Dublin vs Meath - Leinster Final

Started by Jinxy, June 30, 2013, 11:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J OGorman

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on July 21, 2014, 12:48:48 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 21, 2014, 12:26:38 PM
Well that was depressing.
Dublin are a physical and footballing machine that I genuinely can't see us competing with in the short to medium-term future.
Watching our subs coming on in the 2nd half brought this home to me.
Too small, too light, not good enough.
There is a conveyor built of two-footed, lightning fast, physically powerful young players bursting themselves to play for Dublin.
That's down to both the clubs and the county providing the right coaching and support from a very young age.
It's no accident.
As a county, we need to adapt to the new reality at ALL levels of the game or we will simply continue to die a slow death.

I feel your pain, felt the exact same way coming out of Croker last year - like yesterday, I expected a 10-point gap after a fight, like yesterday, it was 16 points in a canter, and like yesterday, it should have been 25. Absolutely mind-boggling the amount of work and money it would take Meath to catch up. Then I would have Kildare a little behind Meath. And if it's tough for Kildare and Meath, with just shy of 200,000 people each and football the dominant sport, what advice can anyone give Offaly or Laois or any of the other Leinster counties?

I've read the "blue wave" (for some reason that title sickens me) strategic plan and it brings home the reality that other Leinster counties are light years behind when you look at the figures, in terms of money and population, involved. Unless the other Leinster counties figure out how to raise the cash and volunteers and motivation it will be a fair few years before the Delaney Cup leaves Dublin.

how many CB's will bust themselves trying?!

Ohtoohtobe

It certainly isn't all about money but it also would be much more difficult to implement such a well-thought out and comprehensive plan without cash. Dublin's own strategic plan makes the point several times about how vital money is. But yes no matter how well set-up you are it still takes hard work to produce a stream of players such as Costello, Kilkenny, O'Callaghan, etc. It's not just money and it's not just coaching and it's not just administration. It's a combination of everything and Dublin are getting it all pretty much spot on.
Anyway I don't begrudge them it. But I do hope to see the same in other counties soon because the way it's going Leinster football from minor to senior is becoming a non-event. You can point to Longford U21s last year or Kildare minors last year but these victories are only notable because they're becoming so rare.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Zulu on July 21, 2014, 01:09:29 PM
I'm not sure money is the biggest factor though. Undoubtedly finance plays a big part but it costs very little to coach twenty 8 year olds properly, you can do a huge amount with a set of cones, bibs and 20 first touch footballs. There's also a huge amount of free and affordable information out there which can be easily accessed on the internet. As Indiana mentioned, in the past it wasn't unusual for good footballers to be unable to use their weaker foot for much of anything but that's all changed. Money isn't the reason a kid can't use both feet, both hands, step off both sides etc., that's down to coaching.

Dublin have an advantage in numbers and that is a great help but we saw in the world cup that Brazil, with huge numbers couldn't produce many top class players. Indeed, Dublin's numbers also bring challenges and I see no reason why counties like Meath and Kildare with big populations, a football tradition and passion for the game can't strongly challenge Dublin.

Focus on the kids, develop players comfortable on the ball, technically proficient in all aspects of the game with an ability to make on field decisions. All this can be done for a relatively small investment and will bear fruit.

Dublin have full-time games promotion officers/coaches with their clubs, part of their remit would be to coach coaches, do you think these guys are doing it for free? I've seen the figure of 50 of these coaches floating around, probably doing 30 hours a week, 9 months of they year, €10 an hour. So 500K a year investment, that to me in any language is not a small investment.

#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

We haven't really had a natural athlete/footballer since Graham Geraghty.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Dont Matter

'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

GalwayBayBoy

I'm not sure money is the biggest factor though. Undoubtedly finance plays a big part but it costs very little to coach twenty 8 year olds properly, you can do a huge amount with a set of cones, bibs and 20 first touch footballs

You need a lot more than a few cones and a yard of grass. Coaching and people's time costs money. Half decent facilities costs money. Yes organisation is important but money greases the wheels and gets everything moving faster.

J70

Syferus

Quote from: J70 on July 21, 2014, 02:39:06 PM
Quote from: Dont Matter on July 21, 2014, 02:32:38 PM

How do those figures break down per player, club, coach etc?

Mostly it's to fund Parnells' wage bill.

Zulu

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 21, 2014, 02:22:18 PM
I'm not sure money is the biggest factor though. Undoubtedly finance plays a big part but it costs very little to coach twenty 8 year olds properly, you can do a huge amount with a set of cones, bibs and 20 first touch footballs. There's also a huge amount of free and affordable information out there which can be easily accessed on the internet. As Indiana mentioned, in the past it wasn't unusual for good footballers to be unable to use their weaker foot for much of anything but that's all changed. Money isn't the reason a kid can't use both feet, both hands, step off both sides etc., that's down to coaching.

