Tyrone v Monaghan Quarter Final

Started by tyronefan, July 27, 2013, 10:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Will Darren Queues pick up Cavanagh?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Redhand Santa

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=197921

The Monaghan boys are confident anyway! Bit early to be talking about All Ireland songs!

Fuzzman

Yes the Monaghan fans and players seem quite confident and why wouldn't they be having defeated the AI champs by quite a few scores. They showed the last day they can be disciplined and play to a defensive system.
I think its crucial we don't let them get off to a good start nor do we go asleep during the start of the second half like we have been doing.

I wonder what curved ball Mickey will throw tonight? Bring young McAliskey back in.

EC Unique

Quote from: Redhand Santa on August 01, 2013, 02:43:42 PM
http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=197921

The Monaghan boys are confident anyway! Bit early to be talking about All Ireland songs!

Great to read stuff like that! If Monaghan do beat us on Sat I will fully support them!

Main Street

A Big Tom celebration song is on its way on Sunday morning,
'This Time We Hurt Them More Than They Ever Hurt Us'.

Fuzzman

Careful there Main Street
Jim or Rory will say that was pre-mediated.

emmetryan

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 01, 2013, 10:23:09 AM
So Emmet tips Tyrone but only just.
How many have ye got wrong this year Emmet?
What county are ye from anyway?

I agree with ya that it could be a low scoring game and if Monaghan foul Stevie as much as other teams have then that could be the winning or losing of this game.
The days of scoring loads from open play have gone I fear.

I'd say there will be a huge different in styles from the 1st game to the second game and no doubt TSG & others will be enjoying highlighting this.

Two so far in championship one more than last year. I'm from Dublin and was told repeatedly that I was mad to pick Mayo over them last summer.
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Main Street on August 01, 2013, 01:37:18 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 01, 2013, 01:25:01 PM
Mark Donnelly, Peter Harte & Marty Penrose, in particular, are going to have absolute stormers on Saturday, back in that groove like greased lightning. Guaranteed!  :D
;D
I'll have a pint of the same, FoSB.

Sure, knock yourself out...

;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Count 10

Looking forward to the game, think it will be tight and Monaghan to win by 2 8)

Whishtup

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 01, 2013, 01:22:16 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on August 01, 2013, 01:15:22 PM
Quote from: popinpopout on July 31, 2013, 06:19:47 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on July 31, 2013, 05:41:42 PM
I read that article earlier today and felt that Monaghan were a durty shower of so and so's and that he never liked playing them as they always had nothing to lose and could take you out of it very handy. He was probably glad to see Donegal getting some of their own medicine.

Playing in Croke park is more than likely play some part in Monaghan's mindset. By the sounds of it there is gonna be a very large crowd although a lot of the Dubs won't be in til late as usual.
I would expect they won't play as well as they did in the Ulster final but the question is will they even have to?
You would imagine Sean Cav won't get as much space this time and could even be man marked the whole game.

Agreed.....someone else will have to step up to the plate. I would love to see Mark Donnelly drive forward more and get the scores he was getting during the national league. Is he playing a different role or is it just a matter of being watched more tightly? He certainly isn't the scoring threat he was.

I said a few weeks ago that Donnelly has never really counted in Championship.  Different doing it in the league which he undoubtedly did, but over the past few years he has never really had a big performance in the championship.

I'd never been a big fan of Mark Donnelly but his game had definitely improved this year. My main concern is similar to yours, nrico, when it comes to the crunch in the championship his running game gets swallowed up by the better teams. He needs to be able to vary his game a bit to be top notch and I think he has the ability to do this.

In all fairness, he did stand up against Kildare when the game was slipping away from Tyrone...

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Whishtup on August 01, 2013, 08:07:14 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 01, 2013, 01:22:16 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on August 01, 2013, 01:15:22 PM
Quote from: popinpopout on July 31, 2013, 06:19:47 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on July 31, 2013, 05:41:42 PM
I read that article earlier today and felt that Monaghan were a durty shower of so and so's and that he never liked playing them as they always had nothing to lose and could take you out of it very handy. He was probably glad to see Donegal getting some of their own medicine.

Playing in Croke park is more than likely play some part in Monaghan's mindset. By the sounds of it there is gonna be a very large crowd although a lot of the Dubs won't be in til late as usual.
I would expect they won't play as well as they did in the Ulster final but the question is will they even have to?
You would imagine Sean Cav won't get as much space this time and could even be man marked the whole game.

Agreed.....someone else will have to step up to the plate. I would love to see Mark Donnelly drive forward more and get the scores he was getting during the national league. Is he playing a different role or is it just a matter of being watched more tightly? He certainly isn't the scoring threat he was.

I said a few weeks ago that Donnelly has never really counted in Championship.  Different doing it in the league which he undoubtedly did, but over the past few years he has never really had a big performance in the

I'd never been a big fan of Mark Donnelly but his game had definitely improved this year. My main concern is similar to yours, nrico, when it comes to the crunch in the championship his running game gets swallowed up by the better teams. He needs to be able to vary his game a bit to be top notch and I think he has the ability to do this.

In all fairness, he did stand up against Kildare when the game was slipping away from Tyrone...

I said at ht in the Kildare game that he had yet to do it for Tyrone in the cship. But would agree he really stood up in the second half. Need a big game from him this Saturday.

Rodman

Tyrone SF Team v Monaghan AI Quarter Final

1 Pascal McConnell An Baile Nua
2 Dermot Carlin Coill an Chlochair
3 Conor Clarke An Omaigh
4 Cathal McCarron An Droim Mór
5 Ciaran McGinley Aireagal Chiaráin
6 Peter Harte Aireagal Chiaráin
7 Conor Gormley An Charraig Mhór
8 Colm Cavanagh An Mhaigh
9 Sean Cavanagh An Mhaigh
10 Matthew Donnelly Trí Leac
11 Mark Donnelly An Charraig Mhór
12 Joe McMahon An Omaigh
13 Darren McCurry Éadan na dTorc
14 Stephen O'Neill Clann na nGael
15 Martin Penrose An Charraig Mhór

16 Michael O'Neill Cluain Eo
17 Aidan Cassidy Eochar
18 Kyle Coney Ard Bó
19 Kevin Gallagher An Baile Nua
20 Conan Grugan An Omaigh
21 Plunkett Kane Oileán a'Ghuail
22 Johnathan Lafferty Urnaí
23 Connor McAliskey Cluain Eo
24 Danny McBride An Srath Ban
25 Tiarnan McCann Coill an Chlochair
26 Aidan McCrory Aireagal Chiaráin

Aaron Boone

Some of those subs never get a run out.

Whishtup

Much as expected.  We certainly don't have a rotating squad like some other counties.  Some of these older boys are bound to get knackered towards the end of the game on Sat.  One last push and they'll get a break. 

sam03/05

Is Ronan O'Neill injured again? And what about McNabb?
McNabb was on bench last week, would be a big player if fit.
Remember he already has a good bit of championship experience as he played last year.