Tyrone v Monaghan Quarter Final

Started by tyronefan, July 27, 2013, 10:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schkite

Quote from: hardstation on August 02, 2013, 10:50:24 PM
Quote from: babarino on August 02, 2013, 10:23:56 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 02, 2013, 09:42:02 PM
Looking forward to this game but really expecting a Tyrone win. They are a better team than Monaghan by a distance but shocks can happen. Donegal are a much better team than Monaghan but were well beaten by them in a one off.

Can see it being tight enough scores wise but Tyrone always comfortable.

Insightful pre-match analysis here. If Monaghan win, it's another shock one off. If Tyrone win, again you're right.  ::)

What so Monaghan are now a better team than the current AI champions despite being Gladys Knight for a long time before that one game? FFS Donegal would bate them handy 99 out of 100 times. Tyrone would too. I know yis are on a high but a small dose of reality wouldn't go a miss.

Now I don't think it'd be quite that high. And I think you're overrating Tyrone quite a bit there, they've a few experienced veterans knocking about still and are a danger but I don't think they're anything special, and I haven't seen anything from them so far that would make me think otherwise. The experience that Mickey and the older lads have at this level make them slight favorites but I'm confident we'll take them tomorrow.

macdanger2

I fancy Monaghan for this, maybe by 2-3 points. If they can reach 75-80% of the intensity they showed against Monaghan, it'll be enough to beat Tyrone, big IF though.

cluaineois

Quote from: hardstation on August 02, 2013, 10:50:24 PM
Quote from: babarino on August 02, 2013, 10:23:56 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 02, 2013, 09:42:02 PM
Looking forward to this game but really expecting a Tyrone win. They are a better team than Monaghan by a distance but shocks can happen. Donegal are a much better team than Monaghan but were well beaten by them in a one off.

Can see it being tight enough scores wise but Tyrone always comfortable.

Insightful pre-match analysis here. If Monaghan win, it's another shock one off. If Tyrone win, again you're right.  ::)

What so Monaghan are now a better team than the current AI champions despite being Gladys Knight for a long time before that one game? FFS Donegal would bate them handy 99 out of 100 times. Tyrone would too. I know yis are on a high but a small dose of reality wouldn't go a miss.          What are you talking about. Monaghan beat Donegal by 13-07. What then makes them a better team. I think you might be a bit miffed because your team gave one of the most pathetic displays in this years championship.
once your a clone your never alone

babarino

Quote from: Whishtup on August 02, 2013, 11:21:26 PM
Quote from: babarino on August 02, 2013, 10:43:30 PM
Quote from: Whishtup on August 02, 2013, 10:25:28 PM
Quote from: babarino on August 02, 2013, 07:41:37 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on August 02, 2013, 05:43:33 PM
Well may the best team win and I hope there's no aul messing or sendings off.
I trust we'll be in red and they'll be in blue or will ye try it on again with that one?

Hope Brolly isn't too shocked by the cynicism again.

Like yourself Fuzzman I hope there'll be no messin' or sendings off, but I won't hold my breath.

Wearing red, white, blue - as if that matters. That stuff was what passed for trying to get the upper hand under previous management.

The ref will need to put down a marker early on with the tactical fouling, an area where Tyrone are better than us. We've tended to react in the past, get men sent off, a la the Omagh game in the rain, where the Tyrone foul count far exceeded ours yet they finish the game with 15.

The cynicism again is to be expected. That's why they're introducing the black card.

The best teams tackle right on the edge-that takes a lot of practice.  Tyrone from what I can see have brought their tackling back to just within the limits-that's why all the pundits before the Meath match had been saying how professional and controlled Tyrone were in the tackle this year.  A few minutes of desparation at the end of the Meath match, bouyed by some one-sided, defamatory commentating and cheap journalism has created a false perception of the team.  It will be a shame if referees are also influenced by this rubbish. 
                   Monaghan brought some ferocious but fair tackling to the Donegal game.  I would like to think that both teams can bring their most intense game to the table without fear of the game being slowed by a fussy ref.

In what seems to be the best championship in years, we're still moaning...  

Apart from the crap in Casement, this has been a good championship. We all want the best team to win, if it's our team, but there comes a point where the rules have to allow the team with the best footballing skills to come out on top, not the one that has even spread of yellows and no reds.

If Tyrone outplay us there'll be no quibble from the Monaghan camp, as after our 2010 Ulster Final encounter. You surely must understand where the wider gaelic football following are coming from when they criticise the antics of Tyrone pulling down Meath players in the last 10 minutes of that game. Yes the most successful do it, but not to that level.