Dublin have an advantage in numbers and that is a great help but we saw in the world cup that Brazil, with huge numbers couldn't produce many top class players. Indeed, Dublin's numbers also bring challenges and I see no reason why counties like Meath and Kildare with big populations, a football tradition and passion for the game can't strongly challenge Dublin.

Focus on the kids, develop players comfortable on the ball, technically proficient in all aspects of the game with an ability to make on field decisions. All this can be done for a relatively small investment and will bear fruit.

Dublin have full-time games promotion officers/coaches with their clubs, part of their remit would be to coach coaches, do you think these guys are doing it for free? I've seen the figure of 50 of these coaches floating around, probably doing 30 hours a week, 9 months of they year, €10 an hour. So 500K a year investment, that to me in any language is not a small investment.

But you don't necessarily need that. There's a coaching pathway there for anybody whose interested, if clubs identified coaches with talent and some enthusiasm these guys could coach the coaches within their own clubs.

The majority of the work the paid coaches in Dublin do is in schools and as Indiana pointed out the clubs pay for at least 50% of this. Could the clubs of Kildare not all put €5,000 each into a coaching pot and ask CP to match that? I think there's around 50 clubs in Kildare so that would be €500,000 to employ 15 + fulltime coaches who could go into schools and help run club blitzes etc.

Zulu

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 21, 2014, 02:38:33 PM
I'm not sure money is the biggest factor though. Undoubtedly finance plays a big part but it costs very little to coach twenty 8 year olds properly, you can do a huge amount with a set of cones, bibs and 20 first touch footballs

You need a lot more than a few cones and a yard of grass. Coaching and people's time costs money. Half decent facilities costs money. Yes organisation is important but money greases the wheels and gets everything moving faster.

Of course you need more than a few cones but the idea that you can't develop good young players through good volunteer coaching and basic equipment and a field is a complete cop out. €1,000 would go a long way to pay for the equipment you'd need to coach any group to a very high standard. The point I'm making is if every club in a county got their act together then you could make big improvements without massive investment.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Zulu on July 21, 2014, 02:48:27 PM

But you don't necessarily need that. There's a coaching pathway there for anybody whose interested, if clubs identified coaches with talent and some enthusiasm these guys could coach the coaches within their own clubs.

The majority of the work the paid coaches in Dublin do is in schools and as Indiana pointed out the clubs pay for at least 50% of this. Could the clubs of Kildare not all put €5,000 each into a coaching pot and ask CP to match that? I think there's around 50 clubs in Kildare so that would be €500,000 to employ 15 + fulltime coaches who could go into schools and help run club blitzes etc.

That's assuming clubs have a spare €5,000 lying about. Mine certainly doesn't. They are in debt. A lot of clubs live week to week financially.

Syferus

Quote from: Zulu on July 21, 2014, 02:54:29 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 21, 2014, 02:38:33 PM

Of course you need more than a few cones but the idea that you can't develop good young players through good volunteer coaching and basic equipment and a field is a complete cop out. €1,000 would go a long way to pay for the equipment you'd need to coach any group to a very high standard. The point I'm making is if every club in a county got their act together then you could make big improvements without massive investment.

Every county isn't Roscommon.

INDIANA

Clubs fund 50 percent do it's as much a club investment.

It's time people started presenting the facts about Dublin clubs. All clubs in Dublin fundraise using the same methods as clubs in West cork. But the media have spoon fed the public a tissue of lies to suit their own agenda. You think families in Dublin aren't in negative equity ? Dublin clubs don't get free handouts from the county board . If only you saw the fees clubs have to pay our county board it's no wonder they have so much bloody money.

Money the clubs never see.

armaghniac

Quote from: Syferus on July 21, 2014, 03:00:15 PM
Every county isn't Roscommon.

Even all of Roscommon isn't Roscommon.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Zulu on July 21, 2014, 02:48:27 PM

Dublin clubs are a lot better resourced than the clubs in Kildare, Kildare clubs already pay a levy for Hawkfield our centre of excellence, our CB finances are a direct result of trying to keep up with Dublin and the building of Hawkfield, incidentally Dublin are having their COE built for them. It's hard enough to get volunteers but you expect to clubs to get coaches to give up more of their free time and coach coaches. Amateur sport in Ireland has become resource intensive and it's very hard to get people to give up their time. Goals have to be realistic and what you are saying is not realistic for you average club and unless you are a super-club it's pretty much unsustainable in the long term without structured financial support.
#newbridgeornowhere