Tyrone v Monaghan Quarter Final

Started by tyronefan, July 27, 2013, 10:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: armaghniac on July 30, 2013, 11:44:43 PM
When I was at school, our classes were named after ancient places. Breffni was always superior to Oriel.

That must have been the 40's or 50's right?  ;)

armaghniac

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on July 31, 2013, 12:16:47 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 30, 2013, 11:44:43 PM
When I was at school, our classes were named after ancient places. Breffni was always superior to Oriel.

That must have been the 40's or 50's right?  ;)

Jebus, 1950s, you must think I am as old as Orior!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

God14

Justy McMahon back in training & available for selection for Saturday, according to the Irish Examiner. Good news for Tyrone fans that. I wouldn't start him myself, but he's a nice option to have to bring on after approx 50mins.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: God14 on July 31, 2013, 11:10:15 AM
Justy McMahon back in training & available for selection for Saturday, according to the Irish Examiner. Good news for Tyrone fans that. I wouldn't start him myself, but he's a nice option to have to bring on after approx 50mins.

Justy is an excellent defender alright, one of the best. Hopefully we'll be well out of sight by that stage..  ;)

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

nrico2006

We'll be well beat by the time Justy comes on.  When was the last time he was seemingly fully fit for Tyrone - would it have been the Cork game in 2009?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

TF15

Think Tyrone will make one change with Carlin coming in for McKenna if he has the 70 in the legs. If not it'll be the same as last week. Clarke and McCarron to pick up K Hughes and McManus?

Main Street

Good article (he backs Monaghan) from Darragh Ó Sé in the IT as he reminisces with 'affection' about his experiences playing against Monaghan.
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/monaghan-s-physicality-isn-t-about-playing-dirty-it-s-just-in-their-football-dna-1.1479776?page=1
Darragh correctly points out that we had not much ability on the subs bench in those days.
Then we were too nice under Eamon McEneaney, no wonder players lost their way, having strayed from their football dharma. O'Rourke has also added a bit of tactical nous which the players can understand, something that use to get lost in translation in the past.

ONeill

Let's hope the ref clamps down on the typical Monaghan cynicism as shown in the last few mins of this clip from '88 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTQQa1djtF8

Hope history doesn't repeat itself with a keeper fumble and Hughes netting it.

Also, has any man donned a better moustache as the Prince wore in that clip, anywhere in the world.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Main Street on July 31, 2013, 12:31:41 PM
Good article (he backs Monaghan) from Darragh Ó Sé in the IT as he reminisces with 'affection' about his experiences playing against Monaghan.
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/monaghan-s-physicality-isn-t-about-playing-dirty-it-s-just-in-their-football-dna-1.1479776?page=1
Darragh correctly points out that we had not much ability on the subs bench in those days.
Then we were too nice under Eamon McEneaney, no wonder players lost their way, having strayed from their football dharma. O'Rourke has also added a bit of tactical nous which the players can understand, something that use to get lost in translation in the past.

Good article is right. Darragh O'Shea wouldn't be that well thought of in Monaghan I'd say. I remember the 2007 QF game, Paul Meegan from Innishkeen had just come on, O'Shea immediately busted him and that was it for Meegan. So, he didn't really help our 'bench' situation but that's football..

Fair play to him though, he nailed a few vald points there, specifically tactical nous. To me the lack of tactical nous on the slideline in 07/08 was our biggest handicap..

Main Street

Was it Meegan whose face connected with Darragh's boot?
There's no way that was intentional, just reckless and most importantly, not penalised by the ref.

omagh_gael

Quote from: ONeill on July 31, 2013, 12:57:15 PM
Let's hope the ref clamps down on the typical Monaghan cynicism as shown in the last few mins of this clip from '88 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTQQa1djtF8

Hope history doesn't repeat itself with a keeper fumble and Hughes netting it.

Also, has any man donned a better moustache as the Prince wore in that clip, anywhere in the world.

The boul Noel McGinn was lamenting that penalty decision on the radio during the minor Ulster final. He is still sore the poor craytor.

TBF it was a ridiculous call by the referee

God14

Quote from: Main Street on July 31, 2013, 12:31:41 PM

The Irish Times isn't a paper I buy, but anytime I stumble across Darragh's column its always an enjoyable read. Hope he's wrong with the prediction though!

ONeill

What is it about 2013 and mind games?

I see Malachy O'Rourke is at it too. He quoted Mark Donnelly who before the Ulster final happened to say that the Munster final would be the only competitive final. Then he claims that Tyrone people "would feel that they're a step above Monaghan". Then he maintains he wasn't aware of how long it has been since Cranney cheated Tyrone out of an Ulster title.

Hopefully Mickey hits back on Friday about Clones being a home pitch for them hoors.

omagh_gael

Quote from: ONeill on July 31, 2013, 02:59:19 PM
Then he claims that Tyrone people "would feel that they're a step above Monaghan.

He'd be right enough there.