Started by squire_in_navy_slacks, July 27, 2013, 09:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emmetryan

writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Canalman on July 29, 2013, 03:44:15 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 28, 2013, 05:45:11 PM
Quote from: Canalman on July 28, 2013, 05:43:13 PM
Still have the feeling that our best backs are not in the present Dublin team and I hope I am proved wrong. Worst draw to get............. Cork and Kerry have the best footballers in the country.

Would hope Jim Gavin is on the ball on the sideline as I reckon we will have to make the subs very quickly if we are to win.

Cork by 2 points again.

Good one Canalman, you almost had me for a second.

Honestly, would be more confident if both Cian O'Sullivan and Kevin Nolan were in the backs. Lads presently in the backs so far have done nothing to deserve being dropped but the quality of forwards they will face in Cork are light years better than what they have played so far. If Fitzsimons has found form as well he would also be in with a shot.

To quote O'Neill in Platoon.......... "I got  a bad feeling on this one "

Would you drop Brennan for Nolan though? O'Sullivan in the corner would be a good call, Cooper not suited to the full back line.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Jinxy

Where the hell is Philly McMahon?
If Dublin ever need someone to drop into a sweeper role he's the perfect man.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: Jinxy on July 30, 2013, 10:32:20 AM
Where the hell is Philly McMahon?
If Dublin ever need someone to drop into a sweeper role he's the perfect man.

Spot on Jinx.........................like all managers certain players always seem to fall down the pecking order

Canalman

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 30, 2013, 10:31:15 AM
Quote from: Canalman on July 29, 2013, 03:44:15 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 28, 2013, 05:45:11 PM
Quote from: Canalman on July 28, 2013, 05:43:13 PM
Still have the feeling that our best backs are not in the present Dublin team and I hope I am proved wrong. Worst draw to get............. Cork and Kerry have the best footballers in the country.

Would hope Jim Gavin is on the ball on the sideline as I reckon we will have to make the subs very quickly if we are to win.

Cork by 2 points again.

Good one Canalman, you almost had me for a second.

Honestly, would be more confident if both Cian O'Sullivan and Kevin Nolan were in the backs. Lads presently in the backs so far have done nothing to deserve being dropped but the quality of forwards they will face in Cork are light years better than what they have played so far. If Fitzsimons has found form as well he would also be in with a shot.

To quote O'Neill in Platoon.......... "I got  a bad feeling on this one "

Would you drop Brennan for Nolan though? O'Sullivan in the corner would be a good call, Cooper not suited to the full back line.

Appreciate that no one deserves to be dropped so far and would be delighted to be proved wrong on Saturday. If things are going wrong , would really hope changes are made quickly and Nolan/ O'Sullivan parachuted in .

Syferus

Quote from: emmetryan on July 29, 2013, 06:28:59 PM
Hi guys,

Tactical preview of Dublin vs Cork is now up
http://action81.com/blog/?p=7487

Emmet

QuoteConor Counihan has been a tremendous tactician in recent seasons, despite claims that he's stale. This column would have people who think that sit and watch every game the Rebels played in 2012 with me as a counterpoint.

Oh dear.

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on July 29, 2013, 02:40:43 PM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on July 29, 2013, 02:35:39 PM
No reason for Dublin to fear Cork next weekend - 4/5 point win for Dublin

They have a potentially great midfield and forwards that given the way we are playing at the back they have the potential to murder us there .......................I hope Gavin starts Rock\Andrews and leaves EOG on the bench

Maybe pull Cian into the backs instead off cooper and put Bastic in the middle with Mickey

They've produced nothing though in the last few years - poor league, poor championships etc......Dublin have shown far more over the last 3 years than Cork so should be favourites and should win.

Zulu

I agree, Dublin should be favourites but Cork have loads of quality and are more than capable of taking anyone out. Form is a funny thing but if you have the ability you can produce high quality performances even if you haven't done so consistently previously. Cork played brilliantly in the first half against Donegal last year, hammered Kildare in the previous round and had Kerry on the rack in the second half of the Munster final so to say they haven't [played well in a few years is incorrect.

