Nurses Strike

Started by blast05, April 03, 2007, 09:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

I think its good money, but reading sundays papers, it seems that admin staff nurses are included in this survey - their wages certainly bring up the average

when we think about nurses, we think about the ones that do the real work.
Much as I like my sister, I dont really care that she gets an increase or not, she gets decent wage (although only half of normal as she is jobsharing in order to bring up her three kids)
I would like her left to do nursing related work - not organise ambulances, sort out bed shortage disputes and referee potential violent situations where there are not enough security staff.

She has told us horrific stories of people coming into temple st years ago and simply TAKING beds - as the security staff were too afraid to stop them.
Also users coming in searching for drugs was another common occurrence.

I dont know what the nurses strategy is - it certainly is doing them no favours - but 10% might be nice to get - it wont clear up the problems they are experiencing, maybe they know that these vaccancies wont be filled and are just looking for additional money - because they are going to be doing this additional non nursing work anyhow

Bogball XV

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Bogball XV on April 11, 2007, 10:46:53 AM
Shockingly, the teachers are now looking for 10% too!!
http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1810064&issue_id=15490
are they looking to do 10% more work ?

lazy ersed sihtes

teaching - the job for people who cant hack it in the real world!

Gnevin

What is it with public sectors workers , they want all the goods from benchmarking , labour court but the minute they see the possibility to make a quick buck its everyone for themself .  I'm getting sick of these people holding the country to ransom every 2 years
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Gnevin on April 11, 2007, 12:18:15 PM
What is it with public sectors workers , they want all the goods from benchmarking , labour court but the minute they see the possibility to make a quick buck its everyone for themself .  I'm getting sick of these people holding the country to ransom every 2 years

how about benchmarking against their effectiveness?

Hardy

It's human nature, as countless experiments in psychology have shown. When you can take action with no visible connection to consequences for yourself, most people will take that action, regardless of the consequences for others. There are no visible consequences for the public service workers in industrial action for more pay. They can't lose their jobs. Their pay only goes up, never down. The consequences are for the rest of us.

magpie seanie

Lone Shark is right and while the PR imbalance exists there are few as deadly as Harney for ramming it home. Whatever the rights and wrongs of the situation I think the nurses are all but beaten already.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Hardy on April 11, 2007, 12:23:36 PM
It's human nature, as countless experiments in psychology have shown. When you can take action with no visible connection to consequences for yourself, most people will take that action, regardless of the consequences for others. There are no visible consequences for the public service workers in industrial action for more pay. They can't lose their jobs. Their pay only goes up, never down. The consequences are for the rest of us.

'give them an inch' you mean ?
hmm - interesting

as for you magpie
whats this about beating nurses   :o

Gnevin

100% right hardy . They've nothing to loose and it all to gain
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: Gnevin on April 11, 2007, 12:32:46 PM
100% right hardy . They've nothing to loose and it all to gain
couldnt agree more.

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on April 05, 2007, 07:58:56 PM
This strike is systematic of most of the public sector.Unions holding the Gov. to ransom and if they dont get what they want...no matter how unfeasible it is.................strike...look at Aer Lingus,the train drivers who wanted more money to drive new trains,nurses,decentralisation of civil servants.I work for a private company,i dont get"extra for living in Dublin" or extra for implementing new procedures and if they company was to relocate to a different part of the country well id have the choice move to the new base or leave...why does it have to be so different for all our public service workers?

Gnevin

A planned two-hour work stoppage at hospitals nationwide by nurses has been called off following a breakthrough in talks with health employers.

The Irish Nurses' Organisation and the Psychiatric Nurses' Association have accepted a deal put forward by the National Implementation Body which will see their working week cut from 39 hours down to 37.5 hours by June of next year.

It will also involve a pay rise which will be processed through bench-marking.

It represents a major compromise from the 35-hour week and 10.6% pay hike that nurses had wanted.

However, the work-to-rule involving a ban on administrative work by nurses will continue until next Monday.

The unions must ballot their members for a formal mandate on whether to end the industrial action.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/?jp=MHKFAUIDCWQL

Something had to give but at the end of the day i would of been happy if they got nothing .As has been said here they had it all to gain and nothing to loose .The minute the govt threaten too take a percentage of their wages they are willing to talk.

his holiness nb

I'd also suggest they didnt forsee getting what they want from Fine Gael either, otherwise why start compromising a week before the election?

The opposition will be kicking themselves if this is sorted before the election.
Ask me holy bollix

blast05

I see they are looking for even moer this time !!

http://breaking.tcm.ie/ireland/mhcwaucwojgb/

In comparing themselves with phsyiotherapists, are they comparing like with like ?