Mayo v Donegal all ireland quarter final Sunday Aug 4 4.00pm

Started by maigheo, July 27, 2013, 08:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emmetryan

writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

yellowcard

Would agree that the McGee incident was bad looking but has got overlooked because there is no need for any analysts to pursue their agendas since Donegal are out of the championship. I generally don't like to see players publicly being hung by salaried armchair panellists but the inconsistency is alarming.

Syferus

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 04, 2013, 08:35:37 PM
Lest anyone forgets, Tyrone and Kerry are haven't gone away, you know. They were the teams that dominated the last decade I wouldn't write off either just yet. I'll wait until after the semis before I'd put money on Mayo, or for that matter the Dubs, going the whole way.
I think Mayo are ideally placed as they are still in the development stage and haven't peaked yet. How much more Horan can coax out of them remains to be seen.

They've gone far enough away that it would be a major, major shock if either scores more than a moral victory over Mayo or Dublin.

ck

Not on to gloat, just to remind all the Donegal lads on here during the week that your manager contributed to the shambles that was in cork park today. He won you an all ireland last year but this year he has been a bit of a disaster. His bullshit media talk has backfired and helped Mayo seal a fine win today. Hope he looses the ego and gets Donegal back on track next year

SouthDublinBro

Great to see another 2 Ulster teams taken out back and blown away today, but to the Mayo man somewhere ITT who suggested that Cillian O'Connor is already on Colm Cooper/Bernard Brogan's level, I would say he's nothing more than the next Ray Cosgrove right now.

From the Bunker

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on August 04, 2013, 11:25:33 PM
Great to see another 2 Ulster teams taken out back and blown away today, but to the Mayo man somewhere ITT who suggested that Cillian O'Connor is already on Colm Cooper/Bernard Brogan's level, I would say he's nothing more than the next Ray Cosgrove right now.

And there is nothing wrong with that? The lad is 21 and coming back from injury!

BennyCake

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on August 04, 2013, 11:25:33 PM

Not as great as it will be when Dublin are stuffed by either Kerry or Mayo.

SouthDublinBro

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 04, 2013, 11:31:19 PMAnd there is nothing wrong with that? The lad is 21 and coming back from injury!

There is nothing wrong with that. Glad to see you're level-headed enough to agree with me. God knows there's enough Mayo lads out there who think he's already some sort of footballing God.

Quote from: hardstation on August 04, 2013, 11:34:44 PMWhy?

Because of people like the guy who created the "ULSTER DOMINANCE" thread. Not a fan of the circlejerk the Ulster county fans have over their "more competitive" and "higher standard of football" in the Ulster championship. Hopefully Mayo taking Donegal to school will help some of these Ulster boys reel their necks in a bit.

Jinxy

Massive performance from Mayo.
I think they can ease off a bit for Tyrone and then build themselves back up for the Dubs.
Hard to maintain that intensity.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Whitnail

Quote from: ck on August 04, 2013, 11:00:18 PM
Not on to gloat, just to remind all the Donegal lads on here during the week that your manager contributed to the shambles that was in cork park today. He won you an all ireland last year but this year he has been a bit of a disaster. His bullshit media talk has backfired and helped Mayo seal a fine win today. Hope he looses the ego and gets Donegal back on track next year

It didn't help mayo or contribute anything.

Jimmy  didn't  mention anything  about rough tackles before the Ulster final.
The fact we got relegated and were a shambles in all but one championship match had nothing to do with Jim's 'media' either.

I told you so's are bad  enough but  when your point dosn't stand on its own two feet without rubber crutches ...it's worse!

Jinxy

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 04, 2013, 05:30:34 PM
Reminds me of Meath trouncing Kerry in the 2001 semi-finals. Only worse.

My father said that to me during the game.
Corner backs coming up the field lashing the ball over the bar.
Almost surreal.
No 'olés' though!  :D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Wildweasel74

Donegal will be back next yr, they have to use the league to look at 2 midfielders,and find enough players to make a proper bench. they also need to look at a attacking game plan to bring their potent full forward line into the game. and not just Plan A the war of attrition!! some of their players have been as feared revealed to be average enough and this system temporarily covered this. Time to blood alot of young lads in Div 2 and find some decent players. Will still be the strongest team in ulster come in year!

From the Bunker

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 05, 2013, 12:14:10 AM
Donegal will be back next yr, they have to use the league to look at 2 midfielders,and find enough players to make a proper bench. they also need to look at a attacking game plan to bring their potent full forward line into the game. and not just Plan A the war of attrition!! some of their players have been as feared revealed to be average enough and this system temporarily covered this. Time to blood alot of young lads in Div 2 and find some decent players. Will still be the strongest team in ulster come in year!

I'm afraid Donegal are gone as AI contenders. They may sneak a Anglo Celt but they do not have the panel to aim higher at the moment. Injuries this year showed up their bench. Also, McGuinness management style is based on belief and this is going to be hard sell.

Don't think I'm getting cocky. We are in the same boat if we don't win an AI this year. How can Horan sell having a go for another year? Only difference is (and it's a big one) you got your hands on Sam!

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 05, 2013, 12:21:00 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 05, 2013, 12:14:10 AM

I'm afraid Donegal are gone as AI contenders. They may sneak a Anglo Celt but they do not have the panel to aim higher at the moment. Injuries this year showed up their bench. Also, McGuinness management style is based on belief and this is going to be hard sell.

Don't think I'm getting cocky. We are in the same boat if we don't win an AI this year. How can Horan sell having a go for another year? Only difference is (and it's a big one) you got your hands on Sam!

I think the drop-off will be more pronounced next year if ye do win it than if ye didn't. Might be the best thing that can happen for the rest of Connacht.

J70

Holy f**k, just off a long flight, missed the whole thing (and the whole, apparently controversial build-up all week!). No desire to watch it either, having seen the scoreline and read the reports! I thought we would lose, possibly by seven or eight, but I did not see a hammering of that magnitude coming!  :-[

Lads have looked done out the last few games, injuries and third season of intense training, as well as obvious lack of hunger that afflicts most teams that have gone the whole way. And it would definitely appear that those who claimed earlier in the year that our squad is seriously wanting beyond the first sixteen or seventeen can feel vindicated.

But these lads owe us Donegal people nothing. They won a magnificent AI last year and brought huge joy to the county at a difficult time. Mayo may have hammered us today, but I'm happy enough to take that after last season.

That said, best of luck to the Mayo lads from here on in. Their history of final heartbreak aside, on a personal level, the maternal half of my family comes from Mayo, so I'd be only delighted to see them finally get to celebrate an AI win.