Tyrone v Monaghan Quarter Final

Started by tyronefan, July 27, 2013, 10:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: StephenC on July 30, 2013, 08:47:55 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on July 30, 2013, 08:21:04 AM
Quote from: Fuzzman on July 29, 2013, 04:44:18 PM
I heard he's badly hurt his calf and will be out for the foreseeable future.

Did anyone else think Joe was quiet on Sat?
A lot more people are taking notice of Mattie Donnelly now I see.
Be interesting to see who Monaghan mark him.

Mattie Donnelly is our top scorer in the championship too this year, doing well.  What is the latest on Ronan O'Neill?  We really need some top quality attacking threat in the full forward line if we are to go anywhere.  Monaghan people are overfilling with confidence after one good performance, 2010 all over again.

Bit harsh no? I reckon Monaghan folks are (rightly) annoyed at the way they have been completely dismissed for this game. Perhaps even more so than they were before the Ulster final? While Tyrone are rightly favourites, it wouldn't require the miracle that some people are on about for them to make it a really close contest. I'd love to see Monaghan win and then overpower Mayo to get to the final. It's unlikely but possible.

Dunno what you have been listening to but both pundits on the Sunday Game and then Today fm yesterday evening went for Monaghan and on form you would also have to edge towards Monaghan so to say they are being dismissed a la before Donegal, well I just don't see it.

However the other side of the argument is that Tyrone were edged out in the division 1 league final by the Dubs whilst Monaghan plied there trde in division 3. That added to the fact that Monaghan have traditionally shrivelled at the sight of a Tyrone jersey n the past and it's a finely balanced affair. I doubt if we will see a team display the same levels of intensity as Monaghan displayed in the Ulster final for the rest of this years championship but whether or not they have the necessary quality up front to back this performance up and go on to compete for the AI is something we will know an awful lot more about after Saturday.

StephenC

Quote from: yellowcard on July 30, 2013, 10:25:10 AM
Quote from: StephenC on July 30, 2013, 08:47:55 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on July 30, 2013, 08:21:04 AM
Quote from: Fuzzman on July 29, 2013, 04:44:18 PM
I heard he's badly hurt his calf and will be out for the foreseeable future.

Did anyone else think Joe was quiet on Sat?
A lot more people are taking notice of Mattie Donnelly now I see.
Be interesting to see who Monaghan mark him.

Mattie Donnelly is our top scorer in the championship too this year, doing well.  What is the latest on Ronan O'Neill?  We really need some top quality attacking threat in the full forward line if we are to go anywhere.  Monaghan people are overfilling with confidence after one good performance, 2010 all over again.

Bit harsh no? I reckon Monaghan folks are (rightly) annoyed at the way they have been completely dismissed for this game. Perhaps even more so than they were before the Ulster final? While Tyrone are rightly favourites, it wouldn't require the miracle that some people are on about for them to make it a really close contest. I'd love to see Monaghan win and then overpower Mayo to get to the final. It's unlikely but possible.

Dunno what you have been listening to but both pundits on the Sunday Game and then Today fm yesterday evening went for Monaghan and on form you would also have to edge towards Monaghan so to say they are being dismissed a la before Donegal, well I just don't see it.

However the other side of the argument is that Tyrone were edged out in the division 1 league final by the Dubs whilst Monaghan plied there trde in division 3. That added to the fact that Monaghan have traditionally shrivelled at the sight of a Tyrone jersey n the past and it's a finely balanced affair. I doubt if we will see a team display the same levels of intensity as Monaghan displayed in the Ulster final for the rest of this years championship but whether or not they have the necessary quality up front to back this performance up and go on to compete for the AI is something we will know an awful lot more about after Saturday.

