Donegal v Down Ulster Semi June 23

Started by J70, June 03, 2013, 02:45:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhand Santa

A down win would be great for the championship. Hopefully they go out and give it a real go. They'll have to get stuck in to Donegal and take their chances. There's a risk of teams at the minute being beaten by Donegal before the game such is the hype round them. Down need to be totally convinced they're as good as Donegal. There is a chance that Down have actually improved from last year. They looked fitter and have a few new players in. I don't believe a Down win is as impossible as some think albeit it is unlikely.

Aristo 60

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 21, 2013, 01:20:53 PM
Quote from: PAULD123 on June 21, 2013, 01:01:09 PM
In February we played Doengal in Ballyboofey. Donegal were not the effective unit that they are famed to be for about the whole of the first half. They started without Gallagher and Lacey. The big change came in the second half when they introduced Neil Gallagher. Then Donegal won midfield and dominated us.

All the players who lined out against Down played against Tyrone except Ryan McHugh at corner back who was replaced by McGrath. Against Tyrone, Donegal brought on Mark McHugh who started against us. They were also able to bring on Lacey. Most importantly Gallagher played the whole match and dominated midfield.

As I said the big change came when Gallagher won midfield, prior to that Down were doing ok against what has now been shown to be about 12-13 of the Donegal championship side.

Since then Gallagher has become unavailable and Lacey will not be there either. But Down have strengthened with the return of Ambrose, Benny (who didn't start in Ballyboofey), the introduction of the strong looking Madine, and the possible availability of Danny Hughes.

Look I am not going to be foolish. I expect a Donegal victory but my point is that we are not so far behind them as is being made out. We are certainly not that far behind Tyrone. Donegal are missing a critical man and Down have several returned. I believe fully that Down could still be in a tight match with ten minutes to go. I think Donegal will have too much but I do not think that it is inevitable that Down will be over-run.

I just don't see why people even reckon Down will get close to Donegal.  They are an average side who have not beaten any of the top teams over the past 10 years (apart from catching Tyrone on the hop in 2008 and beating a severely understrength Kerry team in 2010).

Do teams be caught on the hop in replays (and with extra time in the replays)?

nrico2006

Quote from: Aristo 60 on June 21, 2013, 03:21:34 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on June 21, 2013, 01:20:53 PM
Quote from: PAULD123 on June 21, 2013, 01:01:09 PM
In February we played Doengal in Ballyboofey. Donegal were not the effective unit that they are famed to be for about the whole of the first half. They started without Gallagher and Lacey. The big change came in the second half when they introduced Neil Gallagher. Then Donegal won midfield and dominated us.

All the players who lined out against Down played against Tyrone except Ryan McHugh at corner back who was replaced by McGrath. Against Tyrone, Donegal brought on Mark McHugh who started against us. They were also able to bring on Lacey. Most importantly Gallagher played the whole match and dominated midfield.

As I said the big change came when Gallagher won midfield, prior to that Down were doing ok against what has now been shown to be about 12-13 of the Donegal championship side.

Since then Gallagher has become unavailable and Lacey will not be there either. But Down have strengthened with the return of Ambrose, Benny (who didn't start in Ballyboofey), the introduction of the strong looking Madine, and the possible availability of Danny Hughes.

Look I am not going to be foolish. I expect a Donegal victory but my point is that we are not so far behind them as is being made out. We are certainly not that far behind Tyrone. Donegal are missing a critical man and Down have several returned. I believe fully that Down could still be in a tight match with ten minutes to go. I think Donegal will have too much but I do not think that it is inevitable that Down will be over-run.

I just don't see why people even reckon Down will get close to Donegal.  They are an average side who have not beaten any of the top teams over the past 10 years (apart from catching Tyrone on the hop in 2008 and beating a severely understrength Kerry team in 2010).

Do teams be caught on the hop in replays (and with extra time in the replays)?

