Cavan vs Fermangh....Again

Started by bottom brick, July 01, 2013, 10:40:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 13, 2013, 08:05:12 PM
Sean Quigley and a Cavan man (missed the name) sent off as a result of that brawl.

Edit. Just heard it was Anthony Forde (selector) sent off from Cavan.

Anthony doesn't normally get too caught up in a match along the line. Coolness personified usually.

Itchy

From the Bunker

Well done Cavan! Looking forward to seeing them against a big side.

Syferus

Impressive stuff by Cavan; this is their most meaningful victory of the year. A do-able draw on Monday would mean the Cabin boys might yet see Croke Park.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on July 13, 2013, 10:53:31 PM
Impressive stuff by Cavan; this is their most meaningful victory of the year. A do-able draw on Monday would mean the Cabin boys might yet see Croke Park.

Was Armagh not a more meaningful victory?

jodyb

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 13, 2013, 10:57:33 PM

Nah, Armagh were a shadow of the team they've been since that day

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 13, 2013, 10:57:33 PM

I think beating the same county (one you lost to in the league this year, no less) for the second time in the championship is harder to explain away than being Armagh, who themselves aren't much ahead of Fermanagh, and certainly not based on their performance that day. To win the rubber match so to speak was a big sign that Cavan are making tangible progress, but to do it after missing a golden opportunity to make a provincial final (look at what the same did to Leitrim today) makes it even better.

Really good for Cavan to be getting this many championship games in the system.

FermGael

That was brutal. Completely outplayed by cavan who should have won by more. We have went backwards over the past couple of months and the Westneath game masked the decline. Only one game plan tonight and when it was not working we just stuck to. Playing 2 sweepers when we were 6 points down was ridiculous. Peter your time may be up. You are just not worth the expenses. You game plan was sussed from the start, you team selection was questionable and your substitutions were far to late.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

T Fearon

Has Shane mc Cabe been sent off more times playing senior soccer or GAA now?

mylestheslasher

A suprisingly easy victory for Cavan yesterday. The game was almost a copy of the last day with the only difference being Cavan lorded the midfield area with Thomas Corr making a big difference in there and with Givney & Damian Reilly contesting well and Mackey and flanagan(s) picking up all the breaks. Fermanagh again looked clueless going forward getting turned over time and time again with great cavan tackling. Up front Keating was winning ball and linking up well. The Cavan goal was due to a magnificent ball from Mackey to Dunne who made no mistake. However it was discipline that won this game for Cavan. Fermanagh again, just like in the last 2 games, resorted to filth. Their tackling was ridiculous, pulling jerseys and then then jumping up and down when the ref penalised them. They again targeted Mackey with Quigley thumping him as they left the pitch at half time. On the other hand Cavan kept there composure on the field apart from Martin Reilly, already on a yellow, doing a silly body check off the ball and also getting his marching orders. Cavan really should have made better use of their numerical advantage but amazingly Fermanagh put all 13 players behind the ball with 15 mins left and 8 points in it so Cavan still had a mass defense to deal with. That said our decision making was poor in this period and we really need to learn to go for the jugular when it is there for us. Terry Hyland has the measure of Canavan and indeed you have to ask what is it exactly that Canavan is bringing to Fermanagh. Total indiscipline is all I see for his efforts. Hyland on the other hand has some incredible midas touch. Cavan are in bonus territory at the moment and I don't really mind who we get in the next round although I'd like to avoid Armagh just for a change. So daft is this draw that Cavan could conceivably play Fermanagh, Armagh and Monaghan twice in the championship if the draw went that way.

Syferus

A yet more closed 'open' draw is even worse. You cant guard against all these eventualities so to try to is a road few want to go down. Chin up, it isn't going to change.

ExiledGael

Some nonsense talked on here. Myles, the first half of that post is spot on but you lost it a bit thereafter.
Hyland has midas touch and Canavan has only brought indiscipline to Fermanagh? Any chance of perspective?
Fermanagh are in a much better place than they were after the John O'Neill era - trounced by Derry and London.
As far as I can see Fermanagh and Cavan set up fairly similar with Cavan having the benefit of having better players - simple as that. Fermanagh don't have a forward in the class of Eugene Keating or a finisher like Dunne. Nor do they have a quality link man like Mackey who can do it all in both halves of the pitch. It's incredible how deep he actually plays, very like Mark McHugh.
Cavan weren't sweetness and light either on Saturday, they took every opportunity they could to slabber in Quigley's ear (chb especially) and it probably worked, though to call that a thump on Mackey is stretching it.
Michael Duffy was absolutely shocking by the way. If i didn't know better i'd have said he was biased.
After moving every Cavan free forward (correctly) for delaying the freetaker or obstruction a Cavan player then lay on ball when a free was given against him. When Fermanagh player tried to drag him off the ball he overturned the free, handed the ball to the Cavan player and, as usual, brought the ball 10 yards forward for Cavan leaving it a tapover. Duffy did everything bar actually tap the f**king thing over himself.
Fermanagh did lose the head, gave away a number of silly frees and McCabe can't complain about second yellow but to be honest I can't complain about the team's discipline because I had totally lost the head even watching that excuse for a referee. Denied a clear penalty on Quigley just before the break too when he blazed over as he was being dragged back.
For all that, Cavan have beaten us in three SFC games in just over a year. They are a better team with better players, end of story.

Itchy

Exiledgael. The incident you refer to was a good call. Yes Cavan man lay on the ball but the Fermanagh player did not try to get the ball off him but instead jumped on him with two knees into the back. Duffy did not overturn the free, he threw up the ball. During the throw up Fermanagh player got the Cavan man in a headlock - free Cavan. Then for mouthing the ball was brought forward. He is a poor ref bit was spot on in this incident. If your players had some manners you would have got the first free.

ExiledGael

He did not jump on him with two knees.
Fermanagh player then won that throw up but was holding player off with other arm, it was another very soft call that went the way of the home team, as did dozens on the day.
That Fermanagh team have not been involved in anything like a dirty game all year except the other time we were in Breffni Park in the League.
The only other game I've seen this year in Breffni was Monaghan Cavan in NFL and that was even worse, four or five off I can't remember exactly.

ExiledGael

Good assessment of ref on another thread from neutral fan:

BTW - the referee Duffy was diabolical. He completely destroyed the game from start to finish - never saw worse at an inter-county game. Sent off 3 players & booked dozens in a game that hardly saw a decent hit apart from a half-time spat of handbagging. Blew the whistle far too often for petty things and missed the big calls.
We have said it before but something must be done about the standard of refereeing or the stands will be empty.