Big Days Out [Day trips, not nuptials]

Started by Syferus, July 11, 2013, 05:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Given the weather that's in it I've tuned up the Syf-mobile and I'm hitting off for Achill Islam (Island?) on Saturday.

First time to venture so obscenely deep into enemy territory but I figure the Sun should make the locals agreeable enough.

Anyways - where are peoples' favourite locations for a day trip?

ziggy90

f**king hell I thought this thread was about weddings. :P
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Syferus

I stop off for a cuppa in Achill and the first thing I see? A bunch of sheep wandering accross the road baaing at me.

Fecking racists.

ziggysego

Achill's a lovely island, but I'd much rather have Clare Island.
Testing Accessibility

spuds

Head back past Keel and follow the road back to Keem bay, one of the tidiest little sandy beaches you will find. Lovely views of it along the cliff road on approach. Nice walk up the hill behind the beach up to viewing tower, if feeling energetic follow the cliff edge back towards Achill head and the old bothy houses. Loop back the other side of the raised valley and come back to beach carpark passing by that auld bollix Boycott's ruined residence. All in a wee bit of heaven in this weather.
On way back stop off in Gielty's pub along the road for a pint of Guinness and seafood chowder, sitting outside looking south down to far distant mountains and sea views.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Syferus

Quote from: spuds on July 13, 2013, 01:18:12 PM
Head back past Keel and follow the road back to Keem bay, one of the tidiest little sandy beaches you will find. Lovely views of it along the cliff road on approach. Nice walk up the hill behind the beach up to viewing tower, if feeling energetic follow the cliff edge back towards Achill head and the old bothy houses. Loop back the other side of the raised valley and come back to beach carpark passing by that auld bollix Boycott's ruined residence. All in a wee bit of heaven in this weather.
On way back stop off in Gielty's pub along the road for a pint of Guinness and seafood chowder, sitting outside looking south down to far distant mountains and sea views.

The winding, cliff-edged road to Dingle always stuck with me, as did the views of the Blaskets and the Atlantic when you reached Slea Head. I think the lead up to Keem beach and the views over-looking the beach, Clare Island and the North Atlantic are even better:

It was a brilliant climax to the drive along the island - we took the long way around and managed to stop off at all five Blue Star beaches on Achill - and as rewarding an end-point as you'd find anywhere in the world.

We got to the deserted village too:

Dugort beach:

Graunille's castle in Kildavnet:

The tombstone of a priest who served in Kildavnet church from 1847 to 1867, over-looking Achill Sound:

The sea cliffs near Dooega, taken from Knockmore mountain:

Looking across Achill Sound at Corraun on the mainland:

Some of the wild rhubarb (stop laughing, Rossfan) very literally over-running Achill:

...and the best for last - Achill-henge:

I didn't make it to the viewing tower in Keem but there's always the next time!

All in all it was a fantastic day out, the day started off a little muggy but it quickly turned the corner and by the time we'd reached Keel it a spectacular day. 99 Flakes on the beach by the Atlantic, sea breeze, mountains, friendly sheep, Sun, Keem, wonderful.

Seeing the Welcome to Roscommon sign miles before I hit Ballagh made me smile, though 8)

spuds

Fair play Syphilis you covered a lot of ground, them pics look good on the old phone here. That walk I mentioned earlier we did in winter with the rain clouds gathering as we marched forth....was spectacular if a little rushed with the rain coming in off the Atlantic. Would be a good challenge to photograph the landscape along that walk as the ground is sloping every way.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Feckitt

Was going to take the childer to the aZoo at the weekend, but was thinking of a plan B in case of bad weather.  Can anyone think of anywhere indoors in County Dublin you could  take primary school age kids for a good day out?  Not Croke Park Museum.

Under Lights

Went to the Tayto Park in Asbourne in August. Was brilliant. Imagine it would be very weather dependant also.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Feckitt on November 06, 2013, 12:13:37 PM
Was going to take the childer to the aZoo at the weekend, but was thinking of a plan B in case of bad weather.  Can anyone think of anywhere indoors in County Dublin you could  take primary school age kids for a good day out?  Not Croke Park Museum.

The dead zoo is supposed to be good.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Canalman

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 06, 2013, 03:26:38 PM

Sadly it is not imo. Hadn't changed a bit (except you can't go everywhere now ) since when I went there as a kid. Plenty of dead insects etc with most of the museum out of bounds. Very disappointed.

National Aquatic Center said to be very good.

Feckitt

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 06, 2013, 03:26:38 PM

Ah now, I can hardly say to the kids, 'I'm not taking you to see the Giraffes and Elephants, but I'll take you to see some dead animals and a few insects'

Any other ideas?

gerrykeegan

Zoo doing a promotion for November, 5 euro per person, book tickts online enter facebook in the voucher code. It will save you a nice few bob.

2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)