Muineacháin - An Cabháin - El Classico II

Started by babarino, June 16, 2013, 10:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

Quote from: babarino on May 19, 2015, 08:28:08 AM
Hopefully we don't have any good goals disallowed like the last championship game between us.

Who are the officials? They have a big responsibility in this one. Previous Cavan posts about taking out marquee players give an indication of how they're thinking ahead of this fixture.

Conor McManus knows what to expect and will be prepared for the bitching, kicking at the heels and the general crap that makes a mockery of the sport. But for sportsmanship to overcome cynicism, the umpires will need to watch out for this and alert the ref to it from the start.

Yes hopefully we have a better referee who would, say, call for a free when the goalkeeper takes 7 steps in front of his own goal in the final seconds of a 1 point game.

I don't know why anyone would be talking about Monaghan's marquee playerS.. You only have one. McManus didn't receive any rough treatment in the last Championship game, I assume he'll be picked up by either Jason McLoughlin or Killian Clarke. Neither would be the cynical type. Now if it's Killian Brady or Feargal Flanagan they would be more likely to resort to that sort of thing but neither would have a prayer of keeping the shackles on him for 70 minutes.

And also let's hope the officials keep a close eye on Clerkin and Walshe as well as the Cavan lads, neither have a history of good manners in this fixture.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Westside on May 19, 2015, 10:47:22 AM
Hopefully we don't have any good goals disallowed like the last championship game between us.

Who are the officials? They have a big responsibility in this one. Previous Cavan posts about taking out marquee players give an indication of how they're thinking ahead of this fixture.

Conor McManus knows what to expect and will be prepared for the bitching, kicking at the heels and the general crap that makes a mockery of the sport. But for sportsmanship to overcome cynicism, the umpires will need to watch out for this and alert the ref to it from the start.

Yes hopefully we have a better referee who would, say, call for a free when the goalkeeper takes 7 steps in front of his own goal in the final seconds of a 1 point game.

I don't know why anyone would be talking about Monaghan's marquee playerS.. You only have one. McManus didn't receive any rough treatment in the last Championship game, I assume he'll be picked up by either Jason McLoughlin or Killian Clarke. Neither would be the cynical type. Now if it's Killian Brady or Feargal Flanagan they would be more likely to resort to that sort of thing but neither would have a prayer of keeping the shackles on him for 70 minutes.

And also let's hope the officials keep a close eye on Clerkin and Walshe as well as the Cavan lads, neither have a history of good manners in this fixture.

That might be handy enough as neither may feature.. I hope they do though!  :P

mrdeeds

Goals disallowed? No goal disallowed last year. Ball hadn't fully crossed line. Disallowed penalty though.

As for game heart says Cavan, head says Monaghan.

mylestheslasher

What a laugh. By take him out I meant to nullify him by marking. Nobody on Cavan team needed to assault Jamie Clarke to remove his influence on the game and it will be the same with McManus. In fact, I recall it was McManus who got red against us so maybe someone should keep an eye on his foul play. Monaghan probably the most thuggish team in Ireland so for sure the ref will need to watch ye. As for your other marquee players, when we figure out who they are we will hatch a plan for them too.

babarino

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 19, 2015, 12:07:59 PMNobody on Cavan team needed to assault Jamie Clarke to remove his influence on the game and it will be the same with McManus.

Jamie Clarke scored what was arguably goal of the championship in that game. It was a disgraceful decision to disallow it as it put Armagh right back in the match. Again Cavan come out best from poor officiating...

That one aside, my central point however is this: when playing against better footballers, it pays in Gaelic games to resort to spoiling tactics. Work out for yourselves who has the better footballers. For the sake of the game, may they win.

charlie linkbox

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 19, 2015, 12:07:59 PM
when we figure out who they are we will hatch a plan for them too.

When you figure out who they are it'll be too late, you'll be in the qualifiers.

Westside

Quote from: babarino on May 19, 2015, 12:41:44 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 19, 2015, 12:07:59 PMNobody on Cavan team needed to assault Jamie Clarke to remove his influence on the game and it will be the same with McManus.

Jamie Clarke scored what was arguably goal of the championship in that game. It was a disgraceful decision to disallow it as it put Armagh right back in the match. Again Cavan come out best from poor officiating...

That one aside, my central point however is this: when playing against better footballers, it pays in Gaelic games to resort to spoiling tactics. Work out for yourselves who has the better footballers. For the sake of the game, may they win.

Are you talking about the Goal where the whistle blew, our Goalie and full back stopped and then Clarke kicked the ball into the net? In the same year as Meehan's goal with the Cork team on the line and O'Donoghue's goal against Dublin?

Yes it pays to resort to spoiling, I have yet to see someone from this Cavan team do what was done to Mark McHugh though. Perhaps Sunday will be the day someone from the current side stoops to that level though.

Itchy

Quote from: babarino on May 19, 2015, 12:41:44 PM

Good job we are not playing against better footballers so and its only Monaghan we are up against.

charlie linkbox

Schkite

Quote from: charlie linkbox on May 19, 2015, 08:36:57 PM
Cavan boys getting a bit lippy!

Ah sure it wouldn't be a Monaghan - Cavan game without a few insults being thrown around, just see the start of this thread!

beer baron

Cavan for Sam.

As is the norm before a Championship game i'm getting more confident the closer it gets,been hearing Clerkin's starting instead of Darren Hughes which is a big step down to begin with and could leave us with an extra man after 20 minutes when he  swings an elbow at somebody, think i remember reading somewhere how Clerkin really dislikes Cavan because his father was involved in the management team at one stage and got treated really badly?

Westside

Surely there's some sort of "supplement" Hughes will be given to make sure he plays?

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Itchy

Sledging in Cavan involves a heavy anvil attached to a wooden handle. Could think of nothing better to bring to breffni on Sunday.

beer baron

Quote from: Itchy on May 19, 2015, 10:36:44 PM
Sledging in Cavan involves a heavy anvil attached to a wooden handle. Could think of nothing better to bring to breffni on Sunday.

Might be needed in town that night if the Monaghan boys head out  ;)