I expect a big performance from them but it won't be enough and I think Dublin will win a cracking game. I can't wait for this weekend.

Captain Obvious

Both teams free scoring and loose at the back it should be the highest scoring quarter final this weekend.

Zulu

Cork (SFC v Dublin): Alan Quirke (Valley Rovers); Eoin Cadogan (Douglas), Michael Shields (St Finbarr's), Thomas Clancy (Clonakilty); Damien Cahalane (Castlehaven), Graham Canty (Bantry Blues), James Loughrey (Mallow); Alan O'Connor (St Colum's), Pearse O'Neill (Aghada); Mark Collins (Castlehaven), Aidan Walsh (Kanturk), John O'Rourke (Carbery Rangers); Daniel Goulding (Eire Óg), Ciarán Sheehan (Eire Óg), Brian Hurley (Castlehaven).

Subs: Ken O'Halloran (Bishopstown), John Mc Loughlin (Kanturk), Tomás Clancy (Fermoy), Noel O'Leary (Cill na Martra), Jamie O'Sullivan (Bishopstown), Paudie Kissane (Clyda Rovers), Andrew O'Sullivan (Castletownbere), Fintan Goold (Macroom), Patrick Kelly (Ballincollig), Paul Kerrigan (Nemo Rangers), Donncha O'Connor (Ballydesmond).

Posted with the usual caveat for Cork that this team won't start.

lynchbhoy

Dublin the form team and should win.
Cooper indeed is not a full/corner back, played all his underage in hb line.think he plays for na fianna in hb line now too.
Jim Gavin is a good manager but some of his selections I'd not agree with and imo he is a tad slow to change things on the line.
Cork have the best squad in the country. Counihan should be shot for wasting their talent this past 6 or so years out of 7. (I think his tenure has been).
Cork have the ability to upset the form book and win this. Then they could lose next day out to anyone (eg leitrim).
So this game is far from cut and dried.
Tyrone and monaghan will be close run also.
Sunday should be interesting too.
Youd expect Dublin, Tyrone, Kerry and mayo to win - but every team has a shot at winning imo that includes the brave breffni lads!!
looking forward to it!
will miss these weekends in a couple of months time!

Captain Obvious

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 31, 2013, 09:47:37 PM

Counihan should be shot for wasting their talent this past 6 or so years out of 7. (I think his tenure has been).
February 2008 he started to manage Cork.

2008 lost the All Ireland semi final to Kerry
2009 Lost the All Ireland final to Kerry
2010 won the All Ireland final
2011 lost the All Ireland quarter final to Mayo
2012 lost the All Ireland semi final to Donegal

Did he really waste talent or was Kerry,Donegal just better than them? could have done better in 2011 however as Dublin found out it isn't easy to defend a title.

lynchbhoy

tks - couldnt remember if counihan was manager that year they were decimated by kerry in the AIF.

the other teams beat them alright, but imo with the talent Cork have, they are being wasted with that manager.
Sorry to crticise a man who I regarded very highly as a player,but he (like any human) has made mistakes on the line and in team selection and formation etc etc but it has cost Cork.

they should be dominating or have been dominating football since 2008 - thats how highly I rate their squad.
they have had a few great u21 teams and players in that period also I think.
anyhow thats just my opnion.

Could swamp and beat Dubs on Sunday, but I dont think that will happen given their lack of organisation.
they only shine in the last 10-20 mins of a game when they abandon all tactics and cut loose. tha to me demonstrates ther actual ability and talent.

Zulu

Dubs unchanged: Cluxton, Cooper, O'Carroll, O'Brien, McCarthy, Brennan, McCaffrey, MacAuley, O'Sull, Flynn, Kilkenny, Connolly, Mannion, O'Gara, Brogan

Syferus

For God's sake Jim, just start Dean Rock and have it over with. O'Gara making the starting line-up before Rock is close to insanity.