Ulster Final Donegal V Monaghan

Started by J70, June 30, 2013, 05:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenny

Quote from: Main Street on July 21, 2013, 10:45:58 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 21, 2013, 10:12:39 PM
Quote from: Main Street on July 21, 2013, 10:01:00 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 21, 2013, 06:32:03 PM
Have to say that it felt good to see Donegal come a cropper. They play a horrible brand of football and over indulge in the dark arts of the game.
I don't know what dark arts you're referring to, afaic Donegal are in the top standard of the traditional, sporting opponents. The last 3 championship games we have had against them were a welcome few steps above the usual Ulster cynical content.
Congrats chief. Thoroughly deserved victory.  A good man at the helm getting the best out of some excellent talent.
I thought donegal would go further this year before faltering.

Would like to see Monaghan keep up this standard and see how far they get.
Would be afraid that they still yet don't fully believe.

Could be a handy run again to AI final for mayo while the rest knock lumps off each other getting there.
Not sure if donegal can regroup in time. Laois have savage talent and momentum.
Dubs looking better than ever but cynical tactics and referees could thwart them!
Thanks Lynchbhoy, the winning Ulster championship feeling, feels very good indeed.
Agreed on Laois having a good chance, a team with a winning momentum in the qualifiers, against a top team who have just received a heavy shock to their system, is a great leveller. Even though it's hard to imagine Donegal being so wasteful as they were today with the opportunities they will surely get next week.

Donegal have been poor for most of this year. They have 4 or 5 key players who are fundamental to their system. McHugh is one and he went off injured early. Lacey isn't anywhere near being fit. Neil Gallagher isn't fully fit either. McFadden had a rare off day and Murphy was marked out of it. If murphy and mcfadden don't click who is going to get their scores? I think it will be hard for them v Laois and with them being in last chance saloon now I can see them starting without Lacey and McHugh who will struggle in time.

ross matt

Congrats to Monaghon. Displayed an exceptionally high work rate, a massive hunger, a high level of confidence and belief plus great composure and skill on the ball. Deserving winners.

I really didn't see this coming. Agree with the poster who said Donegal's myth of invincibility is now gone. Relegated in the league and well beaten in the provincial final.

However does Jim have a longterm plan that he's sticking rigidly to regardless of interm results? Certainly after the league relegation he clearly pointed to that.

Was their physical lethargy and lack of shooting sharpness today evidence of a side with a longterm AI goal who didnt interrupt their training schedule in order to peak for today's game? Perhaps there was some complacency within their ranks in the sense that maybe they though they could just about get over the line without having to specifically tailor their preparation to the Ulster Final ?

I mean no disrespect to Monaghon but Donegal looked heavy legged, off the pace and lacked sharpness. A team that trained heavily on Friday or a team that have naturally gone off the boil and lacked the hunger that comes before winning an AI ?

Time will tell. I wouldnt write off Jim or his players just yet.

ONeill

Delighted for Monaghan. Glad to see Finlay get a medal.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

J70

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 21, 2013, 10:34:14 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on July 21, 2013, 10:31:06 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on July 21, 2013, 10:13:10 PM
Very happy tonight! Great performance today and well deserved, especially for those players who have been there for the last decade. Still hard to believe it has happened. Here's hoping there's another win or two this year!

Congrats Maguire, delighted for yous!!
Cheers!

Second that.

Hope you and Main Street and the other Monaghan boys enjoy it!

Jinxy

Quote from: trileacman on July 21, 2013, 07:45:32 PM
Thinking of the great Monaghan servants not on the starting 15 (or squad) today. Gary Mc Quaid, Clerkin, tommy freeman, damian freeman, JP Mone, Rory Woods, Hanratty and others.

I was actually thinking with 5 minutes to go that it was an awful pity we didn't get to see Rory Woods trundle onto the field so he could trot around randomly dunting lads with the game already won.
Would he still be fit for intercounty football?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

lawnseed

Quote from: lawnseed on July 21, 2013, 12:41:56 PM
i'm sticking with monaghan for this one. they have a good manager for a change. a lot of good footballers. theyre a wee bit rumbly as a team but if or when they click they'll blitz Donegal. I thought Donegal looked a little jaded in their last couple of games imo. it will be a 'real meat grinder' from the word go. clerkin to get the line after 10mins on the pitch if hes lucky

Great stuff. Dick didnt get red... Tommy got a run and scored.. Good result and jap has yet to start playing.. Donegal are wrecked and will be vunerable next week :-o
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

orangeman

Brilliant performance today by Monaghan winning a minr and senior double.

Donegal looked heavy legged and maybe were training for the end of August ?

But no matter. Great credit to Monaghan and it's great to see the Monaghan lads getting a medal.

It will be interesting to see how Donegal bounce back from this.

Schkite

Quote from: Jinxy on July 21, 2013, 11:46:50 PM
Thinking of the great Monaghan servants not on the starting 15 (or squad) today. Gary Mc Quaid, Clerkin, tommy freeman, damian freeman, JP Mone, Rory Woods, Hanratty and others.

I was actually thinking with 5 minutes to go that it was an awful pity we didn't get to see Rory Woods trundle onto the field so he could trot around randomly dunting lads with the game already won.
Would he still be fit for intercounty football?

Woods usually only got into his stride in late July/early August, when he would roll out MOTM performances for sport. Only problem was Monaghan were usually out by that stage! Maybe we can fly him back for a cameo in Croker next month, although going by the video that was posted here before, he seems happy enough where he is!
http://vimeo.com/70528145

Jinxy

If ever a man was built for Gaelic Park!  ;D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: orangeman on July 21, 2013, 11:56:35 PM
Donegal looked heavy legged and maybe were training for the end of August ?

More like peaking for May 26th in Mac Cumhaill Park, then the end of August! ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

Woods needed an oul blow on the ventolin
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

trileacman

Quote from: INDIANA on July 21, 2013, 08:26:08 PM
Quote from: trileacman on July 21, 2013, 07:54:59 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on July 21, 2013, 07:47:37 PM

tommy freeman scored

dick clerkin played

::) Learn to read dipshit.

I have what squad were freeman and clerkin not on?

Where they on the starting 15?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

charlie linkbox

Right, I've had a few but this is my analysis on todays events.......... YYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Over the Bar

High intensity training in the unusual heat we've experienced over the past 3 weeks was probably Donegal's downfall.  Impossible to stick that and be fresh for a game.

gwan-ye-boy-ya

And the cherry on the cake ( Recipe written in fermanagh and baked in clones ) was thomas freeman.IMO monaghans greatest ever marksman. only on two mins and gets a score. turns, smiles, thumps the air.