Tyrone v Monaghan Quarter Final

Started by tyronefan, July 27, 2013, 10:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: ONeill on August 02, 2013, 02:13:00 PM
Monaghan 1985 - one of my favourite memories from the 80s - http://youtu.be/xFIPOSKXEDs

That's some kick in fairness - reminds me of Conway's kick in the 1989 final to send game to a replay

tc_manchester

My favourite Tyrone - Monaghan memory of the 80s is Audie Hamilton shouldering Gene Sherry. Once in Clones and again in Croke Park - it's a pity there is no video evidence of either of them.

Fuzzman

Well may the best team win and I hope there's no aul messing or sendings off.
I trust we'll be in red and they'll be in blue or will ye try it on again with that one?

Hope Brolly isn't too shocked by the cynicism again.

Main Street

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 02, 2013, 12:03:31 PM
Quote from: Main Street on August 02, 2013, 11:21:21 AM
Quote from: charlie linkbox on August 02, 2013, 11:11:45 AM
God14, I see what you're at and you can quit your nonsense!

You're trying to re-create the lead-up to the 2010 Ulster Final where Monaghan were built up on the back of a couple of decent performances (albeit against very mediocre Armagh and Fermanagh teams in hindsight) and installed as favourites, Tyrone stayed quiet and out of the limelight, and then Tyrone proceeded to beat us out the gate in the final.
Monaghan were never installed as favourites for that game. Tyrone were stronger favourites for that game in 2010 than this one. The Tyrone underdog tag is about as real as the pain felt by a Tyrone player, clutching his face on the ground.

All the talk in 2010 was about Monaghan, they were favourites in most peoples eyes and it seems that this is the same feeling for the game tomorrow.  Tyrone shouldn't even bother turning up.
Sounds like typical paranoid Tyrone tosh, favourites are reflected if not defined by betting odds.
"All the talk"?? , how about  it was what you interpreted as being said?
Tyrone were virtually unbackable or the odds were not worth the risk.
I wouldn't confuse a neutral's  hope (tipping the plucky outsider)  with being favourites to win.

Maguire01

Quote from: Main Street on August 02, 2013, 07:06:43 PM

You're trying to re-create the lead-up to the 2010 Ulster Final where Monaghan were built up on the back of a couple of decent performances (albeit against very mediocre Armagh and Fermanagh teams in hindsight) and installed as favourites, Tyrone stayed quiet and out of the limelight, and then Tyrone proceeded to beat us out the gate in the final.
Monaghan were never installed as favourites for that game. Tyrone were stronger favourites for that game in 2010 than this one. The Tyrone underdog tag is about as real as the pain felt by a Tyrone player, clutching his face on the ground.

All the talk in 2010 was about Monaghan, they were favourites in most peoples eyes and it seems that this is the same feeling for the game tomorrow.  Tyrone shouldn't even bother turning up.
Sounds like typical paranoid Tyrone tosh, favourites are reflected if not defined by betting odds.
I wouldn't confuse a neutral's  hope (tipping the plucky outsider)  with being favourites to win.
Yep, you don't get 2/1 on a favourite in a 2-horse race.

babarino

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 02, 2013, 05:43:33 PM
I trust we'll be in red and they'll be in blue or will ye try it on again with that one?

Like yourself Fuzzman I hope there'll be no messin' or sendings off, but I won't hold my breath.

Wearing red, white, blue - as if that matters. That stuff was what passed for trying to get the upper hand under previous management.

The ref will need to put down a marker early on with the tactical fouling, an area where Tyrone are better than us. We've tended to react in the past, get men sent off, a la the Omagh game in the rain, where the Tyrone foul count far exceeded ours yet they finish the game with 15.

The cynicism again is to be expected. That's why they're introducing the black card.

God14

Black card won't make a blind bit of difference. If i was struggling with an injury I'd just rugby tackle some man cynically to get subbed. The extra sub is crucial. It'll just notch the craftiness up a level.

Maguire01

Quote from: God14 on August 02, 2013, 08:02:12 PM
Black card won't make a blind bit of difference. If i was struggling with an injury I'd just rugby tackle some man cynically to get subbed. The extra sub is crucial. It'll just notch the craftiness up a level.
It won't make a difference in the last 10-15 minutes - it will for the rest of the game.

Aaron Boone

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 02, 2013, 07:14:39 PM
Quote from: Main Street on August 02, 2013, 07:06:43 PM

Yep, you don't get 2/1 on a favourite in a 2-horse race.
[/quo
Monaghan will be similar odds for the semi, Mayo or Donegal regardless.

babarino

Quote from: hardstation on August 02, 2013, 09:42:02 PM
Looking forward to this game but really expecting a Tyrone win. They are a better team than Monaghan by a distance but shocks can happen. Donegal are a much better team than Monaghan but were well beaten by them in a one off.

Can see it being tight enough scores wise but Tyrone always comfortable.

Insightful pre-match analysis here. If Monaghan win, it's another shock one off. If Tyrone win, again you're right.  ::)

Whishtup

Quote from: babarino on August 02, 2013, 07:41:37 PM

Like yourself Fuzzman I hope there'll be no messin' or sendings off, but I won't hold my breath.