What level?  The level that it was escalated to by Brolly and Canning?  Why aren't the wider gaelic football following berating Meath, who were much more cynical over the 70 minutes?  Because Brolly decided to have a bit of craic-fill a few columns with his sensationalist   bleatings and people are actually running with it.
It's an indictment on any county team working their nads off week in and week out to have their efforts tarnished by lazy reporting and journalism.   

It's not in any way unique to Tyrone, but it was exemplified by them in the Meath game. Meath were making a gutsy effort to win the game and they were hauled down repeatedly at the vital stage of the match, while the offenders held the hands up with the 'sorry about that ref' look.

It wasn't 'lazy, sensationalist bleatings', it was stating the obvious. Tactical fouling destroys the game as a spectacle and is far more damaging to player commitment than 'lazy reporting'. And of course if the Monaghan lads out foul the Tyronies tomorrow and win, I'll be happy, but that don't make it right.

cluaineois

Even the Donegal team and supporters said after the ulster final that they were beaten by a better team. What are you basing your opinion on . Is it results last year?

Whishtup

Quote from: babarino on August 02, 2013, 11:48:35 PM
Quote from: Whishtup on August 02, 2013, 11:21:26 PM
Quote from: babarino on August 02, 2013, 10:43:30 PM
Quote from: Whishtup on August 02, 2013, 10:25:28 PM
Quote from: babarino on August 02, 2013, 07:41:37 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on August 02, 2013, 05:43:33 PM
Well may the best team win and I hope there's no aul messing or sendings off.
I trust we'll be in red and they'll be in blue or will ye try it on again with that one?

Hope Brolly isn't too shocked by the cynicism again.

Like yourself Fuzzman I hope there'll be no messin' or sendings off, but I won't hold my breath.

Wearing red, white, blue - as if that matters. That stuff was what passed for trying to get the upper hand under previous management.

The ref will need to put down a marker early on with the tactical fouling, an area where Tyrone are better than us. We've tended to react in the past, get men sent off, a la the Omagh game in the rain, where the Tyrone foul count far exceeded ours yet they finish the game with 15.

The cynicism again is to be expected. That's why they're introducing the black card.

The best teams tackle right on the edge-that takes a lot of practice.  Tyrone from what I can see have brought their tackling back to just within the limits-that's why all the pundits before the Meath match had been saying how professional and controlled Tyrone were in the tackle this year.  A few minutes of desparation at the end of the Meath match, bouyed by some one-sided, defamatory commentating and cheap journalism has created a false perception of the team.  It will be a shame if referees are also influenced by this rubbish. 
                   Monaghan brought some ferocious but fair tackling to the Donegal game.  I would like to think that both teams can bring their most intense game to the table without fear of the game being slowed by a fussy ref.

In what seems to be the best championship in years, we're still moaning...  

Apart from the crap in Casement, this has been a good championship. We all want the best team to win, if it's our team, but there comes a point where the rules have to allow the team with the best footballing skills to come out on top, not the one that has even spread of yellows and no reds.

If Tyrone outplay us there'll be no quibble from the Monaghan camp, as after our 2010 Ulster Final encounter. You surely must understand where the wider gaelic football following are coming from when they criticise the antics of Tyrone pulling down Meath players in the last 10 minutes of that game. Yes the most successful do it, but not to that level.

What level?  The level that it was escalated to by Brolly and Canning?  Why aren't the wider gaelic football following berating Meath, who were much more cynical over the 70 minutes?  Because Brolly decided to have a bit of craic-fill a few columns with his sensationalist   bleatings and people are actually running with it.
It's an indictment on any county team working their nads off week in and week out to have their efforts tarnished by lazy reporting and journalism.   

It's not in any way unique to Tyrone, but it was exemplified by them in the Meath game. Meath were making a gutsy effort to win the game and they were hauled down repeatedly at the vital stage of the match, while the offenders held the hands up with the 'sorry about that ref' look.

It wasn't 'lazy, sensationalist bleatings', it was stating the obvious. Tactical fouling destroys the game as a spectacle and is far more damaging to player commitment than 'lazy reporting'. And of course if the Monaghan lads out foul the Tyronies tomorrow and win, I'll be happy, but that don't make it right.

