Good opinion piece on the tackle

Started by Zulu, July 25, 2013, 01:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: Stall the Bailer on July 26, 2013, 02:03:41 PM
The problem is if you referee by the rulebook then there will be a free every 30 seconds or so. But everyone wants the game to flow. Theonly way for this to happen is to ignore rules/fouls. Each ref ignores different rules/fouls leading to inconsistent refereeing from match to match.

Question; If a game is deemed not to be flowing, why is it always the referees fault and not that of the players doing the fouling?

magpie seanie

The problem is if you referee by the rulebook then there will be a free every 30 seconds or so. But everyone wants the game to flow. Theonly way for this to happen is to ignore rules/fouls. Each ref ignores different rules/fouls leading to inconsistent refereeing from match to match.

When I first started playing as a kid you learned to "play the referee" or work out what he would and wouldn't allow. I think refs were a bit more consistent in what the allowed to go/penalised back then than they are now. Interpretations seem to change with the half time cuppa a lot these days....

Stall the Bailer

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 26, 2013, 02:11:08 PM

When I first started playing as a kid you learned to "play the referee" or work out what he would and wouldn't allow. I think refs were a bit more consistent in what the allowed to go/penalised back then than they are now. Interpretations seem to change with the half time cuppa a lot these days....

That's true.
At the moment I think a lot of players/managers and especially supporters don't know all the rules.
Which leads to a lot of shouting at refs during games, this is compounded with the inconsistency of the applications of the rules from referees.
With all the new rules coming next year, there will be more confusion and inconsistency.

Lucifer

I brought a foreign relation to a game once and had the following conversation;

'So why do they bounce and take a wee kick back to themselves?'

'That is a solo, or toe tap.  You have to do this or bounce every 4 steps, but you can't bounce twice in a row.'

*PLAY CONTINUES*

'Did you say every 4 steps?'

'Yes ... but it isn't really applied very strictly.'

'Oh right.  Why?'

'4 steps isn't enough, it's hard to make any real progress with the ball in hand, whilst being tackled, if you have to take a play every 4 steps.'

'Why don't they just give you more steps then?'

And therein lies the solution for me.  Obviously some will say that every 4 steps allows defenders a chance to dispossess, and increasing that amount will reduce that chance.  However I believe this will not be the case as the current interpretation (as alluded to by Mrs Mills) allows for 4 steps coming into and going away from, the tackler.  Give 6 steps and apply the rule strictly and defenders will actually have a better chance of creating a turnover.

Rossfan

The problem is if you referee by the rulebook then there will be a free every 30 seconds or so.

Then it must be time to change the rule book if you can't play a game without committing a breach of rule every thirty seconds.
How come the same lads who do all this fouling when playing football can also play soccer and never commit a foul???
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Stall the Bailer

Quote from: Rossfan on July 27, 2013, 11:28:36 AM

The problem is if you referee by the rulebook then there will be a free every 30 seconds or so.

Then it must be time to change the rule book if you can't play a game without committing a breach of rule every thirty seconds.
How come the same lads who do all this fouling when playing football can also play soccer and never commit a foul???
I am not taking about me but players in general. In soccer players know what they can and can't get away with. This changes from game to game in the gaa. Even though the rules are almost the same in hurling, you will get away with a lot more physical contact. Some refs will be the same in football others will ref it more inline to the rulebook.