Tyrone v Monaghan Quarter Final

Started by tyronefan, July 27, 2013, 10:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muzz

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on July 29, 2013, 02:08:25 PM
Quote from: Muzz on July 29, 2013, 10:10:16 AM
In all seriousness where has the Monaghan confidence come from?  Yes they beat Donegal over 70 minutes with an intensity not seen before by them. Those 70 minutes was monaghans all Ireland. As someone else has said this is bonus territory for them. Of course they will give it a go but I am still mystified.

Tyrone on the other hand have experience at this late stage of the championship, with a mixture of youth and oldies. They haven't been playing great for a full 70 minutes and to win the all Ireland they'd need to start however Monaghan will not win this game approaching it with the same tactics as they did for Donegal. Versus Meath I never once felt Tyrone would lose the game and always felt they had more in the tank to get over the line, naivity perhaps but I feel the same versus Monaghan.

Ah that trite cliche again... How do you know it was our AI, what facts or indeed logic are you basing that statement on?

I seriously disagree with your second (highlighted) statement also. If Monaghan play with the same intensity and tactics I'd be pretty confident that they will beat Tyrone. Some of your fellow posters have agreed with this also. Perhaps it is naivety on your part..

It is bonus territory, but they will be well up for this match, knowing that a place in the last four beckons should they advance. Monaghan are a good mixture of experience and youth also. They older lads have been on the end of many a beating from Tyrone, due to their superior footballing ability, as stated by yourself. However, it is conceivable now for Monahan to be confident going into this game, for which they will be underdogs no doubt.  ;)

Of course it was their all Ireland no one would disagree with that. The stats and reason for that is simple...Monaghan do not play with that intensity any other time. To win the ulster championship was a massive achievement for Monaghan. 

Refarding the tactics deployed as someone else said above Monaghan won the game by getting ahead early. Monaghan did a Donegal get ahead and swarm the defence to make scores harder to come by. Tyrone won't mind being behind and have come from behind twice versus Meath. They will believe they can come back.  That's why I believe the tactics need to change.

FarneyMan

Just realised it was Cormac Reilly ref'd the last championship encounter between us in 2011, sent off 2 from Monaghan and awarded 2 penalties (one to each side).......

Fuzzman

Was curious about our scoring stats this year as was thinking our half backs aren't scoring as freely as in other years

2.77 in 5 matches with Stevie only scoring 2 points isn't great considering we put up a massive 1.27 v a very poor Offaly outfit.
I suppose a lot more teams are using the sweeper systems these days so it's harder for players to get big scores like years ago.

Donegal -    0.10
S. Cavanagh, Mat. Donnelly 0-02 each,
N. Morgan, Justin McMahon, C. Cavanagh, S. O'Neill, C. McAliskey, K. Coney 0-01 eac

Offaly      1.27 - Seems to be an extra score in the names below from the Indo.
R O'Neill 1-2,
D McCurry 0-8 (3f),
S Cavanagh 0-6 (5f),
Mattie Donnelly 0-3,
C McAliskey, Mark Donnelly, C Clarke 0-2 each,
C McGinley, K Coney (f) 0-1 each.

Roscommon   0.12
D McCurry 0-6 (4f),
S Cavanagh (1f), Mark Donnelly 0-2 each,
M Penrose, C McAliskey (45) 0-1 each

Kildare      1.11
Mattie Donnelly 1-01,
S Cavanagh (3f) 0-04,
D McCurry (3f)  0-03,
P Harte, Mark Donnelly, M Penrose (1f) 0-01 each

Meath      0.17
S Cavanagh (0-8, 0-6 frees);
Matthew Donnelly (0-2),
D McCurry (0-5, 0-3 frees, 0-1 45),
S O'Neill (0-1)
A Cassidy (0-1)

McCurry0-22   ...8 from play
S.Cavanagh0-22   ...7 from play
Mat.Donnelly1-10
Mark Donelly0-05
C.McAliskey0-03
R.O'Neill1-02
C.Clarke 0-02
M.Penrose0-02
k.Coney0-02
S.O'Neill0-02
P.Harte0-01
A.Cassidy0-01
N.Morgan0-01
Justin McMahon0-01   
C.Cavanagh0-01
C.McGinley0-01

No wonder young McCurry seems to have a pep in his step. I didn't realise he was top scorer.
We seem to use Stevie more now as a way to win scoreable frees.

omagh_gael

Will any of the Monaghan team be sober by Saturday? Skip forward to 20th minute...hey hey hey Farney Army!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4LmYbZgpjE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

FarneyMan

All been drinking their brains out since 21st july........
That win was our All-Ireland.........
Dont be worrying about us next Saturday, sure we're still on the lash.....

Fuzzman

That's what we though Farneyman and thanks for ruffing up Donegal for us and Mayo.
We'll let ye win in the 1st round of Ulster next year for a change.

omagh_gael

Quote from: FarneyMan on July 29, 2013, 03:47:05 PM
All been drinking their brains out since 21st july........
That win was our All-Ireland.........
Dont be worrying about us next Saturday, sure we're still on the lash.....

Good man. Sure if any of your lads need a lift from the Westenra the Tyrone team usually have their breakfast there on the way through and can give them a lift ;)

God14

I see Peter Harte made the hoganstand team of the week for the second week in succession. I actually thought he played well on Saturday night.
Looking forward to watching it back tonight when I get home from work, but I was surprised by some of the comments a few pages back.

