Tyrone v Monaghan Quarter Final

Started by tyronefan, July 27, 2013, 10:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

They broke my young heart that day. I never forget you, Michael Cranney.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Just watched the first half there again.

Mark Donnelly touched the ball 4 times in the first half hour. On two occasions he offloaded it quickly. On one occasion it was knocked out of his hands. The other time he foot passed it to a Meath man.

I'm a massive fan of Donnelly. Was there something up we don't know about and that's why he was withdrawn - apart from the yellow that is?

babarino

Quote from: Redhand Santa on July 29, 2013, 10:22:50 PM
Bit sceptical about the appointment of a Meath referee following the media coverage of SAturdays game. The rte bias in relation to the game was unreal. Deegan gave soft frees throughout the game and there was cynical fouls by both teams but they were only interested in the soft frees given to Tyrone and their fouls...

Here we go again with the Tyronies, doing what they do best. The ball hasn't be thrown in and they're yakkin' at the ref, RTE, the last ref...They're all agin' us!

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: ONeill on July 30, 2013, 12:00:56 AM

Mark Donnelly touched the ball 4 times in the first half hour. On two occasions he offloaded it quickly. On one occasion it was knocked out of his hands. The other time he foot passed it to a Meath man.

I'm a massive fan of Donnelly. Was there something up we don't know about and that's why he was withdrawn - apart from the yellow that is?
During the game itself, maybe after his first or second possession he seemed to hurt his arm or hand.  Remember him coming out from the tackle holding his arm then he receives a pass which he offloads pretty quickly.  He did seem to have one of his quieter games but was no where near the worst on show.
Colm Cavanagh could have been called ashore after twenty minutes Sunday.  Peter Harte was guilty of giving away numerous balls and young Mc Kenna was having a rough time.  Cavanagh did eventually work his way into the game and caught a few important balls near the end.  Do you think Harte left him on so that he wouldn't disturb Sean who was having a superb game?

EC Unique

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on July 30, 2013, 12:12:47 AM

During the game itself, maybe after his first or second possession he seemed to hurt his arm or hand.  Remember him coming out from the tackle holding his arm then he receives a pass which he offloads pretty quickly.  He did seem to have one of his quieter games but was no where near the worst on show.
Colm Cavanagh could have been called ashore after twenty minutes Sunday.  Peter Harte was guilty of giving away numerous balls and young Mc Kenna was having a rough time.  Cavanagh did eventually work his way into the game and caught a few important balls near the end.  Do you think Harte left him on so that he wouldn't disturb Sean who was having a superb game?

You think Pete Harte had a worse game than Mark Donnelly?

ONeill

Harte had an 80% game. He was heavily involved alongside Mattie in moving the ball forward from turnovers or breaking ball.

Colm turned it around. Yes, could easily have been withdrawn before that but it worked out ok.

Yes, I saw Mark working at his finger or wrist after about 2 mins. That's the only reason I can explain how quiet he was.

Another thing I noticed was how shy Penrose has become when it comes to scoring. A few times it was a knock over from not too far out but he chose to offload.

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: EC Unique on July 30, 2013, 12:18:40 AM

He ended up having a decent game. Nothing special but decent, which seems to be a recurring theme with him.  He seems to have lost a lot of confidence.  He's a better player than what we have seen this year so far.  I was actually one of the people hoping he would get a chance at half back, still hope he can come good.  Saturday would be a nice time.

tyssam5

Quote from: EC Unique on July 30, 2013, 12:18:40 AM

Harte made a couple of really obvious mistakes (bad passes), Donnelly was anonymous throughout though, not like him.

time ticking away

I think Peter Harte is potentially a really good footballer but recently has been really poor. If you are honest, on form, does he deserve
to start against Monaghan?
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

nrico2006

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 29, 2013, 04:44:18 PM
I heard he's badly hurt his calf and will be out for the foreseeable future.

Did anyone else think Joe was quiet on Sat?
A lot more people are taking notice of Mattie Donnelly now I see.
Be interesting to see who Monaghan mark him.

Mattie Donnelly is our top scorer in the championship too this year, doing well.  What is the latest on Ronan O'Neill?  We really need some top quality attacking threat in the full forward line if we are to go anywhere.  Monaghan people are overfilling with confidence after one good performance, 2010 all over again.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

EC Unique

Anyone who thought Harte had a poor game on Saturday I would suggest you watch the game again. Tyrone would not have won the game without him. People seem to just see his mistakes and not see the runs that work, the passes into the full forwards chests and the scores that he works for himself. By his own very high standards he could be better but he is still more than good enough to justify his selection. Hopefully he will continue to improve as the games get harder.

StephenC

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 30, 2013, 08:21:04 AM
Quote from: Fuzzman on July 29, 2013, 04:44:18 PM
I heard he's badly hurt his calf and will be out for the foreseeable future.

Did anyone else think Joe was quiet on Sat?
A lot more people are taking notice of Mattie Donnelly now I see.
Be interesting to see who Monaghan mark him.

Mattie Donnelly is our top scorer in the championship too this year, doing well.  What is the latest on Ronan O'Neill?  We really need some top quality attacking threat in the full forward line if we are to go anywhere.  Monaghan people are overfilling with confidence after one good performance, 2010 all over again.

Bit harsh no? I reckon Monaghan folks are (rightly) annoyed at the way they have been completely dismissed for this game. Perhaps even more so than they were before the Ulster final? While Tyrone are rightly favourites, it wouldn't require the miracle that some people are on about for them to make it a really close contest. I'd love to see Monaghan win and then overpower Mayo to get to the final. It's unlikely but possible.

Main Street

Sean Cavanagh could be a serious health concern judging by the state of him after the massive effort he had to put in, to keep an ordinary enough Meath team at bay. Probably would be advisable to have oxygen tanks within easy reach on the sidelines, considering Tyrone will have to step up another gear or two for this encounter.

Schkite

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 30, 2013, 08:21:04 AM
Monaghan people are overfilling with confidence after one good performance, 2010 all over again.

We're Ulster champions, clearly it's nothing like 2010. Yes, we have played alot better against Donegal than the previous two games, but that big performance came in a big game when it was needed, unlike other years.

Monaghan have every right to approach this game with confidence, Tyrone aren't as good as ye think they are lads. Obviously they could well win, it'll be a tight one either way I think. But anyone who is seriously dismissing Monaghan's chances is clueless.

God14

Quote from: EC Unique on July 30, 2013, 08:22:10 AM
Anyone who thought Harte had a poor game on Saturday I would suggest you watch the game again. Tyrone would not have won the game without him. People seem to just see his mistakes and not see the runs that work, the passes into the full forwards chests and the scores that he works for himself. By his own very high standards he could be better but he is still more than good enough to justify his selection. Hopefully he will continue to improve as the games get harder.

Id agree with that. I think his performance on Saturday was significantly improved from earlier in the year, and we all know there is still allot more in him. He made one or two silly mistakes that marred an otherwise fine individual performance.
Im still not sure we know his best position. Id like to see him play Joes role as sweeper, and perhaps utilise Joes height, strength, and playmaking further out the field.
But that's neither here nor there. Mickey wont make many changes for Saturday. In fact if there are no injurys (Mark Donnelly?) I expect him to go with the same again. Ciaran McGinley done enough to retain his place. Ryan McKenna maybe vulnerable, but we wont see more than one change.