 46 mins N55
Cashel -> Dromard, 45.3 km, 50 mins R198
Cashel -> Mullinalaghta, 45.0 km, 51 mins R194

But...

Dromard -> Forgney, 48.0 km, 46 mins R393 and R198

I don't think Dromard will be meeting Forgney any time soon though (no matter how hard Billy closes his eyes and wishes for it).

From the Cashel pitch to Ballyboy is the longest trip roadwise, but timewise Cashel to Derrycassan and Cashel to Legga edge it (and Derrycassan is as convenient a location as we can make it for the rest of the county without moving the pitch into Colmcille - everyone in Mullinalaghta lives a good bit on the other side of it; Podgie Berry lived/lives closer to the Laurels than any of our own players).
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.