I thought the board needed another Manchester United thread

Started by Hardy, May 22, 2013, 11:03:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Main Street

Another Manchester Utd thread here is as rough a sight as a Ferguson hangover,
which is probably what the 2013/14 season will be like for the Man Utd brand.

All of a Sludden

For once, I don't think you could argue with Brolly.

DURING the week, I tweeted "To those tweeting "Thank you Sir Alex" as though you have shared some heroic adventure, it is worth remembering he is a complete stranger". Which provoked a storm of resentment from a lot of Irish folk.
His retirement was one of those dung-spreading events that are becoming more regular in society, where sane people lose perspective, using the language of bereavement and tragedy.
They exaggerate more and more wildly until eventually the dial is flat to the dashboard of the exaggeratometer. Everyone was 'gutted' or 'stunned' or 'heartbroken'.
A man from Bangor was interviewed by Radio 5 live outside Old Trafford on the first day of the wake: "Q. How did you hear about it? A. My mum woke me early this morning and said 'Son, I have bad news'. When she told me, it was actually worse than a death."
Another man came on to say that he was so gutted, he couldn't go to work and just wanted to come down and stand outside the ground.
A caller to the program rang to say that "Sir Alex even showed respect to the groundsmen. He would say hello to them and never had a harsh word."
It was a melodrama, like the death of Lady Di. On and on and on it went, until the tsunami of bullshit swept over everything and everyone. People left flowers at Old Trafford. Grown men wept.
I can understand enjoying a bit of soccer in moderation. I like Match of the Day. I enjoyed Cantona and Bruce and even Gary Neville. I enjoyed the great Man Utd teams and appreciate that Alex Ferguson (everybody is a sir in Dungiven) is a superb leader of men. What I cannot understand is the worship. Giving your loyalty to an English soccer club is like endlessly chasing a woman that has no interest in you.
Gordon Taylor, the Chief Executive of the PFA, accurately describes professional soccer as "an important part of the entertainment industry." It is akin to the cinema. One might for example enjoy Tom Cruise movies, but most of us are sane enough to know that it is inappropriate to give him our loyalty and devotion.
There will be the odd young lad or lass who becomes fixated and perhaps starts to stalk him. They might hang around outside his house hoping for a glimpse. They will buy up his posters and his DVDs. They might – in the event that he were to announce his retirement – feel gutted and heartbroken. But they may also end up in the dock in a courtroom.
Yet many Irish people behave in exactly this way towards a foreign corporation. Manchester Utd is a gigantic PLC. It has 600 million customers worldwide ('fans' their PR department calls them), the majority from the Far East.
They do not give two f***s about us, other than to work out how to get us to spend money to pay for their badge kissing footballers, their agents, their managers and their owners.
These 600 million customers have made the Glazers billionaires and Colleen Rooney a household name. It is a one way street.
Last week, I dropped in to see Anthony Tohill. The rolling 24 hour coverage of the Ferguson wake was going flat out on the TV in his kitchen. "Thank God Fergie rejected me" he said. "I'd be running about now with dyed hair and an armful of tattoos." Instead, Big Anthony is living in a most beautiful spot outside Swatragh beside his parents and his brother.
As he explained to me himself, since his accident he has seen the value of the GAA. His fellow u-14 coaches already have him back out with the kids, helping him to break the ice and coaxing him back into the swing of things.
Next week, he will be at the launch of the new Derry optforlife jerseys for the Ulster Championship, handing over the famous no. 8 to Derry chairman John Keenan. One of the greatest footballers to have played the game is now immersed in his local community.
On Monday night, I was in Bellaghy for Catherine Quinn's commemorative mass. Father Andy Dolan, who pronounces one word in every five, said a beautiful mass (I think) in her honour.
The chapel was packed with Gaels. From Ballinascreen and Dungiven and Bellaghy and Glen. I could go on. Afterwards, we had tea in Quinns, where the talk was all of the Bellaghy u-14s.
Danny's son Conor plays midfield for them and as soon as we got home from the mass he tore off the shirt and tie and had the no. 9 shirt on, kicking about in the back yard.
They are the feile champions, after an epic victory over 'Screen in the final a fortnight ago. Under the watchful eye of Danny and Damian Cassidy (both senior All-Ireland winners) they are now targeting an All-Ireland. The house, like the chapel, was packed. I left with a smile on my face, even if the heart was a little heavy.
At training the other day, my u-12s finished with a do or die practice match. When I shouted "Next score the winner" they went at it like dogs.
Fifteen minutes it took before the winner arrived, by which time the parents were cheering every kick and every block.
On Saturday morning, LIFECYCLE will take off from Harlequin's (St Brigid's share it with the Rugby club) at 9am.
The First Minister will be in lycra, leading off the peloton with the GB and NI World Transplant Games Cycle Team and a host of sports stars. 500 cyclists will take part.
But none of this would be possible without the voluntary effort of our club members. 100 of them will steward the route and the car park. More will make the tea and coffee and food for the guests. Yet more will play the music. Nothing will be too much trouble. No one will ask for a brass cent.
The great Arsenal and England centre back Sol Campbell said on Panorama this week that young people should not treat professional soccer players as role models.
"I am very uneasy about that. It is not a good thing. Look up to someone in your local community instead."
He is right. But he has no need to worry about us. We already do.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Hardy

That should be posted as a sticky at the top of every soccer thread.

deiseach

Quote from: Hardy on May 22, 2013, 11:52:11 AM

Even a League of Ireland thread? Not that I've ever seen one of those.

magpie seanie

It's possible to follow soccer and appreciate what Brolly talks about too.

Hardy

Quote from: deiseach on May 22, 2013, 11:54:28 AM
Quote from: Hardy on May 22, 2013, 11:52:11 AM

Even a League of Ireland thread? Not that I've ever seen one of those.

I'd exempt Leinster Senior league, United Churches League (where I conducted a portion of my glittering soccer career) and the like.

Bingo

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 22, 2013, 11:56:32 AM

You often get the impression from some that enjoying both GAA and soccer should be made illegal.

deiseach

Quote from: Hardy on May 22, 2013, 12:03:45 PM
I'd exempt Leinster Senior league, United Churches League (where I conducted a portion of my glittering soccer career) and the like.

I can't find any reference to HT Fiddler on their website. I think they're ashamed of you.

Orior

Has anyone seen the new Manure top? I cant wait to get it and wear it to Clones and the Munster Hurling final.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Bingo

Quote from: Orior on May 22, 2013, 12:07:39 PM
Has anyone seen the new Manure top? I cant wait to get it and wear it to Clones and the Munster Hurling final.

You'll find more GAA tops at Old Trafford, Anfield or Celtic park than clones or munster hurling final.

Hardy

Quote from: deiseach on May 22, 2013, 12:06:18 PM
Quote from: Hardy on May 22, 2013, 12:03:45 PM

I can't find any reference to HT Fiddler on their website. I think they're ashamed of you.

The IOC never mentions Eddie The Eagle either.

deiseach

Keep Flags (or should that be Flegs) Scouse. Words to live by.

deiseach

Quote from: Hardy on May 22, 2013, 12:15:12 PM
The IOC never mentions Eddie The Eagle either.

And yet the UCI seem to have no problem with Pat McQuaid. Truly life is unfair.

Hardy

Quote from: Bingo on May 22, 2013, 12:05:58 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on May 22, 2013, 11:56:32 AM

You often get the impression from some that enjoying both GAA and soccer should be made illegal.

I often get the impression that people assume that those who think the professional soccer industry is a teeny bit over-reported are bigoted backwoodsmen.