Mayo v London Sunday July 21st, 2013 Connacht Final

Started by From the Bunker, June 30, 2013, 05:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joemamas

Quote from: muppet on July 11, 2013, 07:33:17 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on July 11, 2013, 04:33:06 PM
Quote from: muppet on July 10, 2013, 03:14:15 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on July 10, 2013, 12:38:03 PM
hes harmless enough . not a complete nut as far as im aware  but just thinks hes a lot funnier that he actually is . his health is bad at the moment so maybe we should cut him some slack.
From an article a couple oif yers back i think he's actually a soccer head remindsme a lot of Willie the shoe.
its the imitators im more wary of . ya hear that mexican wrestler chicken man!!( i know your here)

The Shoe was a Gaa man.
na castlebar celtic
only got into mayo when he started broadcasting.
any new on chris barret . usually starts when fully fit . not sure where he'd go now?
cunniffe CHB Barret back in ther corner? esp if vaghan doesn't make it

I played for both before there was local radio.

He was a Gaaman.

He managed Mitchels Juniors beck then.

Have to say I had a lot of time for "The shoe".  Nice guy, went way too early

muppet

Quote from: joemamas on July 11, 2013, 08:21:11 PM
Quote from: muppet on July 11, 2013, 07:33:17 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on July 11, 2013, 04:33:06 PM
Quote from: muppet on July 10, 2013, 03:14:15 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on July 10, 2013, 12:38:03 PM
hes harmless enough . not a complete nut as far as im aware  but just thinks hes a lot funnier that he actually is . his health is bad at the moment so maybe we should cut him some slack.
From an article a couple oif yers back i think he's actually a soccer head remindsme a lot of Willie the shoe.
its the imitators im more wary of . ya hear that mexican wrestler chicken man!!( i know your here)

The Shoe was a Gaa man.
na castlebar celtic
only got into mayo when he started broadcasting.
any new on chris barret . usually starts when fully fit . not sure where he'd go now?
cunniffe CHB Barret back in ther corner? esp if vaghan doesn't make it

I played for both before there was local radio.

He was a Gaaman.

He managed Mitchels Juniors beck then.

Have to say I had a lot of time for "The shoe".  Nice guy, went way too early

In fact he was involved to some degree with the Mayo U-21s. Probably around 1990 when Brian McDonald had them.
MWWSI 2017

rosnarun

it was from interviews  he did i always heard him say his 1st love was soccer and always thought he was trying far to hard to be a character just like our St Patrick
though i aways loved the way he'd slip from the parochial to the national to the international without topping for breath even if little of what he said made sense

but well leave the last words to himself seems he was an all rounder rest of it is sad reading now as he was in remission at the time of writing .
From http://www.castlebar.ie/board/0302/48360.htm

'About Willie the Shoe'

Hi Folks,

My name is Willie 'the shoe' McNeely. For many years now, especially in Mayo and in the West of Ireland, I have been know as Willie the shoe. I was born and reared in 67 McHale Road in the heart of Castlebar in Mayo. I am the eldest of a family of seven, born in 1955. Literally across from our front door is the main gate of McHale Park Football ground. This hallowed turf was my boyhood playground where countless hours were spent playing football with all the lads from the road. It was here, I suppose, that my passion for sport was first nurtured. It is a passion that burns as strong as ever within my soul.
I played for the local football club, Castlebar Mitchells at all grades from underage to senior I also played on the Mayo Vocational Schools team. Captained the Mayo and Connaught Youth Soccer team, was on the Castlebar Racketball team that won the first County and Connaught finals in this sport. I played rugby with both Castlebar and Bective Rangers. I also played a lot of squash in my time as well. So you can see I was always active in sport.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

muppet

He was a gas man, and manager.

