LIDL, making a political point? whats the story?

Started by lawnseed, June 13, 2013, 07:32:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawnseed

Quote from: grounded on June 13, 2013, 01:56:37 PM
Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on June 13, 2013, 10:23:35 AM
Quote from: lawnseed on June 13, 2013, 07:32:11 AM
I'm not really a big hurling fan, the inevitable sight of a guy in black and yellow lifting the Liam MC carthy in September is like ground hog day for me.(all credit to kilkenny) however the young lawnseedlings are hurling mad they have good sticks and slithers but they don't last long when the training is 'the stick the ball and the wall' day and night. i was pleased to hear that the sticks and ball were on offer in German supermarket giant lidl. how bad could they be..? the kids could train at home with the cheap stuff and use the good sticks for proper training. so off to lidl in armagh last week and searched the shop no hurling stuff??!!  sold out? nahh.. i was informed that i was in 'lidl uk' and hurling stuff was only sold in 'lidl ireland'!! is this true has anyone seen any hurling stuff in a lidl store in the six counties. this is worse than kelloggs doing the gaa bowls and not doing the nordie counties. emails are already in germany no replies as yet. gonna try monaghan

Not really "making a political point". 

LIDL has different specials in different countries.  The reality is that LIDL U.K. and LIDL ROI are separate companies so offers can vary.

I doubt that Helmut back in the Berlin Head Office is aware that the lawnseeds believe the Good Friday Agreement entitles them to cheap hurling gear and like as not the map on his office wall shows Northern Ireland is part of the UK.

/Jim.

These are the two different pages
http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-96DE773D-20E334F2/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=32051
http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ni_ie/hs.xsl/index.htm

The special offers are virtually identical every week. I suppose the selling of GAA gear in their local store, might get a few of the brethern a little hot under the collar.
great post. i suppose the same as you do. the main distrubution centres are in nutts corner, newbridge, and mallow. trucks shuttle between these hubs taking various goods from each other then out to the shops. i'll assume that the hurls are delivered to mallow how hard could it be to stick a pallet on the nutts corner trailer.

still no replies this could be a job gaa headquarters
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

laoislad

Quotethis is worse than kelloggs doing the gaa bowls and not doing the nordie counties.

Is this true?

lol if it is  ;D
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tony Baloney

Maybe they thought (rightly  :D) that there would no market for hurling sticks in Armagh. For some of the locals it would be like seeing a banana in the shops for the first time.

armaghniac

QuoteMaybe they thought (rightly  :D) that there would no market for hurling sticks in Armagh. For some of the locals it would be like seeing a banana in the shops for the first time.

If they can introduce the locals to Kielbasa, they should be able to cope with hurling.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

I'm surprised people on here don't remember that they did stock the hurling stuff bout 3 years back both sides of border.
I got a great stick for my daughter and our club bought a stack of training sliothars.we got them in buncrana road Derry City. I do remember at the time that unionists in loyalist areas of ni publicly voiced their disgust and that the story made the Irish news

bennydorano

Yip, i bought senior & junior hurleys and a ball 4/5 years ago, pretty sure i got them in Lidl.

johnneycool

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 14, 2013, 12:01:42 AM
I'm surprised people on here don't remember that they did stock the hurling stuff bout 3 years back both sides of border.
I got a great stick for my daughter and our club bought a stack of training sliothars.we got them in buncrana road Derry City. I do remember at the time that unionists in loyalist areas of ni publicly voiced their disgust and that the story made the Irish news

I don't voice disgust when I see a cricket bat or NI jersey, they should be told to f**k off.

armaghniac

This should allow positive emails be sent along the lines of I hear that the hurling gear is back, when is it coming to my branch. People need to do this and go along and buy some stuff to stop the bigots getting their way.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

AQMP

Quote from: laoislad on June 13, 2013, 10:17:43 PM
Quotethis is worse than kelloggs doing the gaa bowls and not doing the nordie counties.

Is this true?

lol if it is  ;D

No.

AQMP

Quote from: deiseach on June 13, 2013, 02:10:44 PM
The special offers are virtually identical every week. I suppose the selling of GAA gear in their local store, might get a few of the brethern a little hot under the collar.

I was thinking that. My first instinct is the same as Jim's, that corporate Lidl back in the Fatherland are too inflexible to realise that there might be a demand for hurleys in some parts of the UK. After that, I'm wondering whether they're being (overly) sensitive to the possibility of petrol bombs through the windows of their stores. The thought that they want to let the Taigs know that Ulster is British seems a distant third in the list of reasons for not stocking hurleys.

Indeed, what with Warwickshire's recent success and all that...

deiseach

Quote from: AQMP on June 14, 2013, 11:58:13 AM
Quote from: deiseach on June 13, 2013, 02:10:44 PM

I was thinking that. My first instinct is the same as Jim's, that corporate Lidl back in the Fatherland are too inflexible to realise that there might be a demand for hurleys in some parts of the UK. After that, I'm wondering whether they're being (overly) sensitive to the possibility of petrol bombs through the windows of their stores. The thought that they want to let the Taigs know that Ulster is British seems a distant third in the list of reasons for not stocking hurleys.

Indeed, what with Warwickshire's recent success and all that...

;D

gallsman

How many people on here from the North who are put out by this have much of an interest in hurling?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: gallsman on June 14, 2013, 12:49:22 PM
How many people on here from the North who are put out by this have much of an interest in hurling?

Me for 1.

snoopdog

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 14, 2013, 01:25:18 PM
Quote from: gallsman on June 14, 2013, 12:49:22 PM

Me for 1.
It isnt just Hurling they are also selling Gaelic footballs for 9.99 size 4 and 5 good training balls for kids. Plus gloves.

lawnseed

Quote from: AQMP on June 14, 2013, 11:56:53 AM
Quote from: laoislad on June 13, 2013, 10:17:43 PM

Is this true?

lol if it is  ;D

No.
you got a nordie kelloggs bowl then???
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once