Cross border working and paying tax

Started by Ulick, July 30, 2013, 07:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw ball

Quote from: screenexile on August 01, 2013, 11:36:19 AM
I've been working on a Southern Payroll for a couple of years now while living in the North. (Fcukin USC on my payslip each month the b**tards).

What way does this affect my tax in the North. I've never really bothered about it before but starting to think of pensions and the like and I'd imagine my lack of NI contributions will not help my case!

The overall position will depend on you own personal circumstances but as a general rule your overall income should be taxed in your country of residence. EG if you live in the north you should complete a tax return to work out your tax In the north. The tax paid in the south will go against this in a double taxation agreement. This is grand in many cases as the tax is roughly the same. If you are getting additional tax credits on your ROI PAYE income this can cause problems however. As for the national insurance although I am not to well versed on this I know you can opt out of paying PRSI in the south and pay NIC in the north. The best thing to do would be see an accountant with some cross border tax experience. Try not to choose an expensive one though!!