Well the attitude on here has been somewhat dismissive of Monaghan. Some of it in jest I'm sure but to describe Monaghan as overfilling with confidence after one good performance is harsh.
Tyrone should beat Monaghan but it's not a London-Cavan style certainty,

Maguire01

Quote from: yellowcard on July 30, 2013, 10:25:10 AM
However the other side of the argument is that Tyrone were edged out in the division 1 league final by the Dubs whilst Monaghan plied there trde in division 3.
So did Meath. And we beat them twice this year, by 12 points on the first occasion, and by 5 on the second. If Meath can give Tyrone a game of it, no reason we can't.

armaghniac

Monaghan have been inconsistent over the years, their max performance will be a challenge for Tyrone, but will they reach it?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Are the Monaghan players able to concentrate on the game at all with all the songs being written about them and all the other hype - get your Farney Army car stickers at....... etc.
Of course they can beat an average Tyrone team and probably would if they hadn't all this Ulster Title hype.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ONeill

How many of the players are actually from Farney country?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: armaghniac on July 30, 2013, 06:27:02 PM
Monaghan have been inconsistent over the years, their max performance will be a challenge for Tyrone, but will they reach it?
Consistent in Clones and inconsistent outside of Clones?

Maguire01

Monaghan have been inconsistent over the years
But we've been consistently inconsistent.  8)

Main Street

90% of teams are inconsistent.
Tyrone have the capacity (somewhere) to raise their game from what we saw against Kildare and Meath, but will they reach it?

On a middling day for us, we can give them at least as good a game as what Kildare and Meath offered. Our fitness levels are impressive, experienced squad, no injuries, we are scoring 45's for a change, we have a damn good outside chance of beating them.

babarino

Quote from: ONeill on July 30, 2013, 06:58:35 PM

2, maybe 3. Surprising we don't have any players from Iniskeen, normally do. There was a lad from Killanny, Dooley, on the panel. Not sure if Carrickmacross is in Farney. If yes add another 2.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: babarino on July 30, 2013, 08:22:18 PM

2, maybe 3. Surprising we don't have any players from Iniskeen, normally do. There was a lad from Killanny, Dooley, on the panel. Not sure if Carrickmacross is in Farney. If yes add another 2.

My understanding is that Carrick is in the barony of Farney: http://www.logainm.ie/eolas/Data/Brainse/monaghan_1793_farney.jpg

To me the barony of Farney contains the following GAA clubs; Inniskeen, Magheracloone, Corduff, Carrickmacross, Donaghmoyne and Killanny.

If the above is correct then the following players hail from the barony of Farney:

Gavin Doogan - Magheracloone
Tomás Freeman - Magheracloone
Padraig Donaghy - Donaghamoyne
Peter O'Hanlon - Carrickmacross
Stephen Gollogly - Carrickmacross
Padraic Keenan - Corduff

Of course the 'Oriel County' is a much more accurate name for the whole of Monaghan, but you'd have trouble writing songs about the 'Oriel County' and the 'Oriel Army' doesn't have the same punch to it: http://www.irishidentity.com/extras/island/stories/farney.htm

babarino

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on July 30, 2013, 09:28:30 PM
Quote from: babarino on July 30, 2013, 08:22:18 PM

My understanding is that Carrick is in the barony of Farney: http://www.logainm.ie/eolas/Data/Brainse/monaghan_1793_farney.jpg

To me the barony of Farney contains the following GAA clubs; Inniskeen, Magheracloone, Corduff, Carrickmacross, Donaghmoyne and Killanny.

If the above is correct then the following players hail from the barony of Farney:

Gavin Doogan - Magheracloone
Tomás Freeman - Magheracloone
Padraig Donaghy - Donaghamoyne
Peter O'Hanlon - Carrickmacross
Stephen Gollogly - Carrickmacross
Padraic Keenan - Corduff

Of course the 'Oriel County' is a much more accurate name for the whole of Monaghan, but you'd have trouble writing songs about the 'Oriel County' and the 'Oriel Army' doesn't have the same punch to it: http://www.irishidentity.com/extras/island/stories/farney.htm

Well put together response there GMF. I heard once that this misnomer dates from a time when the bulk of the players on the Monaghan team came from the barony of Farney and has since been perpetuated by the national press.

SuperHo

oriel army? Did elvis costello not sing that?

armaghniac

When I was at school, our classes were named after ancient places. Breffni was always superior to Oriel.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

FarneyMan

Quote from: armaghniac on July 30, 2013, 11:44:43 PM
When I was at school, our classes were named after ancient places. Breffni was always superior to Oriel.

Not this year.... :)