Was looking through the stats that Fuzzman posted up there. Ronan O'Neill kicked 1-2 as a sub against Offaly, yet hasn't had a sniff since.

Any of the Omagh lads know if Justy will be available come Saturday? He'd be a good option against a very physical & robust Monaghan side.

Fuzzman

I heard he's badly hurt his calf and will be out for the foreseeable future.

Did anyone else think Joe was quiet on Sat?
A lot more people are taking notice of Mattie Donnelly now I see.
Be interesting to see who Monaghan mark him.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Muzz on July 29, 2013, 03:11:26 PM
Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on July 29, 2013, 02:08:25 PM
Quote from: Muzz on July 29, 2013, 10:10:16 AM
In all seriousness where has the Monaghan confidence come from?  Yes they beat Donegal over 70 minutes with an intensity not seen before by them. Those 70 minutes was monaghans all Ireland. As someone else has said this is bonus territory for them. Of course they will give it a go but I am still mystified.

Tyrone on the other hand have experience at this late stage of the championship, with a mixture of youth and oldies. They haven't been playing great for a full 70 minutes and to win the all Ireland they'd need to start however Monaghan will not win this game approaching it with the same tactics as they did for Donegal. Versus Meath I never once felt Tyrone would lose the game and always felt they had more in the tank to get over the line, naivity perhaps but I feel the same versus Monaghan.

Ah that trite cliche again... How do you know it was our AI, what facts or indeed logic are you basing that statement on?

I seriously disagree with your second (highlighted) statement also. If Monaghan play with the same intensity and tactics I'd be pretty confident that they will beat Tyrone. Some of your fellow posters have agreed with this also. Perhaps it is naivety on your part..

It is bonus territory, but they will be well up for this match, knowing that a place in the last four beckons should they advance. Monaghan are a good mixture of experience and youth also. They older lads have been on the end of many a beating from Tyrone, due to their superior footballing ability, as stated by yourself. However, it is conceivable now for Monahan to be confident going into this game, for which they will be underdogs no doubt.  ;)

Of course it was their all Ireland no one would disagree with that. The stats and reason for that is simple...Monaghan do not play with that intensity any other time. To win the ulster championship was a massive achievement for Monaghan. 

Refarding the tactics deployed as someone else said above Monaghan won the game by getting ahead early. Monaghan did a Donegal get ahead and swarm the defence to make scores harder to come by. Tyrone won't mind being behind and have come from behind twice versus Meath. They will believe they can come back.  That's why I believe the tactics need to change.

And Monaghan may build up an early lead again and maintain it. Tyrone will of course mind being behind. One of the main reasons why you won on Sat was that you had the lead going into the last ten mins. You subsequently pulled to the ground every Meath man who attempted to make an attack in a cynical tactical ploy to close out the game. Even your best forward Stephen O'Neill had to walk the line to comply with this ploy which I thought was sad to be honest.. Based on this I don't believe the tactics need to change at all i.e. if Monaghan have the lead then pulling and rugby tackling men to the ground will be of little use to Tyrone...

ONeill

Question:

Are Monaghan the worst Ulster Champions since 1988?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Redhand Santa

Bit sceptical about the appointment of a Meath referee following the media coverage of SAturdays game. The rte bias in relation to the game was unreal. Deegan gave soft frees throughout the game and there was cynical fouls by both teams but they were only interested in the soft frees given to Tyrone and their fouls.

I was delighted with our victory on Saturday and ability to win tight championship games against difficult opposition.  To me the last few weeks have been perfect preparation for the quarter finals. You only need to win games by a point and we've consistently producing results throughout the year.

I wouldn't be making many changes to the starting team from the last day. There's a lot of know all's in Tyrone who think they know best and would drop half the team but to me Harte has got it close to right. McGinley did a good job on Saturday.

This is a great opportunity to get to the semi finals and from there anything is possible.

ONeill

Quote from: EC Unique on July 29, 2013, 02:38:35 PM
Given that there were no injuries or suspensions I think Tyrone will line out very similar if not exactly the same. I would like to see Cassidy get a full game but maybe he is not fit for that and always comes on to great effect as a sub. I doubt if Coney will get another chance from the bench as he was poor when he came on and McAlisky would be deserving of a chance at this stage. McGinley got a bit of stick on here when selected against Meath but I think he did enough to keep his place. Monaghan won the game against Donegal in the first 10 minutes by coming out of the traps at 100mph. Donegal did not know what hit them. If Tyrone can win the first quarter then they will win the game. If we can get ahead by 2 or 3 points in that period then we will see what Monaghan are made of....

I think that's spot on.

Colm pulled it out of the bag late on and hopefully starts as he finished on Saturday. Tyrone looked more secure without McCrory.

I must watch the game again. To me it seemed like Mark Donnelly had one of his poorest games to date, although the Irish News gave him a high enough rating. I barely remember him being on the ball apart from the last 5 mins of the first half.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

jftj

ec unique ,and the tyrone public wonder why theyre the most hated team in the 32.dont think you will be sniggering much longer-monaghan by 5.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: ONeill on July 29, 2013, 10:07:49 PM
Question:

Are Monaghan the worst Ulster Champions since 1988?

Of course they are O'Neill. Did that question even need to be asked?  ::)