In a Junior Championship match, where we threw away a lead late on to draw (against Islandeady in Westport - or maybe the other way round) there was extra time to be played. We weren't supposed to leave the field but the bold Willie ordered us into the dressing room and told the ref it was to 'bollock the shite out of them'. When he arrived to join us, the door was closed so he kicked it in. It landed on the hapless corner forward, who when he complained, Willie told him he was 'even more shite than the rest of them, and you're not going back on for extra-time!'.
MWWSI 2017

larryin89

Re Willie the shoe. He must of been a great character , never met him but the year or the year after his passing , i was travelling on the train to a game in McHale park. This random started chatting away to me, he was a journo from the then Cork Examiner , he was looking forward to the press box for one reason only and that was because of the craic he had with this character called 'willie the shoe'' . I had to tell him the sad news  and i got the aul fella to drop him to his hotel when we landed at Castlebar, he was saddened for sure.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

armaghniac

The Leitrim game today does not give encouragement for the entertainment value of the Connacht final.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

From the Bunker

Quote from: armaghniac on July 14, 2013, 12:16:11 AM
The Leitrim game today does not give encouragement for the entertainment value of the Connacht final.

The odds with the Bookies have well sign posted this sentiment. Mayo are 1/500! I have never seen odds like this for a inter-county Provincial final. Heard an interview with Paul Goggins on Newstalk today. Jez it was cringe-worthy stuff. Question after Question of how London were going to deal with getting hammered before, during and after the game. Fair dues to Paul he bit his tongue and talked of London being a work in progress. A small (very small i must say) part of me almost wished they beat Mayo next Sunday!

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 14, 2013, 12:25:40 AM

The odds with the Bookies have well sign posted this sentiment. Mayo are 1/500! I have never seen odds like this for a inter-county Provincial final. Heard an interview with Paul Goggins on Newstalk today. Jez it was cringe-worthy stuff. Question after Question of how London were going to deal with getting hammered before, during and after the game. Fair dues to Paul he bit his tongue and talked of London being a work in progress. A small (very small i must say) part of me almost wished they beat Mayo next Sunday!

Planning to get losing a big final out of the way early this year, eh? I suppose you have to try different things at this stage..  :)

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on July 14, 2013, 12:42:03 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 14, 2013, 12:25:40 AM

Planning to get losing a big final out of the way early this year, eh? I suppose you have to try different things at this stage..  :)

I know for smaller teams like your own Syf the Connacht final is a 'Big' final. But to us it is only a stepping stone to the real 'Big' final.  ;)

armaghniac

QuoteI know for smaller teams like your own Syf the Connacht final is a 'Big' final. But to us it is only a stepping stone to the real 'Big' final

Mayo need to go further though, and realise that the 'Big' final should be a stepping stone to bringing home the casket!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

From the Bunker

Quote from: armaghniac on July 14, 2013, 12:47:23 PM
QuoteI know for smaller teams like your own Syf the Connacht final is a 'Big' final. But to us it is only a stepping stone to the real 'Big' final

Mayo need to go further though, and realise that the 'Big' final should be a stepping stone to bringing home the casket!

+1

whitey

Quote from: muppet on July 12, 2013, 01:06:13 PM

In a Junior Championship match, where we threw away a lead late on to draw (against Islandeady in Westport - or maybe the other way round) there was extra time to be played. We weren't supposed to leave the field but the bold Willie ordered us into the dressing room and told the ref it was to 'bollock the shite out of them'. When he arrived to join us, the door was closed so he kicked it in. It landed on the hapless corner forward, who when he complained, Willie told him he was 'even more shite than the rest of them, and you're not going back on for extra-time!'.

LOL...wasnt there another time he left a brand new set of jerseys in a pub back in Westport such was the shame he felt his charges had brought upon the. This was back in the 80s when money was tight and I remember there was a huge uproar at the time. 

muppet

Quote from: whitey on July 15, 2013, 01:57:25 AM
Quote from: muppet on July 12, 2013, 01:06:13 PM

LOL...wasnt there another time he left a brand new set of jerseys in a pub back in Westport such was the shame he felt his charges had brought upon the. This was back in the 80s when money was tight and I remember there was a huge uproar at the time.

I had forgotten that.

I think the Ryder Cup was on and it was the day where Christy hit the famous 2-iron. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHlaZW9hXd4 The football was forgotten for a while which might explain the jerseys.
MWWSI 2017

Tubberman

Have any of ye heard a rumour that Keith Higgins could be out?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Syferus

Quote from: Tubberman on July 15, 2013, 02:05:54 PM
Have any of ye heard a rumour that Keith Higgins could be out?

What are they saying has happened to him? Mayo seem to be having no luck with injuries at all.