Tyrone weren't at the races at that period of time in 2008.  They regrouped and the Tyrone team that progressed through that summer was a different animal altogether.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

God14

Donegal will have an off day on Sunday yet scrape through. The adrenaline was pumpin v Tyrone but they will struggle to get the same levels of intensity on Sunday
A down win would be great for the championship. I do believe they have a squeak of a chance but they need all their big players to hit form on the one day.

naka

really fancy my mourne neighbours in this one
down by 2

down will need a couple of goals though

drici

Quote from: PAULD123 on May 31, 2011, 05:32:36 PM

Of course (and I'm not saying this is fair excuse, or it is reasonable) a dry pitch would have made, and will make, a hell of a difference to this Down team. Blah blah blah, yeah I know it probably sounds boring and you’re probably thinking it’s the same old tired excuse but in over twenty years I have never seen Down play well in the rain. Yeah I know it’s a pathetic excuse but I can only say what I see. You will only see if we are any good on a dry hard pitch.

Quote from: Mourne Rover on May 31, 2011, 08:37:38 PM

Sadly, it is true that Down have seldom played decent championship football in wet conditions over the last couple of decades. We beat Donegal during a downpour at Clones in 96, but they had a man sent over in the first minute, their goalkeeper was judged to have carried a harmless ball over his line and we were hanging on by a point at the end. The only other success in really bad weather I can recall was against Laois at Newry in the 09 qualifiers.

orangeman

The last thing this Down team and Their management need is another hammering in championship football.

Management will have run out of road surely if that were to happen ?

I can't see Down getting the mauling they got in Clones last year.

Syferus

Quote from: orangeman on June 22, 2013, 01:08:28 AM
The last thing this Down team and Their management need is another hammering in championship football.

Familiarity breeds contempt but Down were going no where before McCartan and would be smart to hold on to the management team they've got no matter what happens on Sunday.

rodney trotter

Quote from: orangeman on June 22, 2013, 01:08:28 AM

The amount of players they have lost since 2010 it would be hard to gain momentum, year by year.  They had a great win against Derry.

10 players from the 2010 panel, either injured or left the country through emigration. Bar Dublin not many counties could afford to lose that many.

RMDrive

Miserable day in the west; I presume it'll be no different in Cavan. I was disappointed that a season ticket didn't even get me under the cover in Breffni today - I'm expecting a soaking.
Safe travels to all.

ardtole

Championship day optimism has kicked in and I can see us sneaking a win here today. I was very impressed with Madine last day out I hope he picks up where he left off against Derry and that King and McKernan win the midfield tussle. Im not sure who will pick up Murphy but Im sure James has some plan in place.

Captain Obvious

wildrover

Quote from: ardtole on June 23, 2013, 10:48:19 AM
Championship day optimism has kicked in and I can see us sneaking a win here today. I was very impressed with Madine last day out I hope he picks up where he left off against Derry and that King and McKernan win the midfield tussle. Im not sure who will pick up Murphy but Im sure James has some plan in place.

Plans are all well and good but you need to have the personnel to implement them. Down don't have anybody capable of marking Murphy.  Nor do they have anybody capable of marking McBrearty. Nor do they have anybody capable of marking McFadden. Combine all three of these and it will most likely spell disaster. Down's only hope is to completely dominate midfield but even that probably wouldn't be enough as Donegal will switch to short 20-30yard kick-outs to men in space if they are being bettered in midfield.

Hope Down can make a game of it with big performances from their big players McKernan/King/Rodgers/Poland/Laverty/Coulter/O'Hare but I just can't see it happening.

Donegal by 10-12pts.

Wildweasel74

After the Derry game i thought Down could give Donegal a game of it, but the closer the game i cant see anything but Donegal winning pulling up though the way donegal play that could mean only 5/6pts in it but a very comfortable margin to the way they play

Itchy

Game delayed by 5 mins, looks like a big crowd in Breffni