A Royal Hand To Set The Heather Blazing.......30ú Meitheamh, Páirc an Chrócaigh

Started by thejuice, June 17, 2013, 10:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Although perchance it may be our fate, to Wexford our hopes do die
Oh, bear my body to the pub wherin our fathers cry
And have the solemn service read, to Pairc Tailteanns holy towers
And have the young bar maids from Nobber, to fill my glass with Powers
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Farrandeelin

Imagine it took Meath until 1996 to overtake Wexford on the All-Ireland roll of honour...Bloody 4 in a row eh!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Jinxy

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

meathie

Just wanted to plug Meath event happening tomorrow night in Navan for any die hard fans you may know! 
MEATH ALL-IRELAND WINNING TEAM 1988
25 YEARS – ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION
Venue: The Spiegel Tent, Kennedy Place Navan 7pm Wednesday 19th June
MC for the night – Hector O hEochagain with Music by the Swingin' Blue Cats. Outdoor Gourmet BBQ and wine reception included in ticket price.
Tickets: €25
*On sale at the Solstice Arts Centre and Navan Town Council Offices.

thejuice

So which team to take on the Shelmaliers?

The Team that started last week:
P O'Rourke;
B Menton, K Reilly, D Keoghan;
C Lenihan, C King, M Burke;

B Meade, C Gillespie;

P Byrne, D Carroll, G Reilly;
E Wallace, S Bray, M Newman.

The team that finished:
P O'Rourke;
B Menton, K Reilly, D Keoghan;
P Harnan, C King, S Kenny;

B Meade, C Gillespie;

P Gilsenan, B Farrell, G Reilly;
E Wallace, S Bray, J Sheridan.

Hardy

My team would be:

P O'Rourke;
D Keoghan, B Menton, C King;
  P Harnan, K Reilly, S Kenny;

B Meade, C Gillespie;

P Byrne, S Bray, G Reilly;
E Wallace, J Sheridan, M Newman.

thejuice

Hardy

Quote from: thejuice on June 18, 2013, 05:11:02 PM
I see you are moving Kevin Reilly into a goal scoring position  ;)

Ha!

I think I'll move the full back line out a bit as well. A crowded defence doesn't suit a team of footballers.

P O'Rourke;

P Harnan, K Reilly, S Kenny;

B Meade, C Gillespie;

P Byrne, S Bray, G Reilly;
E Wallace, J Sheridan, M Newman.

Jinxy

I'd be in favour of dropping Bray altogether at this stage.
Bring in Joe and Gilsenan.

thejuice

Brian Farrell must be wondering what he has to do to get a place. Top scorer for the team last year 2nd over all in the country.

Declan

Only saw the highlights myself but from talking to lads who were down in Aughrim he was pretty poor. Young Harnan is a fine prospect but his lack of pace might catch him out at the top level

thejuice

Dare I say it but should we have an extra defender instead of Bray, give Wallace extra room to use his pace. Newman looks of a decent size to win high ball and create breaks for Wallace. If need be he can be swapped with Joe.

I think we need more cover at the back. A more astute team than Wicklow would have had 3 goals on us last weekend.

I know this is heresy and I can imagine Hardy and Pat Spillane are piling the faggots against the stake already.

Something along these lines:

P O'Rourke;

P Harnan, K Reilly,M Burke;
S Kenny;

B Meade, C Gillespie;

P Byrne, G Reilly, P Gilsenan(or Bray, Farrell);
   E Wallace, M Newman(or Joe)

Sea The Stars

Hard to see too many changes from the Wicklow game. Harnan or Kenny maybe for Burke. Other than that, say team I'd say.

Thought Bray did well myself - surprised he's getting so much criticism. Did a serious amount of work in the second half when moved out to wing-forward. Must have sprinted 80 or 90 yards to get into a goal scoring position at the end but Graham Reilly took a shot instead and dropped the ball into the goalie's hands. I would drop Wallace or Newman before I'd drop Bray. By the way I've never seen Graham Reilly cover as much ground as he did against Wicklow. My only remaining criticism of him is his refusal to look for the ball when his back is to the goal. No better man to hit a point on the run though.

Have to say the midfield is gradually improving. There were positive signs in the League and again against Wicklow. Still can't understand though the only effort to address the midfield problem was to bring Conor Sheridan (a guy who I don't think had played a senior championship match for his club before 2013 - injured) and try out Kevin Reilly and Joe Sheridan. There's lots of decent midfielders in the county. No superstars but surely worth having a few involved. We have no substitute midfielder in the squad at all.   

I agree we need more cover at the back but Lenihan and Burke left huge gaps behind them in the first half. If the other team's half-forwards want to drift out to midfield, let our forwards tackle them. Our lads were intent on following their men around everywhere.