Mayo v London Sunday July 21st, 2013 Connacht Final

Started by From the Bunker, June 30, 2013, 05:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Seriously dangerous near the end of the game. London lads were flaking all around them. Referee turned a blind eye to so much. Mayo lads were clearly afraid of being dragged into getting a straight red or injured. Tough to do do when you are up against lads with nothing to lose!

bucko

Qwerty28

Bookies got the spread bang on, cost me a few quid!  ::)

Hardy

Quote from: Qwerty28 on July 21, 2013, 04:51:01 PM

I can't believe I did something so stupid as to back Mayo in a scoring test.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Hardy on July 21, 2013, 04:55:21 PM

Silly You!  ;D

emmetryan

writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

joemamas

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 21, 2013, 04:40:04 PM
Seriously dangerous near the end of the game. London lads were flaking all around them. Referee turned a blind eye to so much. Mayo lads were clearly afraid of being dragged into getting a straight red or injured. Tough to do do when you are up against lads with nothing to lose!
+1

The referee was a right p***k, had no balls, London's antics were that bad in the final 15-20 mins that I wanted Mayo to keep scoring and scoring.

A few observations and questions;
Andy Moran, worried that he is nowhere near as sharp as he needs to be. still very intelligent, but.
AOS what the F in go on inside his head, seemed clueless and even though his shooting is abysmal, he just keeps on shooting.
Is Barry Moran anywhere near match fitness, we will most likely need him before August is over.
I hope Conroy is not injured as I am not so sure about Coen.
What is deal with Varley, is he also hurt.

AMayoFan

Quote from: emmetryan on July 21, 2013, 06:12:47 PM
Hi guys,

Tactical take on today's game now up
http://action81.com/blog/?p=7475

Emmet

Great analysis and thanks Emmet. Your spot on as usual  :)

The hurried nature of their attack showed an inability on Mayo's part to match pace to intelligence, an issue which rarely troubles them against top class opposition.

From an Mayo supporter the hurry nature, or as I see it dreadful, and very much typicality Mayo forward play of past creeping straight back in!!! This is a huge backward step for Mayo!!  Can their shot taking improve? What will management put in place for plan b to get scores?

AMayoFan

For what it's worth, I really hope Mayo were working on Plan B.  If this is not the case, I believe we will have only one more match to look forward too.

ross4life

That game went along the expected lines & yet again Mayo showed how much they have improved from 2011 however it remains to be seen if these non-tests are good or bad for Mayo moving forward.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

AMayoFan

Quote from: ross4life on July 21, 2013, 07:12:10 PM
That game went along the expected lines & yet again Mayo showed how much they have improved from 2011 however it remains to be seen if these non-tests are good or bad for Mayo moving forward.

I almost agree with most of what you say, but do you not think Mayo have taken a backward step to old times on their shooting?  I'm really disappointed on that front. I know some shots were hurried, but don't expect they won't get much more time to take those chances come 5/6th August.

From the Bunker

A hard game for Mayo today. They were never going to get credit for what ever the score was. The disruption of so many  players coming in and positioning switches upset the balance.  Anyway no injuries (Conroy?) and no red cards. Many here have been losing the run of themselves as to where we are as AI contenders. Today put some perspective on that idea. Good to have that game over. It was a real dead rubber. Looking forward to the QF draw and hopefully getting Donegal.

yellowcard

Quote from: Hardy on July 21, 2013, 04:55:21 PM

Me too, anytime I back Mayo they seem to implode. Even when they win I lose.

INDIANA

Mayo beat a team they never going to lose to.

Move on. Wouldn't give Mayo a hard time over it. Hard to keep going in that type of  a game.

Lucky they didn;t get a few injuries. Some of the London lads were lucky not to get the line.

There was nothing good or bad to take from that game for Mayo.

Syferus

Quote from: joemamas on July 21, 2013, 06:49:21 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 21, 2013, 04:40:04 PM
+1

The referee was a right p***k, had no balls, London's antics were that bad in the final 15-20 mins that I wanted Mayo to keep scoring and scoring.

A few observations and questions;
Andy Moran, worried that he is nowhere near as sharp as he needs to be. still very intelligent, but.
AOS what the F in go on inside his head, seemed clueless and even though his shooting is abysmal, he just keeps on shooting.
Is Barry Moran anywhere near match fitness, we will most likely need him before August is over.
I hope Conroy is not injured as I am not so sure about Coen.
What is deal with Varley, is he also hurt.

Haven't a clue what you were watching but Andy looked very sharp and set up loads of points and goals. Probably Mayo's most influential forward.

AO'S had a couple wild shots - he's a midfielder and that is part-and-parcel of every midfielder who has played the game, they all think they can score points for 50 metres out - but he was exceptional in general play and a genuine MotM contender for what that was worth today.