Tyrone v Monaghan Quarter Final

Started by tyronefan, July 27, 2013, 10:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC Unique

Quote from: Aaron Boone on August 01, 2013, 09:48:27 PM
Some of those subs never get a run out.

I would expect McAlisky to get a run this week.

Quote from: sam03/05 on August 01, 2013, 10:00:53 PM
Is Ronan O'Neill injured again? And what about McNabb?
McNabb was on bench last week, would be a big player if fit.
Remember he already has a good bit of championship experience as he played last year.
People still not caught on the aphabetical order 26 thing!

Aaron Boone

Monaghan 2/1 with PP.

I work with guys hyper on Galway Races this week and this bet is their
get-out, saviour etc

boojangles

Beantown

Fairly predictable team

I agree EC.... ALPHABETICAL ORDER!! It's not that hard to understand

God14

Quote from: Aaron Boone on August 01, 2013, 10:46:14 PM
Monaghan 2/1 with PP.

I work with guys hyper on Galway Races this week and this bet is their
get-out, saviour etc

That is a great bet without doubt. Monaghan are definitely over priced.
Recent history suggests a Tyrone victory. In fact if you told me over the spring we'd play Monaghan in the 1/4s, id have been fairly certain of a Tyrone victory.
However when you look at performances to date, and invisage how this game is going to play out tactically, I think the odds are actually stacked in Monaghans favour. They have had the perfect preparation for this game in beating Donegal at an intensity not seen anywhere else in the country in 2013. The pace & intensity was certainly a clear step above what Tyrone have played at to date. Add in the fact that Tyrone have never beaten a side in Championship match who are so entrenched defensively.

Wylie Walsh & Corey will be confident of nullifying the threat of SON & McCurry. No doubt there will be a plan to stop Sean Cavanagh, so its hard to see where the scores will come from, from a Tyrone perspective. At the other end of the field Monaghan are now very efficient from frees, 45s etc. They have plenty of scoring threats with the Hughes bros, Finlay, McManus & co. The manor of the goals Tyrone conceded last weekend will give them added encouragement.
Plus for the first time in recent memory, they have quality and options on the bench, i.e Tommy Freeman, Dick Clerkin et al.

Tyrone are well up against it.
Monaghan by 5.

charlie linkbox

God14, I see what you're at and you can quit your nonsense!

You're trying to re-create the lead-up to the 2010 Ulster Final where Monaghan were built up on the back of a couple of decent performances (albeit against very mediocre Armagh and Fermanagh teams in hindsight) and installed as favourites, Tyrone stayed quiet and out of the limelight, and then Tyrone proceeded to beat us out the gate in the final.

Well once bitten twice shy my friend.

Monaghan has a chance. We are in a different position than in recent years in that we finally have some silverware of note in the cupboard, and this may help dispel any perceived inferiority complex we may have had in the past when playing Tyrone.

However, to look past Tyrone is ridiculous. Tyrone has consistently operated at a higher level than us in my lifetime. And while they may not have hit the heights so far this year they are still there and now that we are at the business end of the championship we could see Tyrone flourish. Croke Park is their stage, their second home. The latter stage of the championship is their minimum expectation. They will waltz into Croke Park with a swagger and an assured confidence that they have been here and done it before. Plus they have always beaten Monaghan and consider it a right. All these little psychological things add up.

Contrast this with Monaghan where the combination of an Ulster final celebration comedown, a feeling that the hunger has been satisfied with an Ulster final win, the novelty of Croke Park, the achievement of reaching a second ever quarter final, and our "Tyrone-factor" inferiority complex means that a re-production of our Ulster Final performance is unlikely; and it will take a performance like that and more to get over Tyrone.

No God14, you can play the underdog card all you like but you know and I know that you think Tyrone will walk all over us again. You don't fool me.

Tyrone to win pulling up.  ;)  ;D

Main Street

Quote from: charlie linkbox on August 02, 2013, 11:11:45 AM

You're trying to re-create the lead-up to the 2010 Ulster Final where Monaghan were built up on the back of a couple of decent performances (albeit against very mediocre Armagh and Fermanagh teams in hindsight) and installed as favourites, Tyrone stayed quiet and out of the limelight, and then Tyrone proceeded to beat us out the gate in the final.
Monaghan were never installed as favourites for that game. Tyrone were stronger favourites for that game in 2010 than this one. The Tyrone underdog tag is about as real as the pain felt by a Tyrone player, clutching his face on the ground.

phpearse

Are there any pundits going for Tyrone in this game? Every preview I have ready has Monaghan as favourites.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: phpearse on August 02, 2013, 11:24:43 AM
Are there any pundits going for Tyrone in this game? Every preview I have ready has Monaghan as favourites.

mcconville & david brady both tipped tyrone.

should be a great days football at HQ tommorrow
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

nrico2006

Quote from: Main Street on August 02, 2013, 11:21:21 AM
Quote from: charlie linkbox on August 02, 2013, 11:11:45 AM

Monaghan were never installed as favourites for that game. Tyrone were stronger favourites for that game in 2010 than this one. The Tyrone underdog tag is about as real as the pain felt by a Tyrone player, clutching his face on the ground.

