crazy beliefs

Started by firestarter, July 12, 2013, 09:17:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firestarter

I was watching tv recently with a Catholic friend. When Tom cruise appeared he made a comment about Cruises 'crazy beliefs'. When i asked him how they were any more or less crazy in believing in a magical man who lived thousands of years ago who could walk on water & who rose from the dead he had no real answer other than it must be less insane because more people believe it...

ballinaman

Meath will beat Dublin on Sunday.

laoislad

Another thread about religion...brilliant.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

All of a Sludden

Quote from: ballinaman on July 12, 2013, 09:29:47 AM
Meath will beat Dublin on Sunday.

And Mayo will win the All Ireland.  ::)

Walking on water doesn't seem that far fetched after all.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

J70

It's a fair point abour the beliefs themselves. However, the problems with scientology go way beyond that, although I suppose the scientologist could at least point to the catholic church's enabling and cover ups of paedophilia.

bennydorano

Believing in Alien life is ridiculed when it's pretty much a statistical certainty.

armaghniac

QuoteBelieving in Alien life is ridiculed when it's pretty much a statistical certainty.

As are alternative universes in which Mayo dominate and Kerry are trying to win their first AI for 60 years, and were the Orange Order is a moderate peaceful organisation.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

That technology will save the climate.

deiseach

Quote from: bennydorano on July 12, 2013, 12:04:47 PM
Believing in Alien life is ridiculed when it's pretty much a statistical certainty.

Life is one thing. Intelligent life? That's another story. Cue gags about the lack of it on Earth...

bennydorano

Still a certainty IMO. The size of the Universe and number of planets is hard to grasp. The way Religion is embraced & the possibility of  'Aliens' ridiculed is a joke.

armaghniac

It is one thing to believe there are aliens, another to believe that you've met one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

HiMucker

Quote from: bennydorano on July 12, 2013, 12:53:10 PM
Still a certainty IMO. The size of the Universe and number of planets is hard to grasp. The way Religion is embraced & the possibility of  'Aliens' ridiculed is a joke.
Have to say Benny, I would have been of the same opinion as yourself.  However, after watching one of  Brian Cox wonders of the solar system episodes, it hit home how many unique variables in play that all have to happen at the one time to create a planet that can support and sustain life. Size of the star, age of the star, size of the planet, mass of the planet, shape etc etc etc.  He concluded that it could just as likely that we are alone in the universe.  Still think there is life out there, but it did take the wind out of my X files sail!

red hander

That the Irish News will can Marie Louise McCrory's Friday column

The Iceman

Quote from: firestarter on July 12, 2013, 09:17:19 AM
I was watching tv recently with a Catholic friend. When Tom cruise appeared he made a comment about Cruises 'crazy beliefs'. When i asked him how they were any more or less crazy in believing in a magical man who lived thousands of years ago who could walk on water & who rose from the dead he had no real answer other than it must be less insane because more people believe it...
What do you mean by Catholic?
Understands Church teaching, fully catechized, goes to Mass the odd weekend? Or do you both use the term loosely Like calling a man who eats spinach a vegetarian and asking him all about the Vegetarian lifestyle....?
More misrepresentation and more attacks on Religion. You boys should have been out burning bonfires last night with statues on them......
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

gallsman

Quote from: The Iceman on July 12, 2013, 05:07:53 PM
Quote from: firestarter on July 12, 2013, 09:17:19 AM
What do you mean by Catholic?
Understands Church teaching, fully catechized, goes to Mass the odd weekend? Or do you both use the term loosely Like calling a man who eats spinach a vegetarian and asking him all about the Vegetarian lifestyle....?
More misrepresentation and more attacks on Religion. You boys should have been out burning bonfires last night with statues on them......

Where's the misrepresentation? You ask what he defines as Catholic, so you don't know what he's "misrepresenting" in the first place. Your insistence on being offended by any criticism of any form of organised religion (even ignoring the rank hypocrisy you've displayed over the years) is beyond boring at this stage.