Scrap the qualifiers now and play Dublin v Donegal and winners are the champions

Started by orangeman, July 01, 2013, 09:18:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

What about saving us all a lot of time,money, good diesel and hassle and play a series of 3 matches involving Dublin and Donegal ?

Best out of 3 wins the all Ireland.

Forget about the rest.

LeoMc

Mayo should be given the chance to beat one of them before choking in the final.
Kerry should be given the other semi-final spot. Apparently they always used to get a bye to that stage anyway.

NAG1

Quote from: orangeman on July 01, 2013, 09:18:17 AM
What about saving us all a lot of time,money, good diesel and hassle and play a series of 3 matches involving Dublin and Donegal ?

Best out of 3 wins the all Ireland.

Forget about the rest.

Such a contradiction in terms coming from an Armagh man  ;) Couldnt concentrate on anything else you said after this!  :D

ballinaman

orangeman

Quote from: LeoMc on July 01, 2013, 09:19:30 AM
Mayo should be given the chance to beat one of them before choking in the final.
Kerry should be given the other semi-final spot. Apparently they always used to get a bye to that stage anyway.

Fair enough.

As last year's runners up they deserve a chance.

If anybody shapes at accusing anyone of biting and doesn't offer any evidence, it's an automatic €50,000 fine to be donated to grassroots GAA members for diesel vouchers for next year's qualifiers.

PAULD123

On a serious point I was just thinking about your "best out of three comment this morning", although for a final - NO, and I think even you were only joking.

The championship is very drawn out and footballers regularly say they would like a fixed program of matches and would prefer to play more games over the summer. In addition this home/away out the hat sort of draw is unfair. So how about some of the earlier matches being home & away like  the cups in soccer? Would aggregate score difference over two matches really be that bad? Perhaps it would counteract this current swamp of negative football in matches?

tyronebhoy

Home and away games.  I don't think many Offally fans or players would fancy a trip up to Omagh this weekend.

AZOffaly

1 'L'. Jaysus it's bad enough you come down and maul us, but please show some sort of respect. It's O-f-f-a-l-y.

Jinxy

No disrespect to Donegal people but I'd love to see Dublin beat them out the gate just to put that sourpuss Martin McHugh back in his bosca.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Bingo

Quote from: Jinxy on July 01, 2013, 01:35:02 PM
No disrespect to Donegal people but I'd love to see Dublin beat them out the gate just to put that sourpuss Martin McHugh back in his bosca.

As soon as the whistle went on Saturday, in his commentary, he was talking about how Monaghan always beat Donegal in the championship.

J70

It's amazing how perception changes with perspective. In listening to McHugh on Highland for years, he has always appeared extremely realistic and probably overly critical and harsh in his judgements of the Donegal team. And he is right  here - it is 30.years since we beat Monaghan. We have lost our last four meetings. Of course, that doesnt mean much, or shouldnt, for this game.

On the other hand, I've heard him say numerous times that Armagh traditionally fear us (post 99 excepted!). What was this based on? Yes we beat then in 90 and 93, but Armagh put us out of the championship probably five times in the 80s!!

Jinxy

In terms of analysis/co-commentary, he is the GAA equivalent of Ray Houghton.

rosnarun

Quote from: Jinxy on July 01, 2013, 02:03:27 PM
In terms of analysis/co-commentary, he is the GAA equivalent of Ray Houghton.
im presuming you mean that as a bad thing coz mchugh is a bollix, not sure about the scottish fella is like
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Jinxy

screenexile

Quote from: J70 on July 01, 2013, 02:01:53 PM
It's amazing how perception changes with perspective. In listening to McHugh on Highland for years, he has always appeared extremely realistic and probably overly critical and harsh in his judgements of the Donegal team. And he is right  here - it is 30.years since we beat Monaghan. We have lost our last four meetings. Of course, that doesnt mean much, or shouldnt, for this game.

On the other hand, I've heard him say numerous times that Armagh traditionally fear us (post 99 excepted!). What was this based on? Yes we beat then in 90 and 93, but Armagh put us out of the championship probably five times in the 80s!!

His hatred of anything remotely got to do with Derry means that he isn't a particularly popular boy round these parts!!