I feel that a lot of these 'repeated' hauling down's are actually one-the Cavanagh one.  Near the end of the game two Meath players tried to haul down McCarron as he ran up the sideline to keep Tyrone from exiting the danger zone-not a word.  Brolly done more than state the obvious, he tried to tar the whole team with one brush failing to mention the main assets of Tyrone's play that won them the match.    The speed, link play, foot passing and accuracy for some of Tyrone's scores was breathtaking.  This was not an overly dirty or cynical game and Tyrone haven't shown this supposed cynicism in the championship until those desperate ten minutes of survival.

If Tyrone were fouling cynically throughout the game like some other teams do, then fair enough but they weren't.  One or two cynical tackles at the end of the game (which are commonplace at this level) have been given too much airtime in what was a very entertaining match and had very little effect on the game as a spectacle as it was almost over.  As for player commitment-you won't get many that would come through the challenges of this past four weeks like those lads have done. 

Schkite

Sure lads every win we have against a decent team is lucky, ye should know this by now. Here's hoping for Tyrone to play shite and another fluky win tomorrow.

cluaineois

You are talking nonsense Hardstation. What are you basing your opinion on ? Monaghan if they can bring the same level of intensity could they go all the way. It is a big ask for a small county but they have shown  that they are capable of beating anybody on the day. You just seem to be still a wee bit bitter.

babarino

There is a shallow breed of sports follower out there that jump on the big boys back time and time again. Man U in the Premiership, Brazil in the World Cup finals, Kerry/Kilkenny in the AI... they back them even if they don't have any close connection with them, and claim victory if 'their' team prevails. An underdog achieving something upsets them, and the put it down to a 'one off'

I suspect Hardstation is one such supporter.

Aaron Boone

Quote from: cluaineois on August 03, 2013, 12:26:47 AM
You are talking nonsense Hardstation. What are you basing your opinion on ? Monaghan if they can bring the same level of intensity could they go all the way. It is a big ask for a small county but they have shown  that they are capable of beating anybody on the day. You just seem to be still a wee bit bitter.

I'm a believer in league form, Div 3 teams don't massively get sexy the last15 years

Schkite

Quote from: hardstation on August 03, 2013, 12:32:00 AM
Quote from: Schkite on August 03, 2013, 12:26:17 AM
Sure lads every win we have against a decent team is lucky, ye should know this by now. Here's hoping for Tyrone to play shite and another fluky win tomorrow.
What do you expect? Yis have only done it once! Add in 2 shite performances against Antrim and Cavan. Monaghan still have a lot to do to prove themselves.

Ah I'm only messing. I'm not saying we should be one of the favourites for the All-Ireland or anything. All I've said is I'm confident we can beat Tyrone tomorrow, nothing more.

I do think you're a bit off the mark saying Tyrone are better "by a distance". Just my opinion though.

Schkite

Quote from: Aaron Boone on August 03, 2013, 12:35:07 AM
Quote from: cluaineois on August 03, 2013, 12:26:47 AM

I'm a believer in league form, Div 3 teams don't massively get sexy the last15 years

We're a Division 2 team, same as Donegal.  ;)

Maguire01

Quote from: hardstation on August 03, 2013, 12:32:00 AM
Quote from: Schkite on August 03, 2013, 12:26:17 AM
What do you expect? Yis have only done it once! Add in 2 shite performances against Antrim and Cavan. Monaghan still have a lot to do to prove themselves.
But we beat Antrim and Cavan - we did enough to win without being impressive. Pretty much the same as Tyrone has done with Roscommon, Kildare and Meath.

yellowcard

I think it will take a victory in Croke Park against one of the big sides to convince me that Monaghan are realistic contenders. Traditionally Monaghan have produced one off great performances in Ulster.

Although when the draw was made I felt Monaghan could do the business against Tyrone, as the game edges closer I'm not so sure. Tyrones far greater experience of being involved at the latter end of championships could be crucial. Either way we will know more at 7pm.

lenny

Quote from: yellowcard on August 03, 2013, 10:06:36 AM
I think it will take a victory in Croke Park against one of the big sides to convince me that Monaghan are realistic contenders. Traditionally Monaghan have produced one off great performances in Ulster.

Although when the draw was made I felt Monaghan could do the business against Tyrone, as the game edges closer I'm not so sure. Tyrones far greater experience of being involved at the latter end of championships could be crucial. Either way we will know more at 7pm.

Totally agree. Immediately after the Ulster final I thought Monaghan could go further than the Qfs but I just think Tyrone may have too much experience and they have the nous and cynicism to slow the game down when they need to. Tyrone by 2.