Qualifiers--there's an angry mob of losers gathering at the back door

Started by Oraisteach, May 26, 2013, 06:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 15, 2013, 08:52:40 AM
I'd go for Monaghan instead of Laois Jonah.

Monaghan have six day turnaround. It's going to be a repeat of last year with Laois reaching the last eight and Cork,Derry should join them not sure about Kildare or Tyrone 50/50 call on that game however the winner will beat Meath.

J70

FFS lads Monaghan haven't even played the Ulster Final yet!

Captain Obvious

Quote from: J70 on July 15, 2013, 04:54:02 PM
You sound worried? relax, Jimmys winning matches!

J70

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 15, 2013, 05:00:42 PM
Quote from: J70 on July 15, 2013, 04:54:02 PM
You sound worried? relax, Jimmys winning matches!

Not worried. Cautious. You can never count on winning an Ulster final.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 15, 2013, 04:11:35 PM
Quote from: drici on July 15, 2013, 03:46:19 PM
Dia Sathairn   27 - 07 - 2013

Galway/Armagh v Cork
5-00pm   Croke Park

Kildare/Tyrone v Meath
7-00pm   Croke Park

I assume they're hoping Armagh win, a Cork v Galway game could be held in my backyard and still wouldn't sell out.

Yeah, Cork fans don't like the present team and Galway fans must be finding the going tough at the moment.

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 15, 2013, 07:13:38 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 15, 2013, 04:11:35 PM

Galway/Armagh v Cork
5-00pm   Croke Park

Kildare/Tyrone v Meath
7-00pm   Croke Park

I assume they're hoping Armagh win, a Cork v Galway game could be held in my backyard and still wouldn't sell out.

Yeah, Cork fans don't like the present team and Galway fans must be finding the going tough at the moment.

The fishes should be happy to be in R3 and presented with a winnable home game. Better to be limping over Clare and Waterford than bombing out to Antrim and Wexford. The way Counihan sets up his teams almost any fecker could upset the odds in R4.

Captain Obvious

Cork are All Ireland contender, under Counihan they have won league titles and All Ireland they will beat the winner of Armagh or Galway simply because both are not at Corks level.

macdanger2

Galway/Armagh v Cork
5-00pm   Croke Park

Kildare/Tyrone v Meath
7-00pm   Croke Park

When is the final draw on i.e. to see which of the qualifiers will play which provincial champions? Will it be before or after these games are played?

As far as I know, in previous years it was held beforehand - if it's the same this year then that's a good draw for Dublin as they avoid Kildare / Tyrone.

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 15, 2013, 07:44:37 PM
Cork are All Ireland contender, under Counihan they have won league titles and All Ireland they will beat the winner of Armagh or Galway simply because both are not at Corks level.

If you're trying to sell anyone on Counihan being anything more than a lucky manager, have taking over a well-financed and talented panel you're onto a loser. Even the man on the street selling straw hats can see Counihan has been the biggest impediment to Cork reaching the potential over the last half a decade or so. Not tactically aware and I'm starting to doubt he really knows how to evaluate players correctly, be it who to start or what system is best suited to the players he has.

I expect Cork to win their R4 match but I wouldn't be spilling any tea if I heard the Leeside whales had been beached.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Syferus on July 15, 2013, 07:50:41 PM

If you're trying to sell anyone on Counihan being anything more than a lucky manager to have taken over a well-financed and talented panel you're onto a loser. Even the man on the street selling straw hats can see Counihan has been the biggest impediment to Cork reaching the potential over the last half a decade or so. Not tactically aware and I'm starting to doubt he doesn't really know how to evaluate players correctly, be it who to start or what system is best suited to the players he has.

I expect Cork to win their R4 match but I wouldn't be spilling any tea if I heard the Leeside whales had been beached.

Most good managers are lucky only the few are great. In 2009 they lost All Ireland final, 2011 probably hungover after the 2010 success and last year a top Donegal team beat them. Nobody in the know will be writing off this Cork team.

drici

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 15, 2013, 07:50:05 PM

When is the final draw on i.e. to see which of the qualifiers will play which provincial champions? Will it be before or after these games are played?

As far as I know, in previous years it was held beforehand - if it's the same this year then that's a good draw for Dublin as they avoid Kildare / Tyrone.

Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 09, 2013, 11:42:17 PM
Qualifier Draws 2013

7. Monday, July 29th - RTE
Football Quarter Finals and Hurling Semi-Finals

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/0406131645-qualifier-draws-2013-/

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 15, 2013, 08:05:04 PM

If you're trying to sell anyone on Counihan being anything more than a lucky manager to have taken over a well-financed and talented panel you're onto a loser. Even the man on the street selling straw hats can see Counihan has been the biggest impediment to Cork reaching the potential over the last half a decade or so. Not tactically aware and I'm starting to doubt he doesn't really know how to evaluate players correctly, be it who to start or what system is best suited to the players he has.

Most good managers are lucky only the few are great. In 2009 they lost All Ireland final, 2011 probably hungover after the 2010 success and last year a top Donegal team beat them. Nobody in the know will be writing off this Cork team.

They're the fourth best team in the country, more likely to beat one of the top three than anyone else, and certainly more likely to do something than Kerry who have at best a loss to Dublin in the AISF to look forward to. Fourth this year is still well off championship-winning pace so I feel it's unlikely we'll see them lifting Sam come September.

Wildweasel74

Kerry looked if they could do alot more this summer than Cork if last week anything to go on!!

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Syferus on July 15, 2013, 09:09:43 PM

They're the fourth best team in the country, more likely to beat one of the top three than anyone else, and certainly more likely to do something than Kerry who have at best a loss to Dublin in the AISF to look forward to. Fourth this year is still well off championship-winning pace so I feel it's unlikely we'll see them lifting Sam come September.

Once you let go of the coattails of Mayo you may realise Cork and Kerry are All Ireland contenders. Number one will be known by the end of September and thats all that matters.

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 15, 2013, 09:41:19 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 15, 2013, 09:09:43 PM

Once you let go of the coattails of Mayo you may realise Cork and Kerry are All Ireland contenders. Number one will be known by the end of September and thats all that matters.

No Roscommon man has any great love of Mayo. It's the way the wind is blowing and too many people aren't willing to admit that Kerry aren't true contenders. Yes, they were a truly great team, they're 'Kerry' but they are still too old to be genuinely backable for the AI.

There's a convervatsim that's attaching itself to analysis here and in the media that dictates you don't write off Kerry or Cork but state that their chance are relatively remote isn't writing them off, it's looking at the draw and the form of other younger, hungrier and better prepared (than Cork, Kerry are well prepared at the very least) teams.

Saying the emperor has no clothes is too extreme but there is a slight illusion about Cork and Kerry that is being sold here and in broadcast journalism.