Dublin vs Meath - Leinster Final

Started by Jinxy, June 30, 2013, 11:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 21, 2014, 04:51:14 PM
Quote from: Zulu on July 21, 2014, 04:35:01 PM
You're probably right Dinny but I'd question any committee that isn't supporting it's underage development as best they can. Yes, it might be 10 years before you see a benefit at senior level and even then it's not guaranteed but surely that's what every club must try to do anyway? Producing county players may not float every club committees boat but if your producing high quality county players then you have very high quality club players.

We've probably talked this one out but if I was involved in a club in Kildare I would be seeking to maximise the potential of the kids we have by trying to produce better quality coaches. If it can be done cheaply all the better but if it needs funding the I would be looking to generate that money if at all possible. You have as much time with players from 6 to 14 as they have as adult players 22-30 for many. If you have a technically well developed good in game decision maker at 14 then it will be fairly easy to get a good quality senior.

I venture into GAA coaching next year as I'm going to take on my daughter's u7 team. I will be picking your brains :)  My own philosophy is for under-age is skills development and will be staying away from competitive games as much as possible.
competitive games are okay for that age as long as winning isn't the be all and end all

Ohtoohtobe

Quote from: Syferus on July 21, 2014, 04:08:29 PM
Quote from: Zulu on July 21, 2014, 04:02:44 PM
QuoteFair enough, but even the fact their doing it at all indicates even the powers that be realise there's a montery imbalance that's effecting the games.

But I'm not suggesting money isn't a factor, it certainly is, just that there are things you can do when you don't have huge amounts of money.

Totally agree with that point, sure look what we've managed to do with marshy pitches and a few pennies.

I agree too, but only to a point. Roscommon are getting better underage results than the vast majority of counties but all the resourcefulness and intelligence in the world won't compete in the long run with an organisation that is being run with the same professionalism as a provincial rugby team. You only need to look at this year's All-Ireland U21 final for evidence of that, one of the best teams you've ever sent out couldn't compete.

Syferus

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on July 22, 2014, 12:51:18 AM
Quote from: Syferus on July 21, 2014, 04:08:29 PM
Quote from: Zulu on July 21, 2014, 04:02:44 PM
QuoteFair enough, but even the fact their doing it at all indicates even the powers that be realise there's a montery imbalance that's effecting the games.

But I'm not suggesting money isn't a factor, it certainly is, just that there are things you can do when you don't have huge amounts of money.

Totally agree with that point, sure look what we've managed to do with marshy pitches and a few pennies.

I agree too, but only to a point. Roscommon are getting better underage results than the vast majority of counties but all the resourcefulness and intelligence in the world won't compete in the long run with an organisation that is being run with the same professionalism as a provincial rugby team. You only need to look at this year's All-Ireland U21 final for evidence of that, one of the best teams you've ever sent out couldn't compete.

To be fair we led them with around 12 minutes to go in the 2012 final and that was probably a more limited one that we had in 2014. Of all the games that one doesn't tell much about Dublin's money or lack of it. Sure the same Dublin team should have been beaten by Cavan a few weeks earlier. We weren't set up right that day and gave ourselves no chance of winning it. It certainly wasn't a performance that was indicative of what that team did against other talented teams the whole rest of the season.

Dublin are beatable at underage, it's senior where the chasm is starting to grow to an alarming level.

Ohtoohtobe

People pick out the Cavan game or the Longford loss last year but the much more prevalent trend is Dublin destroying the majority of teams at minor, U21 and senior. Might catch them out in the odd bad year at minor, even less at U21.
Put it this way I'd predict they'll average at least 3 out of 5 Leinsters at minor, at least 4 out of 5 at U21, and five out of five in senior. All-Irelands are tougher because there'll always be an exceptional team or two knocking about but I think they'll win one out of every three at the very least at minor and U21 for the foreseeable.

Ohtoohtobe

As for this year's U21 final, you'd know better than me how Roscommon should set up, but I'd suggest a game where you trail 1-17 to 0-1 after just over half an hour is not a game that was lost on the sideline. It's a game where there's a hell of a chasm between the two teams.

Dinny Breen

Apologies for the large image but simply staggering statistics...
#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

Eh, Brian Meade came on as a sub with about 15-20 min left.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Zulu

It also includes Reilly's contribution doesn't it?

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on July 22, 2014, 03:05:39 PM
Eh, Brian Meade came on as a sub with about 15-20 min left.
He only has 4 possessions ? Would that include the football boots ?

Jinxy

Quote from: Zulu on July 22, 2014, 03:08:16 PM
It also includes Reilly's contribution doesn't it?

Who, 'B. Reilly'?
Whoever compiled this could have made it a bit clearer.

Dinny Breen

Head to Head was MDMA (59mins) and combined B Meade (26) & G Reilly (31) MDMA top Player intensity index for Champ14
#newbridgeornowhere

Syferus

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on July 22, 2014, 06:35:32 AM
As for this year's U21 final, you'd know better than me how Roscommon should set up, but I'd suggest a game where you trail 1-17 to 0-1 after just over half an hour is not a game that was lost on the sideline. It's a game where there's a hell of a chasm between the two teams.

When the same team struggled to beat a Cavan team with less attacking talent it is. Half an excellent Dublin performance (all three FFs were incredible) and half an inept tactical game-plan and team performance.

Jinxy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 22, 2014, 03:14:28 PM
Head to Head was MDMA (59mins) and combined B Meade (26) & G Reilly (31) MDMA top Player intensity index for Champ14

Is this the new thing is it?

Dinny Breen

Aye, player KPIs, the playstation generation need to know how they performing. MDMA will be looking to exceed those figures in his next game thus driving his own standards.
#newbridgeornowhere

thejuice

Maybe Jerry Kiernan is training Dublin now?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016