All-Ireland Minor Football Championship 2013

Started by Syferus, July 21, 2013, 05:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Quote from: larryin89 on July 28, 2013, 03:20:09 PM
I find it quite amusing the obsession the rossies have with the minor grade, its fuckin mental carry on, honestly will ye ever cop on to the fact it means jack shit when it comes to senior grade.

The minor grade is feeder for U-21 level and then you hope get at least dozen good underage players out of any successful underage teams. In Mayo case you could have the likes of Aidan O'Shea,Cillian O'Connor who impressed so much at minor level that they don't need the U-21 grade to make the step.

Before the early 00s we didn't take our underage football very serious while underage success is no guarantee of senior success continued failure at under age practically guarantees failure at senior level.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Tubberman

You hope to get a dozen senior players out of a successful minor team???
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Farrandeelin

Quote from: ross4life on July 28, 2013, 03:54:30 PM
I find it quite amusing the obsession the rossies have with the minor grade, its fuckin mental carry on, honestly will ye ever cop on to the fact it means jack shit when it comes to senior grade.

The minor grade is feeder for U-21 level and then you hope get at least dozen good underage players out of any successful underage teams. In Mayo case you could have the likes of Aidan O'Shea,Cillian O'Connor who impressed so much at minor level that they don't need the U-21 grade to make the step.

Before the early 00s we didn't take our underage football very serious while underage success is no guarantee of senior success continued failure at under age practically guarantees failure at senior level.

Very well said. I also like the minor grade too, and the u-21 grade too for that matter.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

muppet

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 28, 2013, 03:56:18 PM
Quote from: ross4life on July 28, 2013, 03:54:30 PM

Very well said. I also like the minor grade too, and the u-21 grade too for that matter.

Agreed, I saw Pearse Hanley score 9 points in an U-21 match in McHale Park. I was really looking forward to seeing him when he was a bit older but alas.
MWWSI 2017

ross4life

Quote from: Tubberman on July 28, 2013, 03:55:49 PM
You hope to get a dozen senior players out of a successful minor team???

I said teams. U-21 and few minor teams

For our example we lost 2009 minor Connacht final to ye after replay. Paddy Brogan, Niall Daly, Ciaran Cafferky; Cathal Shine,Scott Oates, Colin Compton etc was on that minor team.  They all played in last years U-21 team that reached All Ireland final and all of them are on our current senior panel
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

From the Bunker

Ah, you are being a little harsh. There is no harm in some one getting excited in the progression of their counties underage teams. Especially if their senior team is going through a bad patch. It can help moral in a county and offer a small bit of hope for the future.

larryin89

Ahh you're missing the point, i'm not saying you don't get a few players from minor teams that progress both into 21s and  then senior. Its the whole level on concentration on the actual teams results in Ros since 06 minor win , its no harm but id go as far to say the rossie set up has neglected the senior camp in preference for making good underage  teams.

My ideas would be different, lets take that crompton lad ye had in the middle the last day, he's got it, he'd make it, he's for the future, take him away and tell him he's going to be the anchor in ros midfield and nurture him and advise him , i wouldn't even be bothered with putting him through 21 level , put him into senior squad next season.

Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Syferus

We started an 18 year-old against Tyrone, don't you worry your headers about us getting lads into the senior team early. Evans already has our just-turned-19 U21 midfielder on a program to ready him for senior.

We can walk and chew gum at the same time.

Tubberman

Quote from: Syferus on July 28, 2013, 04:53:57 PM
We started an 18 year-old against Tyrone, don't you worry your headers about us getting lads into the senior team early. Evans already has our just-turned-19 U21 midfielder on a program to ready him for senior.

Mind you don't choke ;)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

ross4life

Quote from: larryin89 on July 28, 2013, 04:14:35 PM
Ahh you're missing the point, i'm not saying you don't get a few players from minor teams that progress both into 21s and  then senior. Its the whole level on concentration on the actual teams results in Ros since 06 minor win , its no harm but id go as far to say the rossie set up has neglected the senior camp in preference for making good underage  teams.

My ideas would be different, lets take that crompton lad ye had in the middle the last day, he's got it, he'd make it, he's for the future, take him away and tell him he's going to be the anchor in ros midfield and nurture him and advise him , i wouldn't even be bothered with putting him through 21 level , put him into senior squad next season.

Remember before the early 00s we neglected our underage teams and are still paying for it at senior level.

When our 2006 minor players came into senior side they hadn't many decent players to lead them forward the 2012,2013 minors should be in different situation now. As for putting minors straight into senior level well for example we more or less did that with Donal,Enda Smith remains to be seen if Cathal Compton will get the nod i'd say last years minor Thomas Corcoran will get chance before him.

I enjoy watching any grade so much more to GAA than just senior level and then you have club football it brings great pride in any supporter to see his club player representing his county.

Rossfan

Quote from: Tubberman on July 28, 2013, 04:57:04 PM

Mind you don't choke ;)
Some unkind people probably wish he would. ;D ::)  - or just shut the fcuk up for a whileen.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on July 28, 2013, 05:46:01 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on July 28, 2013, 04:57:04 PM

Mind you don't choke ;)
Some unkind people probably wish he would. ;D ::)  - or just shut the fcuk up for a whileen.

The truth is tough to swallow. Chew on that.

Syferus

Quote from: larryin89 on July 28, 2013, 04:14:35 PM

Oh and seeing as you asked for it before, Mayo EW's Ted Webb team:

I can post up the others if the rest of the Connacht counties want to see their teams too.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: mon_fan66 on July 28, 2013, 01:01:52 PM
monaghan v tipp in longford  :o :o  as a stand alone game  with many monaghan supporters workin over the border or to facilitate the non holiday there ... cant see why this wasnt thrown in before the monaghan senior fixture on the sat  but kerry again get the croke fixture along with their senior team  ????  well seein minors dont have any importance when an all ireland 1/4 final will resemble a club game from a supporter numbers point of view

Its better to play these quarter finals away from almost empty Croke park and thats what it will be for the Tyrone v Kerry game on Sunday. If Monaghan and others are good enough they will reach the semi final and get their run out in Croke park.

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 28, 2013, 08:05:07 PM
Quote from: mon_fan66 on July 28, 2013, 01:01:52 PM
monaghan v tipp in longford  :o :o  as a stand alone game  with many monaghan supporters workin over the border or to facilitate the non holiday there ... cant see why this wasnt thrown in before the monaghan senior fixture on the sat  but kerry again get the croke fixture along with their senior team  ????  well seein minors dont have any importance when an all ireland 1/4 final will resemble a club game from a supporter numbers point of view

Its better to play these quarter finals away from almost empty Croke park and thats what it will be for the Tyrone v Kerry game on Sunday. If Monaghan and others are good enough they will reach the semi final and get their run out in Croke park.

Minors love getting to Croke Park. One team was robbed of that opportunity by the scheduling and Monaghan supporters have been forced to make a needless second journey on Monday.