Armagh v Wicklow

Started by illdecide, June 20, 2013, 03:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: regal on June 26, 2013, 11:24:58 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 26, 2013, 11:10:34 PM
Quote from: ardchieftain on June 26, 2013, 11:02:16 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 26, 2013, 10:07:50 PM
The mind boggles that ye can't get David McKenna involved, he's probably be in the top five midfielders in Ulster if he was playing.

BCB might be best placed as to the reasons why he hasn't been involved in the county squad yet. I'd be amazed if he hasn't been asked to join the panel in the past. McKenna and Harold would be my ideal midfield pairing.

Did I hear something about him working in Belfast? Obviously a fair commitment to make (and one many do) but he's both a big unit and a good footballer. Wouldn't agree that he's too big for county football either, AOS was chunky a few years ago and still did a lot of damage and he hadn't half as much control as McKenna. He's by no means fast but neither is he immobile for a big, big lad. A good county level off-season fitness program is probably all he'd need to be nearing peak condition, it's hardly like he gets to take a half-hearted approach to training playing for a club like Cross.

We've had some very good players opt out of the county team in the past so I know it's hardly ever a clear-cut issue, you'd just love to see the best players in any county playing on their senior team.

When you're comparing David McKenna to Aidan O'Shea you need your head looked at

I highly doubt you've seen AOS mature from being a minor into the senior midfielder he is today. It's not been all strawberries and cream, that's for sure.

There's a lot of similarities between AOS and McKenna is terms of size (and use of that size), aerial ability and point scoring. Their biggest weakness is on the back foot, as with almost any big man. Almost any team in the country would kill for an interested McKenna.

DuffleKing

That's made me chuckle. McKenna has been involved with the county over the years. Without getting into the specifics or dissecting an amateur player, he's not county standard. That's why there's no debate around his availability. 

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: DuffleKing on June 27, 2013, 09:46:34 AM

That's made me chuckle. McKenna has been involved with the county over the years. Without getting into the specifics or dissecting an amateur player, he's not county standard. That's why there's no debate around his availability.

He hasn't actually been involved in it that much you'll find.  He made his debut in 2010 but since then has been mostly involved with the club. Prior to 2010 he was struggling with injury and even during that time he was playing through injuries. He only really came to form in the season that he was captain and didn't play with the county that year.  He is also only 23 which is relatively young for inter-county midfielders and in my view would be a better option that Lavery (more mobile and better footballer) and Harold (stronger under the high ball).  He has no real interest in the county though under the current set-up or the previous management.

GrandMasterFlash

I see from today's Irish News that Clarke and McKeever may have a bit of a dilemma around the next few qualifiers (the two lads have received a tempting offer from the Leitrim club in New York)

It's a tough one, amateur players (in a recessed economy) should be afforded the choice of doing what is best for them IMHO. I know that attitude may not sit well with some or many gaels but it's a fact of the modern world we live in.. democracy and all that..

regal

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 27, 2013, 10:17:19 AM

He hasn't actually been involved in it that much you'll find.  He made his debut in 2010 but since then has been mostly involved with the club. Prior to 2010 he was struggling with injury and even during that time he was playing through injuries. He only really came to form in the season that he was captain and didn't play with the county that year.  He is also only 23 which is relatively young for inter-county midfielders and in my view would be a better option that Lavery (more mobile and better footballer) and Harold (stronger under the high ball).  He has no real interest in the county though under the current set-up or the previous management.

He's no loss then really

armaghniac

QuoteI know that attitude may not sit well with some or many gaels but it's a fact of the modern world we live in.. democracy and all that..

It is one thing saying that the players should be free to come and go. However, why is the Leitrim club in New York allowed to play so many blow ins and create distortion on championships in Ireland, club and county? I'd prohibit blow-ins playing in the NY championship, while allowing them play in league/regular games. NY is like Kerry Packer in cricket.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Orior

Quote from: armaghniac on June 27, 2013, 12:57:47 PM
QuoteI know that attitude may not sit well with some or many gaels but it's a fact of the modern world we live in.. democracy and all that..

It is one thing saying that the players should be free to come and go. However, why is the Leitrim club in New York allowed to play so many blow ins and create distortion on championships in Ireland, club and county? I'd prohibit blow-ins playing in the NY championship, while allowing them play in league/regular games. NY is like Kerry Packer in cricket.

Agreed. And where do they get the money for such ventures?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Orior on June 27, 2013, 01:33:14 PM

Agreed. And where do they get the money for such ventures?

Generally from wealthy ex-pat business folk who are attached to the particular club. Cash at that as cheques/bank accounts etc. are not really an option for the blow-in..  ;)

GrandMasterFlash

Agreed, it's a bit of a farce alright. I thought you had to play in the league in the earlier part of the year to be eligible to play in the summer championships? I've a feeling you're allowed a certain number of 'blow-ins' in any given season though.

yellowcard

Quote from: AFS on June 27, 2013, 09:19:21 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 27, 2013, 10:17:19 AM

Nearly sure he's 25. Would be a pity if he never really extended himself at county level, his form the year or so past suggests that he might have something to offer. All well and good turning your nose up at management set ups but 25 (and 26 by next summer) isn't particularly young at county level any more, especially for a fella with his fair share of injury problems. He won't get many more opportunities to turn down.

It's always the case that you become a better player and are more coveted when you are off the squad. It's very true in McKennas case. Is he good enough for county level, it's hard to say I think. Whilst he remains off the panel for whatever reason suggests that he either hasn't the appetite for it or doesn't have faith in his ability to fight for and nail down a place.

supersub

Hasn't been picked, doesn't have the desire to play county football, doesn't want to play under the management and has a bad knee (as far as I am aware) - think Armagh are better off concentrating on what they have available.

Feckitt

Cannot find anywhere the prices for this game.  Are kids free into the stand or just the terrace?  How much for adults into the stand?  £12,£15,£20?  Is there any sort of game before the main match?

maddog

Is this televised at all or anyone know of any web links ?

Syferus

Quote from: Syferus on June 25, 2013, 03:46:11 PM
Wicklow aren't up to much, particularly outside Aughrim. I can see a 6+ coming for Armagh if they've got their shooting boots on.

Thanks you's in the mail, please.

omagh_gael

That is some scoring. Sam for Armagh?