Where will Manchester United finish in David Moyes' first season in charge?

Started by BennyCake, May 21, 2013, 09:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Where will Manchester United finish in David Moyes' first season in charge?

Premiership Champions
22 (34.9%)
Runners-up
12 (19%)
3rd Place
15 (23.8%)
4th Place
5 (7.9%)
Outside the Top 4
9 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Voting closed: August 15, 2013, 09:12:13 PM

deiseach

Quote from: BennyCake on March 26, 2014, 01:59:19 PM
Quote from: deiseach on March 26, 2014, 01:58:02 PM
A lot of wishful thinking. But hey, if you don't have a dream, how you gonna have a dream come true? (© The Estate of Oscar Hammerstein II, other Hammerstein lyrics are available).

I thought that was S Club 7.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 21, 2013, 10:59:53 PM
I think United will do well because (a) they have a very good squad as it is; (b) I am pretty sure United will spend a lot this summer to strengthen the squad, the club will be extremely anxious to show the transition is working; (c) after my initial negative reaction I'm beginning to think Moyes is actually the perfect replacement in these circumstances.

As regards to the "back seat driver" issue I cannot see Ferguson doing that. He is far too cute for that. He will help Moyes as and when Moyes wants - I'd be shocked if it hasn't been discussed and agreed.

The big challengers will be Chelsea and city of course (Arsenal will buy and improve but not enough to really challenge). Interesting that all 3 will have new bosses at the helm - who will settle in quickest. My hunch is United is the most stable environment so I'm boldly predicting that Moyes takes the title in year 1!

Still great reading!!!
#newbridgeornowhere

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 26, 2014, 02:58:57 PM
I think United will do well because (a) they have a very good squad as it is; (b) I am pretty sure United will spend a lot this summer to strengthen the squad, the club will be extremely anxious to show the transition is working; (c) after my initial negative reaction I'm beginning to think Moyes is actually the perfect replacement in these circumstances.

As regards to the "back seat driver" issue I cannot see Ferguson doing that. He is far too cute for that. He will help Moyes as and when Moyes wants - I'd be shocked if it hasn't been discussed and agreed.

The big challengers will be Chelsea and city of course (Arsenal will buy and improve but not enough to really challenge). Interesting that all 3 will have new bosses at the helm - who will settle in quickest. My hunch is United is the most stable environment so I'm boldly predicting that Moyes takes the title in year 1!

Still great reading!!!

Watching them fall off their fecking perch is fun.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 26, 2014, 02:58:57 PM

Still great reading!!!

Seanie,  Seanie, Seanie,  between this and EC earlier this has really be a good news day!!!

AZOffaly

Yeah, yeah. Wait until Sunderland do a fecking rain dance on us at Anfield tonight.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 26, 2014, 03:15:52 PM
Yeah, yeah. Wait until Sunderland do a fecking rain dance on us at Anfield tonight.

Gurnny feckers
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Geoff Tipps

For those who missed it last night. Comedy gold  ;D

Quote from: EC Unique on March 26, 2014, 09:58:53 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 26, 2014, 09:55:01 AM
I can imagine it is hard to take,  particularly with talk that it OT is going to be renamed the 0 3 Arena!

First I heard of that!

Source?

Bord na Mona man

My hunch back then was that if Moyes was going to be found out  (I was undecided), that it would be in the 2nd season.
e.g. That the Ferguson momentum would get carried on into the 1st season, but that it could start to unravel once Moyes had to fully start flapping his own set of wings

Hard to believe how quickly it bombed. I had been under an illusion that good players could still do their stuff under an average manager. It either shows the influence of the manager and possibly how bovine top level players can be as well.

laoislad

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on March 26, 2014, 03:31:39 PM
For those who missed it last night. Comedy gold  ;D

Quote from: EC Unique on March 26, 2014, 09:58:53 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 26, 2014, 09:55:01 AM
I can imagine it is hard to take,  particularly with talk that it OT is going to be renamed the 0 3 Arena!

First I heard of that!

Source?

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Keepthefaith93

orangeman

This will be a sore time for United men but if you give it you have to take it.

Next year will be the year Moyes will flourish.  ;)

It might not be in OT all the same.

The 03 Arena Manchester is a good one.

magpie seanie

Don't know what got into me with that unbridled optimism. It wouldn't have been consistent with my feelings about Moyes most of the time. I suppose the key thing was when I made that post I was convinced United would buy 3-4 top class players in the summer. They bought none.

Another factor is that I suspected it would take City and Chelsea a while to get going. That kind of happened. Didn't see Liverpool's improvement coming. That said - it's not a great league and hasn't been for a good few years now. Before this season United had won it 5 of the previous 7 seasons with virtually no midfield.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 27, 2014, 10:39:31 AM
Don't know what got into me with that unbridled optimism. It wouldn't have been consistent with my feelings about Moyes most of the time. I suppose the key thing was when I made that post I was convinced United would buy 3-4 top class players in the summer. They bought none.

Another factor is that I suspected it would take City and Chelsea a while to get going. That kind of happened. Didn't see Liverpool's improvement coming. That said - it's not a great league and hasn't been for a good few years now. Before this season United had won it 5 of the previous 7 seasons with virtually no midfield.

That's up there with teams winning easy All Irelands!

magpie seanie

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 27, 2014, 11:23:49 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on March 27, 2014, 10:39:31 AM

That's up there with teams winning easy All Irelands!

No it's not. I'm just saying the standard of the league is not as high as it was and that it is easier to win it or dominate it. In comparison to Mourinho's first spell at Chelsea or Wenger's excellent teams prior to that United had no competition. Their own standards slipped slightly but others fell off the charts so United were winning leagues. Simples.