Kerry v Cork, Fitzgerald Stadium, Killarney, 7th of July 2013, MSFC Final

Started by CorkMan, July 01, 2013, 04:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

well that leave likely Donegal v mayo and Dublin v kerry, thought it had say on a dub forum they be lined up to meet Donegal in a semi

Captain Obvious

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 07, 2013, 05:48:28 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 07, 2013, 05:12:44 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 07, 2013, 05:02:38 PM
You are probably right! Still Mayo have beaten both Cork and Dublin in recent years so where does that leave them?

More expectations on the shoulders of the Mayo players against sides that will be seeking revenge against them.

Must try harder

On what? Mayo hadn't much expectations when they faced Dublin,Cork in 2011,2012 that won't be the case if they were to face them this year and Dublin,Cork will be seeking revenge for those defeats.

Zulu

Quote from: Syferus on July 07, 2013, 05:50:06 PM
Quote from: Zulu on July 07, 2013, 05:44:43 PM
So if you accept Cork have the better forward line where are Mayo so superior that a game between them wouldn't be 50/50?

Coaching, midfield, defence and attacking backs. Nevermind just the HBs - Caffreky and Higgins are very good going forward too.

Cork are a team on a down-swing, Mayo one on an up-swing. The momentum would be very much with Mayo in that match-up.

You haven't a clue about the relative coaching set ups, nor do I or anyone else here so please stop talking rubbish. Defensively Cork are very strong, even if it didn't look like that today. Shields, Cadogan, Kissane and O'Leary would push hard for a place on many teams, as would Calahane. Walsh, O'Neill etc. would compete with any midfield in Ireland. I'd readily accept Mayo could beat Cork were they to meet this year but to say it wouldn't be 50/50 is patently nonsense.

Zulu

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 07, 2013, 05:50:26 PM
Mayo got a way better team than cork at the minute, as for Cork making the semi i am not so sure, Donegal and dublin will be on one side with likely kerry and mayo in the other (Havent really checked the draw format but its the way i think it go)

No they don't. Mayo and Cork are in the 2-6 group that includes Kerry, Donegal and Tyrone. Dublin are top of the pile at one in my opinion but there is little between the others s far as I can see.

Hardy

Phoney war. Pointless game. Neither side cares who wins, never mind the rest of us. Simply an opportunity to experiment for both sides and to try and kid each other for when/if they meet in a knockout game. (And, having said all that, I still think the qualifier system is the best worst option we have.)

The one good point about it was realising again the value of watching with the sound muted on Canning and that ... pause, take deep breath ... Carney, so that I could hear the sound from the other room where her indoors was watching the tennis.

Zulu

A bizarre opinion, you reckon a provincial final between 2 of the top 6 or 7 teams in the country was a pointless game but it's still the best competition structure? We really are up against it in the GAA so. Logic kicked out the window.

emmetryan

Hi guys,

My tactical analysis on what was a really great job by Eamonn Fitzmaurice up here
http://action81.com/blog/?p=7412

Emmet
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

HiMucker

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 07, 2013, 04:47:48 PM
Cork now play one of the round three winners. Whos going to beat them Derry,Tyrone or Armagh? i don't think any of them will. Quarter final against Dublin,Donegal would end Corks championship however if paired with Mayo it would be 50/50 game.
mayo would tank them.

Hardy

Quote from: Zulu on July 07, 2013, 06:33:43 PM
A bizarre opinion, you reckon a provincial final between 2 of the top 6 or 7 teams in the country was a pointless game but it's still the best competition structure? We really are up against it in the GAA so. Logic kicked out the window.

You should try not to be so extreme. There's nothing inconsistent, never mind bizarre in what I think. The fact that there are endless pages of discussion here on the championship structure ought to provide an indication that no structure is perfect. They all have their drawbacks. Even the one you favour, believe it or not.

The current one (the best available at the moment in my opinion, for now) has the drawback that it produces games like this where neither side values a provincial title (relatively speaking) and, should they lose out in the All-Ireland series, will hardly remember they won the Munster title. Do you seriously think today's game had the intensity of all-or-nothing championship conflict? Both sides would value far above the provincial title any insight the game provided on their own or the opposition's tactics, team setup, etc. that might be useful when the real competition starts.

The same wouldn't apply to a Tipperary or a Roscommon in a provincial final, or indeed to Meath next week, when a win would be significant as an indication of the state of the team's development. If they did win, though, you can be sure there would be no victory cavalcade in Navan on Monday night.

Don't worry, you and the GAA. Logic survives.

Zulu

QuoteThey all have their drawbacks. Even the one you favour, believe it or not.

A point I've made in many of my posts on the championship structure, believe it or not.

QuoteThe current one (the best available at the moment in my opinion, for now)

Why now but not, as your post suggests, in the future?

QuoteDo you seriously think today's game had the intensity of all-or-nothing championship conflict?

No, but generally speaking nothing will match the intensity of an all or nothing match besides an all or nothing match.

QuoteBoth sides would value far above the provincial title any insight the game provided on their own or the opposition's tactics, team setup, etc. that might be useful when the real competition starts.

Not true at all, this was a big game for both teams.

QuoteDon't worry, you and the GAA. Logic survives.

Not in this sentence it doesn't. And you still haven't explained why this daft competition structure is the best, now or at any other time.

Rossfan

Quote from: Hardy on July 07, 2013, 06:23:53 PM
The one good point about it was realising again the value of watching with the sound muted on Canning and that ... pause, take deep breath ... Carney,.
Carney was "executing" all round him as usual but today's really new in word was "venomous"
And to think they had Maloney just doing the half time stuff.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hardy

Quote from: Rossfan on July 07, 2013, 07:43:55 PM
The one good point about it was realising again the value of watching with the sound muted on Canning and that ... pause, take deep breath ... Carney,.
Carney was "executing" all round him as usual but today's really new in word was "venomous"
Quote from: Rossfan on July 07, 2013, 07:43:55 PM
Quote from: Zulu on July 07, 2013, 07:14:18 PM
QuoteThey all have their drawbacks. Even the one you favour, believe it or not.

A point I've made in many of my posts on the championship structure, believe it or not.

QuoteThe current one (the best available at the moment in my opinion, for now)

Why now but not, as your post suggests, in the future?

QuoteDo you seriously think today's game had the intensity of all-or-nothing championship conflict?

No, but generally speaking nothing will match the intensity of an all or nothing match besides an all or nothing match.

QuoteBoth sides would value far above the provincial title any insight the game provided on their own or the opposition's tactics, team setup, etc. that might be useful when the real competition starts.

Not true at all, this was a big game for both teams.

QuoteDon't worry, you and the GAA. Logic survives.

Not in this sentence it doesn't. And you still haven't explained why this daft competition structure is the best, now or at any other time.

If you care enough about why I think that, I promise to try to get around to it at some stage.

For now, I said "for now" above because my opinion could change - for instance if somebody comes up with (what I think is) a better one.

Zulu

So no opinion of you're own on the structure of the GAA season other than this one's grand? Good to know you care.

Hardy

Why do you assume I don't have an opinion "other than" one you assume I have?
What's wrong with my opinion, in your opinion?
What opinion do you think I should have?
Why does it matter to you?
Why are you giving out to me?

INDIANA

Quote from: Zulu on July 07, 2013, 08:10:48 PM
So no opinion of you're own on the structure of the GAA season other than this one's grand? Good to know you care.

what structure would improve it though. I'm fundamentally opposed to having 32 counties in the championship but I'm in the minority.

I actually think the hurling has the structure right and why football thinks a similar structure is beyond them is the height of arrogance.