All the talk in 2010 was about Monaghan, they were favourites in most peoples eyes and it seems that this is the same feeling for the game tomorrow.  Tyrone shouldn't even bother turning up.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

omagh_gael

We've debated the potential of our new crop for a long time. Tomorrow will give us a better answer than any 100 page thread on the GAABOARD. We know we have guys that can score spectacular points, we know we have guys that can work well within our defensive system...but...do we have a team that has the balls for a battle? That is what we will face tomorrow. We will be hit hard, fast and frequent as soon as the ball is thrown in.

The first quarter is key. If we can finish it 2-3 points up we will completely change the dynamic from Monaghan's perspective. Everything in the Donegal game went their way and if we can get them chasing us we will force them to come out and attack us, giving SoN and co more space inside.

Hoping for huge games from the two Donnellys and P Harte. We need them going at full tilt, not only breaking tackles but giving quality foot passes into SoN. Petey put in a beauty of a pass straight into Stevey's chest, one swivel and it was over the bar. Extremely hard to defend against and something we appear very reluctant to do.

Our forwards will be black and blue for the next week, I want to see McManus et al with red hands being surgically extracted in Drogheda hospital on Sunday morning. Our defense have been too stand offish, more aggression needed.

One win and we are back in the big time. You can stick your Drumlins up yer hole. Come on Tyrone! ;)

Jinxy

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 02, 2013, 12:11:57 PM
We've debated the potential of our new crop for a long time. Tomorrow will give us a better answer than any 100 page thread on the GAABOARD. We know we have guys that can score spectacular points, we know we have guys that can work well within our defensive system...but...do we have a team that has the balls for a battle? That is what we will face tomorrow. We will be hit hard, fast and frequent as soon as the ball is thrown in.

The first quarter is key. If we can finish it 2-3 points up we will completely change the dynamic from Monaghan's perspective. Everything in the Donegal game went their way and if we can get them chasing us we will force them to come out and attack us, giving SoN and co more space inside.

Hoping for huge games from the two Donnellys and P Harte. We need them going at full tilt, not only breaking tackles but giving quality foot passes into SoN. Petey put in a beauty of a pass straight into Stevey's chest, one swivel and it was over the bar. Extremely hard to defend against and something we appear very reluctant to do.

Our forwards will be black and blue for the next week, I want to see McManus et al with red hands being surgically extracted in Drogheda hospital on Sunday morning. Our defense have been too stand offish, more aggression needed.

One win and we are back in the big time. You can stick your Drumlins up yer hole. Come on Tyrone! ;)

Now there's a lovely image.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Fuzzman

I see it was 2007 when Monaghan were last in the quarterfinals where the only lost to Kerry by a point. They'll obviously be hoping to go one better this time and won't fear Donegal should they win.

Have they ever made it to an AI final?

Definitely winning Ulster gives ye that wee pep in your step and the belief that no doubt there is a confidence around the Monaghan setup. Of course that can be lost very quickly in the heat of a championship game but I am not sure Tyrone can turn that on like they did back in 2008 v the Dubs.

I'd like to see young McCurry kick on again and start taking on his man as he's got pace to burn. Too often he turns back to look for support rather than having a pop himself. Saying that he does look lively and up for it and would like to see him feeding off Stevie much more, like running onto a Stevie pass just in front of him more like Meath did last week a lot.

By the way, was Darren Hughes in goals the last time we met Monaghan?

shawshank

Quote from: Rodman on August 01, 2013, 09:06:36 PM

Tyrone SF Team v Monaghan AI Quarter Final

1 Pascal McConnell An Baile Nua
2 Dermot Carlin Coill an Chlochair
3 Conor Clarke An Omaigh
4 Cathal McCarron An Droim Mór
5 Ciaran McGinley Aireagal Chiaráin
6 Peter Harte Aireagal Chiaráin
7 Conor Gormley An Charraig Mhór
8 Colm Cavanagh An Mhaigh
9 Sean Cavanagh An Mhaigh
10 Matthew Donnelly Trí Leac
11 Mark Donnelly An Charraig Mhór
12 Joe McMahon An Omaigh
13 Darren McCurry Éadan na dTorc
14 Stephen O'Neill Clann na nGael
15 Martin Penrose An Charraig Mhór

16 Michael O'Neill Cluain Eo
17 Aidan Cassidy Eochar
18 Kyle Coney Ard Bó
19 Kevin Gallagher An Baile Nua
20 Conan Grugan An Omaigh
21 Plunkett Kane Oileán a'Ghuail
22 Johnathan Lafferty Urnaí
23 Connor McAliskey Cluain Eo
24 Danny McBride An Srath Ban
25 Tiarnan McCann Coill an Chlochair
26 Aidan McCrory Aireagal Chiaráin

Can any of you Tyrone posters tell me whats new about this team, all year we have been fed a line that Harte was going for a new team based on the failure of Tyrone the past three years, explaining the new influx of players in the Mc kenna Cup and national League. The only player that I would regard as new is Mc Curry, the rest were all involved in the beating you took in Kerry last year. Curious for your perspective

Fuzzman

Nope you're wrong Shawshank
McCurry played v Kerry last year as SoN was injured