Wearing red, white, blue - as if that matters. That stuff was what passed for trying to get the upper hand under previous management.

The ref will need to put down a marker early on with the tactical fouling, an area where Tyrone are better than us. We've tended to react in the past, get men sent off, a la the Omagh game in the rain, where the Tyrone foul count far exceeded ours yet they finish the game with 15.

The cynicism again is to be expected. That's why they're introducing the black card.

The best teams tackle right on the edge-that takes a lot of practice.  Tyrone from what I can see have brought their tackling back to just within the limits-that's why all the pundits before the Meath match had been saying how professional and controlled Tyrone were in the tackle this year.  A few minutes of desparation at the end of the Meath match, bouyed by some one-sided, defamatory commentating and cheap journalism has created a false perception of the team.  It will be a shame if referees are also influenced by this rubbish. 
                   Monaghan brought some ferocious but fair tackling to the Donegal game.  I would like to think that both teams can bring their most intense game to the table without fear of the game being slowed by a fussy ref.

In what seems to be the best championship in years, we're still moaning...     

babarino

Quote from: Whishtup on August 02, 2013, 10:25:28 PM

The best teams tackle right on the edge-that takes a lot of practice.  Tyrone from what I can see have brought their tackling back to just within the limits-that's why all the pundits before the Meath match had been saying how professional and controlled Tyrone were in the tackle this year.  A few minutes of desparation at the end of the Meath match, bouyed by some one-sided, defamatory commentating and cheap journalism has created a false perception of the team.  It will be a shame if referees are also influenced by this rubbish. 
                   Monaghan brought some ferocious but fair tackling to the Donegal game.  I would like to think that both teams can bring their most intense game to the table without fear of the game being slowed by a fussy ref.

Apart from the crap in Casement, this has been a good championship. We all want the best team to win, if it's our team, but there comes a point where the rules have to allow the team with the best footballing skills to come out on top, not the one that has even spread of yellows and no reds.

If Tyrone outplay us there'll be no quibble from the Monaghan camp, as after our 2010 Ulster Final encounter. You surely must understand where the wider gaelic football following are coming from when they criticise the antics of Tyrone pulling down Meath players in the last 10 minutes of that game. Yes the most successful do it, but not to that level.

ONeill

Cmon Tyrone yer on yer own.

Off to never never land for a week and when I come back we should be preparing for a Mayo semi. If not up the Oriel.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Whishtup

Quote from: babarino on August 02, 2013, 10:43:30 PM
Quote from: Whishtup on August 02, 2013, 10:25:28 PM

Apart from the crap in Casement, this has been a good championship. We all want the best team to win, if it's our team, but there comes a point where the rules have to allow the team with the best footballing skills to come out on top, not the one that has even spread of yellows and no reds.

If Tyrone outplay us there'll be no quibble from the Monaghan camp, as after our 2010 Ulster Final encounter. You surely must understand where the wider gaelic football following are coming from when they criticise the antics of Tyrone pulling down Meath players in the last 10 minutes of that game. Yes the most successful do it, but not to that level.

What level?  The level that it was escalated to by Brolly and Canning?  Why aren't the wider gaelic football following berating Meath, who were much more cynical over the 70 minutes?  Because Brolly decided to have a bit of craic-fill a few columns with his sensationalist   bleatings and people are actually running with it.
It's an indictment on any county team working their nads off week in and week out to have their efforts tarnished by lazy reporting and journalism.     

babarino

Quote from: hardstation on August 02, 2013, 10:50:24 PM
Quote from: babarino on August 02, 2013, 10:23:56 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 02, 2013, 09:42:02 PM
Looking forward to this game but really expecting a Tyrone win. They are a better team than Monaghan by a distance but shocks can happen. Donegal are a much better team than Monaghan but were well beaten by them in a one off.

Can see it being tight enough scores wise but Tyrone always comfortable.

Insightful pre-match analysis here. If Monaghan win, it's another shock one off. If Tyrone win, again you're right.  ::)

What so Monaghan are now a better team than the current AI champions despite being Gladys Knight for a long time before that one game? FFS Donegal would bate them handy 99 out of 100 times. Tyrone would too. I know yis are on a high but a small dose of reality wouldn't go a miss.

You're only as good as your last game, as the saying goes, so on that basis we're better than Donegal. I don't understand the Gladys Knight analogy, but she certainly sounds better than Big Tom. "99 out of 100" - we had beaten Donegal far more often than not in recent history before the final, against the same players that took that AI.

Yes we're on a bit of a high after taking the Ulster title in the way we did, but there aren't any seasoned Monaghan supporters going to Dublin tomorrow in any way cocky about the outcome. We haven't got anything like the resources, nor late championship experience, that Tyrone draw from, but those of us that have been following Monaghan through thick and thin see a squad that is capable of big things. And if we're good enough to make it to the next stage, we'll fancy our chances against Mayo or Donegal. But that's for another day...