Tyrone v Offaly

Started by tyroneman, June 18, 2013, 06:50:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norf Tyrone

True fans?

So people who are coaching at the U8 blitzes fixed for this Saturday morning, and therefore can't make it to Offaly, aren't true fans?

Careful now.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Fuzzman

Ahh Norf. Ye know what I mean. Only those wans that go to matches when they think we're gonna win something.

What's the mood like back home? Are people not expecting much from Tyrone this year now and would they be happy enough to get knocked out early or are people still hoping for a 1/4 final appearance at least. If we get that far I suppose we can expect to meet one of Donegal, Dublin, Cork/Kerry & Mayo as usual now.

nrico2006

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 26, 2013, 03:30:06 PM
Ahh Norf. Ye know what I mean. Only those wans that go to matches when they think we're gonna win something.

What's the mood like back home? Are people not expecting much from Tyrone this year now and would they be happy enough to get knocked out early or are people still hoping for a 1/4 final appearance at least. If we get that far I suppose we can expect to meet one of Donegal, Dublin, Cork/Kerry & Mayo as usual now.

The optimism is well sucked out of most people I would say, same old same old every year with half the squad getting injured.  We must have some brittle bone condition in our DNA as we seem to be the county that suffers most every season with the number of injuries we have. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

omagh_gael

Anyone got an idea of what the first 15 will be? Are there 15 senior players available?

Packie
McCrory
Justin (although he is an injury doubt)
McCarron
Clarke
Gormley
Joe (another injury doubt)
S Cavanagh
A Cassidy

C Cavanagh
P Harte
Mattie Donnelly
Mark Donnelly
McAliskey
Penrose

I would have Kyle Coney, although someone mentioned he is a major doubt at this time. McKenna and McNamee in with a shout if Justy or Joe don't make it.

Fuzzman

I expect both McMahons to be out injured so expect Clarke at FB
Probably McKenna at 5 & McNamee at 7 though maybe Mattie at 6 and Block at 7.

What other defenders have we left with Carlin injured & PJ gone.

I'd like to see both McAliskey & Ronan O'Neill start. Hopefully they and Coney can get a run in the team now for the weeks ahead, should we progress of course.

I'd like to see us revert to a non defensive system with no sweeper. What do ye think lads?

Redhand Santa

Its all gone a bit quiet since the Donegal game but thats not necessarily a bad thing. Will give the squad a bit of peace to get regrouped and ready for the qualifiers. Would expect the usual hard core Tyrone support who'd go to most NFL games to travel. Our numbers have definitely dropped away since the glory years. Its strange the way in the gaa just how fickle fans are especially after a bit of success. We uesd to criticise Kerry fans for only turning up for big games.  I've no doubt if we keep progressing through the championship that the numbers would increase.

I wouldn't be as negative as some people and would hope that if the injuries are properly managed we'll have the players back if we can progress through a few rounds. Obviously Morgan is gone for the season but other than that there is hope with the others. This Saturday is a great opportunity for some of the younger boys to get championship game under their belt and to prove their worth. I said in 2008 if we couldn't beat Louth we'd be safer out of it and I guess the same applies now.

I'd like to see Joe McMahon go to full back and Clarke out to half back. I'm not sure who should be corner backs. For the likes of Donegal who are physical Gormley is probably still the best option. Could McNamee play it? I know he's played a bit of football at full back. I'd like to see Colm Cavanagh and Cassidy midfield. Surely McNeice won't start?

everymanaman

Peter Harte will be in the defence on Saturday

omagh_gael

Has the televised game been announced yet?

ONeill

I think there's definitely a sense of realism in the county that we don't have the players (physically more than anything) to compete in late August.

Bord na Mona man- thanks for all that. I was hoping that it was going to be a 7pm job. The 3pm kicked the staying over into touch.

Do yis remember the Longford game a couple of years ago when Mickey made big changes after the Ulster Championship defeat. I wonder what his thinking will be now? Will he attempt to t**ker with players in terms of meeting a Donegal type team down the line?

Don't think there's enough time to do that.

I think the 2 Cavanaghs will patrol the middle. Could have a very young (small) FF line.

edit: Can't say t**ker? T I N Ker
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Syferus

Arrah lads, Tyrone still look a safe enough bet to make the last eight baring, of course, meeting the Ros (third time lucky and all that). Not really anyone but Kildare (or Dublin) in R2/3 that'd fancy their chances against ye and only the losers of Cork-Kerry would be entertaining much belief of beating ye in R4.

Radda bout yeee

I would love to see Tyrone win the AI this year but its not going to happen!

So perosnally a defeat to Offaly might be a good result at least we could get the club scene cleared up in time this year and let the club player get some football over the summer months instead of playing football in late Autumn.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Radda bout yeee on June 27, 2013, 01:41:54 PM
I would love to see Tyrone win the AI this year but its not going to happen!

So perosnally a defeat to Offaly might be a good result at least we could get the club scene cleared up in time this year and let the club player get some football over the summer months instead of playing football in late Autumn.

Sure what was the point in playing at all this year then? By that logic most club teams who realistically won't win their championship should also hope for first round defeat to get their league games played out earlier.

I do think the club season needs looked at and more regular games. We may have to accept more starred matches during the summer or an earlier start but it's also a positive for the game in the county if the county team do well.

Norf Tyrone

The abolition of the back door to me is the best route to giving Clubs a decent fixture calendar.

Only when I hear CBs arguing for the end of the back door system, will I think that Clubs are viewed on equal footing as Counties.

Not going to happen though!
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

God14

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on June 27, 2013, 03:40:47 PM
The abolition of the back door to me is the best route to giving Clubs a decent fixture calendar.

Only when I hear CBs arguing for the end of the back door system, will I think that Clubs are viewed on equal footing as Counties.

Not going to happen though!

Jeze, even though Tyrone have won two All Irelands through the back door system - id be absolutely delighted if they scrapped this farce now. It has completely ran its course. This years championship to date has been the dullest in living memory - pure muck for entertainment.
Upsets are now a rarity, attendances are down, the TV channels don't even want to cover one of these round 1 matches 'live' - all while the local club scene is decimated. The end result will in all likelihood be the 4 provincial champions arriving safely at the AI semi final stage anyhow.
Its dying a slow death. Croke Park need to take swift action to try and reignite it for 2014.

Bord na Mona man

McDonnell calls up hurling quartet

Offaly football manager Emmett McDonnell has drafted Shane Dooley, Conor Mahon, Dan Currams and Sean Ryan into his squad in the wake of the hurlers' exit from the All-Ireland race.

The quartet are all talented dual players, with Dooley - who won an Offaly SFC medal with Tullamore in 2007 - regarded as one of the top football forwards in the county. Ryan, Mahon and Currams have represented the senior footballers in the past and could be in line to feature against Tyrone in Saturday's All-Ireland SFC qualifier at O'Connor Park.

McDonnell has been forced to turn to the hurlers following the departures of Brian Connor, Johnny Moloney, Luke Kelly, Eoin Rigney and Michael Brazil to the US in recent weeks.