DUP: Champions of a shared future

Started by Jeepers Creepers, June 27, 2013, 05:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Count 10

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 02, 2013, 03:47:22 PM
Quote from: Count 10 on July 02, 2013, 02:43:04 PM
Integrated education has been around in N.I. from the early 1980's and the main opponents were and still remain the main Christian churches. In theory it sounds like a great idea but in practice not really....young people still get their opinions on most things from their parents. As long as both communities still mistrust each other then it will not take over from the current schooling system (which has been successful IMHO).
Themuns still think we have horns in our heads, and we think their eyes are closer together! ;)
They are aren't they?

It's the cross eyed ones that get me ;)...never sure.

Maguire01

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 02, 2013, 03:46:23 PM
Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on July 02, 2013, 12:40:39 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on July 02, 2013, 12:33:55 PM
Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on July 02, 2013, 12:24:13 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on July 02, 2013, 11:40:50 AM
But parents like me want our children taught in schools with a catholic ethos.

This always strikes me as a strange one: given that the word ethos refers to the fundamentals/principles of something sure at it's most basic the ethos of all christian faiths is the same.

So would you be happy send your kids to a "Christian ethos" school or must it be a "Catholic ethos" school?

/Jim
No a Christian ethos is not quite the same, there are differences in faith and belief.

I know there are differences: Papal infallibility, transubtantiation, Virgin Mary etc.. but surely at an ethos* level they are the same?

Could you give me an example of something that would come through in a school's ethos that is unique to Catholicism (Other than specific doctrine classes) that you feel your kids would lack by being in a multi-denominational school?

/Jim.

*the fundamental character or spirit of a culture
There are differences of interpretation and emphasis which would impact on the teaching of religion, history, science (creationism for example).
What schools are teaching creationism in science!?

Count 10

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 02, 2013, 06:55:33 PM
Integrated education has been around in N.I. from the early 1980's and the main opponents were and still remain the main Christian churches. In theory it sounds like a great idea but in practice not really....young people still get their opinions on most things from their parents. As long as both communities still mistrust each other then it will not take over from the current schooling system (which has been successful IMHO).
Themuns still think we have horns in our heads, and we think their eyes are closer together! ;)
The bit in bold - no doubt a significant factor in shaping opinions. But if you're sat next to 'themmuns' every day, you might realise that your parents didn't have a clue what they were talking about. And then eventually, those pupils will be parents themselves...

And as for the current system being "successful", maybe in terms of the basic role of educating children (although segregated sectors has no doubt come at a higher cost), but in terms of the role of the school system in wider society, i'm not so sure...

From my own experience both my kids went to Integrated primary and my eldest to Secondary before it closed and they had a mixed group of friends, but as they headed into their teen years they drifted apart, basically because in our house it was gaelic, golf and rugby and in his protestant friends it was soccer, rugby and cricket and for some... bands and parading.
I find that when my son meets his protestant friends from school they are fine if on their own, but if they are with a group...it is head down and walk on....which I find very sad.
At the end of the day....for those of us that give blood...we give it to help others...irrespective of religion.
I often wish some of our elected representatives would adopt this notion.

Maguire01

Quote from: Count 10 on July 02, 2013, 07:07:26 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on July 02, 2013, 06:55:33 PM
The bit in bold - no doubt a significant factor in shaping opinions. But if you're sat next to 'themmuns' every day, you might realise that your parents didn't have a clue what they were talking about. And then eventually, those pupils will be parents themselves...

And as for the current system being "successful", maybe in terms of the basic role of educating children (although segregated sectors has no doubt come at a higher cost), but in terms of the role of the school system in wider society, i'm not so sure...

From my own experience both my kids went to Integrated primary and my eldest to Secondary before it closed and they had a mixed group of friends, but as they headed into their teen years they drifted apart, basically because in our house it was gaelic, golf and rugby and in his protestant friends it was soccer, rugby and cricket and for some... bands and parading.
I find that when my son meets his protestant friends from school they are fine if on their own, but if they are with a group...it is head down and walk on....which I find very sad.
At the end of the day....for those of us that give blood...we give it to help others...irrespective of religion.
I often wish some of our elected representatives would adopt this notio
n.
I've no idea what this means.

Count 10

It means too many vote/operate along tribal lines as opposed to the greater good for all the community.

dillinger

Not in any of the integrated schools that I know [2]. Nor will there ever be if some of the treatment meted out to ex-staff who tried to introduce gaa games is anything to go by.
[/quote]

It's played in my son's school. Also there is Irish lessons.

Haven't heard of any staff ex or present getting "treatment" as you say.

armaghniac

A Christian ethos would include concepts like "love thy neighbour". The DUP favour concepts like colonise your neighbour or  supress your neighbour.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Applesisapples

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 02, 2013, 06:59:14 PM

This always strikes me as a strange one: given that the word ethos refers to the fundamentals/principles of something sure at it's most basic the ethos of all christian faiths is the same.

So would you be happy send your kids to a "Christian ethos" school or must it be a "Catholic ethos" school?

/Jim
No a Christian ethos is not quite the same, there are differences in faith and belief.

I know there are differences: Papal infallibility, transubtantiation, Virgin Mary etc.. but surely at an ethos* level they are the same?

Could you give me an example of something that would come through in a school's ethos that is unique to Catholicism (Other than specific doctrine classes) that you feel your kids would lack by being in a multi-denominational school?

/Jim.

There are differences of interpretation and emphasis which would impact on the teaching of religion, history, science (creationism for example).
I dod not say there was, but explaining the differences between a Christian as opposed to Catholic ethos, there would be other differences as well.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Count 10 on July 02, 2013, 07:15:01 PM
It means too many vote/operate along tribal lines as opposed to the greater good for all the community.
Look it is like this, how do you reconcile nationalism and unionism within a nortern state(let). Simply you can and as such people have a right to vote irrespective of religion. I don't believe that religion comes into it for nationalists, you don't hear references to Republican Nationalist Catholic culture from the nationalist side. We are frequently told about PUL culture (Protestant, Unionist, Loyalist). The OO ses itself as a Protestant Cultural organisation.

Shamrock Shore

Maguire01

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 03, 2013, 11:03:27 AM

/Jim

/Jim.

I dod not say there was, but explaining the differences between a Christian as opposed to Catholic ethos, there would be other differences as well.
If no one is teaching creationism, then it's a red herring, simple as that. The schools teach the same curriculum.

Now, can you explain to me what this 'Catholic ethos' is, what it actually looks like?

Wildweasel74

Getting some tanking on BBC News now over red sky contracts, biased f**kers, talk about sectarian, spotlight BBC1 10.35 going to be interesting

michaelg

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 03, 2013, 07:31:28 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on July 03, 2013, 11:03:27 AM

/Jim

/Jim.

If no one is teaching creationism, then it's a red herring, simple as that. The schools teach the same curriculum.

Now, can you explain to me what this 'Catholic ethos' is, what it actually looks like?
A friend was telling me today that at the catholic maintained grammar school where she used to work, every lesson began with a prayer?  Is this the same at all catholic schools?

Wildweasel74

well that was the case at the school i went to in the late 80`s early 90`s, though male teachers didnt bother it was only the female ones

Wildweasel74

looks like the red sky dup buddy buddy relationship seriously has to be called into question