Is there a market for a GAA game like Subbuteo?

Started by Student Dissertation, June 25, 2013, 01:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Student Dissertation

Hi all,

I'm currently trying to gauge if there is a market for a GAA game like Subbuteo.

Considering the 'techno world' we live in today with all the computers, consoles etc. is the game/boardgame extinct?

I believe strongly that i have a great game, but unsure whether to go ahead with prototype.

Any views and opinions would be welcomed.

Thanks

Feckitt

I was reading recently that the woman who started the Discovering Ireland board game made real good money from it, and it still sells heavily to this day. She took her idea to all the big companies who turned her down, so she just made it herself.  Board games still sell, go into any toy shop and you will see loads.  There arent enough with an 'Irish angle', and if you get it right you could have a hit.  I don't think Subbuteo is the way to go though, but  Good luck!

Student Dissertation

Thanks Feckitt!

Subbuteo is the closest thing i can compare it to, this is much better though!  8)

Seriously though, i'd love to push forward with the game, but a little unsure about which direction to go

Dont Matter

How do you solo the ball? Or bounce it? How do you score points? Can the players start mouthing to their opponents? Can they bite them if they wish? Can they dive? Would it be more beneficial to have a blanket defence or should they put the foot back into football? Do you have hawkeye set up? Is the referee blind? Are foreign sports allowed on your pitch? Are resources spread evenly or does one team get 7 million? Do you really think this game is a good idea? Would you make a proper GAA computer game instead?
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

Student Dissertation

I would imagine the main issue around a computer game is the amount of investment it would take for a limited market.

I'm very confident the game provides excellent gameplay for all age groups whilst providing as near to real life as it can be.

From i was a small child, all i ever wanted was some sort of game to replicate the thrill of Gaelic Football.

I'm not saying i have something completely innovative, but as such there isn't anything on the market like it.

AZOffaly

How would a subbuteo type game work with GAA? The players would have to hold the ball as well? Be a hoor to count four flicks as well :) Or are you basically just talking about a Subbuteo soccer game with 15 players and county colours? What about point taking?

PAULD123

AZOffaly

He's talking about a subbuteo type game. Jaysus I loved subbuteo. I saw it in Argos last week and was nearly going to buy it.

Feckitt

You are asking the wrong people.  You need to be asking 10, 11 and 12 year olds what they think.  They are the people that will or won't be wanting this game.  Most of them I feel would laugh at Subbutteo, because lets face it, it's from the 70's!!!  Some sort of traditional board game could definitely work, but  i honestly don't think a play action type game like Subbutteo can compete with computer games.

Bord na Mona man

johnneycool

could you make a hurling version of table football I wonder?

Eamonnca1

As the man says there's plenty of room in the market for board games. Families play them all the time, they bring young and old together in a way that I don't think computer games can.

AZOffaly

Also the new games that have taken the place of Subbuteo are popular. And as I said Subbuteo itself is apparently making a roaring comeback.

I remember my Da made me a table for Subbuteo, and Santy brought me the world cup edition. Scoreboard, Grandstand and Floodlights and all. Da made the table so that I could permanently mount the scoreboard, lights and stand. Put up the boundary fences as well. A group of about 6 of us in the local street used to play once or twice a week, rotating venues. Every 6 weeks you'd host a round robin of games, 6 total I think it was. Brilliant times it was.

My venue, out in the garage, was the equivalent of Wembley. At one stage a couple of years later, I got the Astroturf pitch as a present. That upped the ante altogether. Now I had a real home town advantage :)

Donnellys Hollow

What about a Championship Manager type computer game?

- How many changes do you make to your dummy team released on Wednesday night?

- Do you enforce a drink ban during the O'Byrne Cup and risk a player revolt?

- Your star player's stag party is on this weekend in Kilkenny but you have scheduled a training camp and challenge match at Carton House, do you plough ahead with your plans and drop any player who goes on the stag?

- Joe McQuillan has been appointed as referee for your opening championship derby against your big rivals, do you tell Martin Breheny in the build up that he is the finest referee in Ireland or do wait until the match and send out your Maor Foirne to shout and scream at him?

- Joe Brolly criticises your tactics, do you boycott The Sunday Game in response?

- Can you persuade your county sponsors to take on five of your panel who have the sum total of 100 Leaving Cert points between them for the summer or do you risk losing them to America before the start of the qualifiers?

- The cash strapped County Board have been fined because you forgot to wear the hi-viz Bainisteoir bib, do you offer to forgo your 'renumeration' for a week in order to cover the fine or do you risk the wrath of the dinosaurs on the central executive?

- The ex-county star from yesteryear writing in the local newspaper has called for your resignation after your non-attendance at the SFL Division 4 relegation playoff, do you go on local radio telling the old fart to mind his own business and risk alienating the supporters who still worship him?

The possibilities are endless.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

AZOffaly

There actually was a 'hurling manager' type game released a few years ago on the PC. It had promise.