Connacht Minor football championship 2013

Started by ross4life, June 12, 2013, 01:15:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: ross4life on June 22, 2013, 06:03:36 PM
HT Mayo 1-5 Leitrim 1-2.

They looked a good Leitrim team all right. Mayo should pull away in the second half, but..

ross4life

FT Mayo 1-15 Leitrim 1-5. Like the league game between the two another straight forward Mayo win they now play Galway away next weekend.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Syferus

Sup the Ros, lads. The bandwagon (hopefully) begins in earnest today. Good game in prospect.

ross4life

Ft roscommon 0-12 sligo 1-5 massive improvement needed for connacht final
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Rossfan

There is indeed.
We were good though each side of half time but seemed to think we had it sewn up, then got rocked by a Sligo goal and point.
However we ground our way back into it and were deserving overall of the 4 point win.
The goal leaking still a concern and we need more then 2 men scoring.
I see Herrins v Rhus is curtain raiser for the Laythrums/Cockneys replay. I presume Galway were due home advantage  ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

galwayman

QuoteI see Herrins v Rhus is curtain raiser for the Laythrums/Cockneys replay. I presume Galway were due home advantage

Yeah Galway were supposed to have home advantage for this one. My understanding (I could be wrong about this of course  :) ) is that the alternate home and away venues should apply apart from provincial finals, which will always be played wherever the senior game is played as a curtain raiser (which is fair enough).

The last Galway v Mayo minor game in Connacht was 2010 in Castlebar. Strange that it wasn't fixed for Saturday in Pearse Stadium given that the Galway seniors are playing there that day.

Rossfan

You don't get it Galwayman- Minor fixtures are made to suit Mayowr.
See Leitrim minors had to go to Castlebar Saturday instead of playing their game with the Seniors. No ceding of home advantage there even for a game they would have won anyway.
Meanwhile Sligo lost their home advantage against us so the attendance in Carrick could be padded yesterday
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

galwayman

Should be an extra motivational factor for our boys. It has the makings of a good game.
Pretty annoyed now that yesterday's senior game was a draw from a purely selfish point of view :)
Would have been nice to have a double header in Pearse on Saturday evening.
Will have to make the trek to Ros on Sunday as well now and have no real interest in the London v Leitrim game really.

Realistically, having the minor game as curtain raiser in Ros is not going to increase the attendance by much. Galway supporters don't travel in big numbers anyway while Mayo don't really bring big numbers to underage Connacht games in my experience.
Any idea of ticket prices? Will be an expensive weekend between Pearse and the Hyde. Has to be done though

Syferus

I'm glad Galway are starting to see the gerry-mandering that goes on at minor but that this comes as anything of a surprise tells its own story. Welcome to the little time, Galway.

commonman

QuoteThe last Galway v Mayo minor game in Connacht was 2010 in Castlebar. Strange that it wasn't fixed for Saturday in Pearse Stadium given that the Galway seniors are playing there that day.

This wasn't going to happen as there wouldn't be agreement between central council and connacht council over the sharing of the spoils - once again the ordinary punter being a secondary priority to the connacht council bank balance.

Mayo Minors seem to have got lucky alright in recent years with venues. In all honesty, the Mayo Leitrim minor game should have been in carrick yesterday with the Leitrim seniors and the Sligo Ros game being the standalone fixture. And now they avoided going to an away venue for the second time in a week by the game being moved from Tuam.

Mano

Sligo had a man sent off early in the first half for 2 yellows. Was the sending off the correct decision as commentary on Sligo radio thought it was extremely harsh. Did it impact the outcome of the game as Sligo seemed to battle on well with a man less for the majority of the game

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: galwayman on June 24, 2013, 11:06:20 AM
QuoteI see Herrins v Rhus is curtain raiser for the Laythrums/Cockneys replay. I presume Galway were due home advantage

Yeah Galway were supposed to have home advantage for this one. My understanding (I could be wrong about this of course  :) ) is that the alternate home and away venues should apply apart from provincial finals, which will always be played wherever the senior game is played as a curtain raiser (which is fair enough).

The last Galway v Mayo minor game in Connacht was 2010 in Castlebar. Strange that it wasn't fixed for Saturday in Pearse Stadium given that the Galway seniors are playing there that day.

Galway are at home to Tipp next Saturday evening. Surely the logical thing would have been to put the Galway v Mayo game on before it rather than drag some hardcore supporters up to Roscommon and back down to Galway city in the same day. Absolute madness.

Syferus

Quote from: Mano on June 24, 2013, 01:52:49 PM
Sligo had a man sent off early in the first half for 2 yellows. Was the sending off the correct decision as commentary on Sligo radio thought it was extremely harsh. Did it impact the outcome of the game as Sligo seemed to battle on well with a man less for the majority of the game

The commentators need new glasses. The Sligo 15 and Daly got double yellows for tussling - justifiably - and the Sligo player kept at Daly, knocking him over off the ball less than 30 seconds after the cards were issued and that wasn't even the incident that got him sent off.

I'd go as far as to say the Sligo player was incredibly reckless and showed little if any control. As clear-cut a sending off as I've ever seen.

Sligo played their best football after he was sent off anyways.

larryin89

Never seen a betting pattern like it for a minor game esp (Sligo v Ross)

Ross were 2/5 at around 6pm sat evening, by 9pm they were 1/5, Sligo man sent off for two yellows before h/t. Has me wondering.

Mayos county ground is McHale park not the dastardly Hyde. Just sayin
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Syferus

You've never seen the odds on favourites narrow in the lead up to a match before? Okay then.