Mayo v London Sunday July 21st, 2013 Connacht Final

Started by From the Bunker, June 30, 2013, 05:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Are you nuts??? Moran was on a young English lad (no offence intended) but he was fairly quite considering he was being marked by an inexperienced footballer.

Captain Obvious

One of the worst ever provincial finals surely Connacht can do better than that? Cavan should clock up a good score against London now.

Wildweasel74

The mayo corner back way overcarried b4 been brought down for that penalty

Chimley

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 21, 2013, 09:59:01 PM
The mayo corner back way overcarried b4 been brought down for that penalty

It wouldn't qualify as a turning point to be fair though.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: INDIANA on July 21, 2013, 08:12:48 PM
Mayo beat a team they never going to lose to.

Move on. Wouldn't give Mayo a hard time over it. Hard to keep going in that type of  a game.

Lucky they didn;t get a few injuries. Some of the London lads were lucky not to get the line.

There was nothing good or bad to take from that game for Mayo.

Sums it all up Indiana. With the greatest respect to London, this was just a box to be ticked for Mayo. Nothing good could have a happened, but a bad injury would have been a disaster. Forget about it and move on.

ross matt

Move on. Wouldn't give Mayo a hard time over it. Hard to keep going in that type of  a game.

Lucky they didn;t get a few injuries. Some of the London lads were lucky not to get the line.

+1. Sums it up. Too much over analysis on Newstalk post match commentary about Mayo having alot to worry about after this performance. It was a match they just had to get over with and they did.

INDIANA

Quote from: ross matt on July 21, 2013, 10:42:37 PM

+1. Sums it up. Too much over analysis on Newstalk post match commentary about Mayo having alot to worry about after this performance. It was a match they just had to get over with and they did.

It didn't show up anything they didn't know they might have to worry about. Wouldn't surprise me if Horan used it as a training week.
I really like the setup of Mayo this year and I expect them to make the all-ireland final.

Syferus

Few Roscommon men looked as annoyed at Mayo's victory as Andy:

I guess the old Ros blood was acting up  :'(

Put on my best Ballagh rhubarb accent to take the picture. All that time in Nathy's wasn't pointless. I escaped unharmed, thankfully.

ross matt

Quote from: INDIANA on July 21, 2013, 10:45:04 PM

It didn't show up anything they didn't know they might have to worry about. Wouldn't surprise me if Horan used it as a training week.
I really like the setup of Mayo this year and I expect them to make the all-ireland final.

My thoughts exactly Indiana. I know Horan acted like he was "mad as hell" with his team's performance but I reckon Mayo trained hard non stop right up to yesterday and they chopped and changed lineout before and during the match today. Like you I'm really impressed with Mayo this season and today's mis match doesn't alter my view.

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: ross matt on July 21, 2013, 11:30:57 PM

My thoughts exactly Indiana. I know Horan acted like he was "mad as hell" with his team's performance but I reckon Mayo trained hard non stop right up to yesterday and they chopped and changed lineout before and during the match today. Like you I'm really impressed with Mayo this season and today's mis match doesn't alter my view.

This was a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" game for Mayo.....it wont live long in the memory, but it has to be remembered that this is our first three in row since 49,50,51. That in itself is something to be celebrated.

As for the game its self, why in god's name would Mayo show their hand in this game? London were always going to be beaten, our backs were caught out a few times and some of our final pass and shot selection was poor, but the match was still won at a canter.

All winter we were hearing that Mayo wouldn't or couldn't score a goal, yesterday we got 5 and now we cant get enough points........
Mayo won Connacht by something like 42 points......Connacht championship is shite........yet Galway beat Armagh and Roscommon rattle Tyrone..............

Listening to Mid-West and Newstalk after the game, Mayo may as well not bother going to Croke Park with all the "problems" the team have......................Horan wouldn't wouldn't have it any other way.......

Nobody injured and some game time for the lads coming back, some good hard and illegal hits from London, all dealt with...........

Its done, time to move to game 4.

Crete Boom

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on July 22, 2013, 09:45:28 AM

This was a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" game for Mayo.....it wont live long in the memory, but it has to be remembered that this is our first three in row since 49,50,51. That in itself is something to be celebrated.

As for the game its self, why in god's name would Mayo show their hand in this game? London were always going to be beaten, our backs were caught out a few times and some of our final pass and shot selection was poor, but the match was still won at a canter.

All winter we were hearing that Mayo wouldn't or couldn't score a goal, yesterday we got 5 and now we cant get enough points........
Mayo won Connacht by something like 42 points......Connacht championship is shite........yet Galway beat Armagh and Roscommon rattle Tyrone..............

Listening to Mid-West and Newstalk after the game, Mayo may as well not bother going to Croke Park with all the "problems" the team have......................Horan wouldn't wouldn't have it any other way.......

Nobody injured and some game time for the lads coming back, some good hard and illegal hits from London, all dealt with...........

Actually it's our first three in a row of Nestor Cups since 1948 49 50 because we achieved a four in a row in 1951 as well as back to back All Ireland titles but apart from that slight mistake it's spot on analysis as usual from yourself An Gaeilgoir

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: Crete Boom on July 22, 2013, 10:18:59 AM
Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on July 22, 2013, 09:45:28 AM

Actually it's our first three in a row of Nestor Cups since 1948 49 50 because we achieved a four in a row in 1951 as well as back to back All Ireland titles but apart from that slight mistake it's spot on analysis as usual from yourself An Gaeilgoir

Thanks for the clarification Crete Boom, i remember when we wouldn't win Connacht for years, teams badly prepared and some players getting "special" treatment, and here we are unbeaten in Connacht since Horan took over, unbelievably well trained and drilled teams, improving all the time, learning from mistakes, 3 in a row in the bag and it doesn't even get mentioned..............

We are indeed spoiled..............

Finally, Padraig Brogan had to be the coolest Mother-F&*@er at yesterdays game, the black suit, ponytail and shades, Vincent Vega was in the half-penny place!

magpie seanie

Mayo were poor against us this time last year and performed well from that point. I expect the same to be the case this year.

Feckitt

The famous Jimmy Burke drop goal from 1989 was mentioned in the programme yesterday as a youtube sensation, but it seems it is no longer on youtube.   Does anyone have a link?

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: Feckitt on July 22, 2013, 11:27:13 AM
The famous Jimmy Burke drop goal from 1989 was mentioned in the programme yesterday as a youtube sensation, but it seems it is no longer on youtube.   Does anyone have a link?

Was only a young lad at that game, will never forget it................great memories!!

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8911%3Aten-monents-in-time&Itemid=51&limitstart=1