Grimley V Brolly, row in full swing

Started by T Fearon, May 21, 2013, 09:19:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theticklemister

By the looks of it regal he made the right choice that year.......... Ended up with a class degree and job and an-ireland in september.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: regal on May 22, 2013, 12:02:24 AM
Joe is just a vindictive little pr**k. An average forward who played in a great Derry team. I believe he missed the start of Derry's 1993 AI campaign because he preferred to concentrate on his exams, whilst he refused to play on other derry teams because he didn't like the manager. His personal hatred of people like mickey moran, mcgeeney and now grimley amongst others is quite sad.

I don't believe he should be given the platform which RTE grants him. Whilst he is clearly articulate and witty, his knowlege of football is limited.

The criticism of paul grimley (generally) has been appalling. There is no doubt he (along with the vast majority of players) made istakes on sunday but he shouldn't be crucified.

It's a little rich to complain about Brolly's personal criticism of Grimley & at the same time call him a"vindictive little pr**k". People in glasshouses...........
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

rrhf

Jeez too much venom on this thread for my liking.

stibhan

Time and time again, it's been proven that slating Joe Brolly doesn't decrease the viewership of the Sunday Game but increases it. He makes his living by being controversial and brash but by being able to back it up with shrewd analysis of games, systems and players. There really aren't many who can do that - try and think of a time when Brolly said something as stupid as 'I'll eat my hat if Brian Dooher wins an All-Ireland'. I don't think he has.

To suggest that he thinks he is the life-blood of the GAA for what he does with his U-10 team is also ridiculous because in every column he reserves that accolade for a series of other people, and the fact is that he gave his 'life-blood' to a clubmate! I don't think that should shield him from criticism about his punditry but to accuse him of being selfish or self-centred is foolish, vindictive and plain wrong.

As for those saying he was average as a player, well he has two All-Stars and an All-Ireland medal from a County who has only won one. He has also excelled at club level. I'd love to be average if that's what we call it.

blackcard

I would never turn over the TV when Brolly is on - you would be mad to do so-most of you critics
would never match his articulation or wit if a microphone were live and in your face. He is compulsive viewing
no matter. Blow us another kiss Joe.

naka

have to say Joe actually likes Armagh and always wishes to see them do well,
I was disgusted on Sunday and still am embarrassed everytime I see other GAA guys as to how to explain away the debacle
joe probably lost the run of himself and a lot of what was said although over the line i believe wasnt intentionally personal.
PG in hindsight might have been better to keep quiet and get the team ready for 29 June and think about a plan B COS HE WILL NEED IT

Fuzzman

As I said a few weeks ago, an interview with TSG panel in the Irish Times showed the lads admitted that's it's entertainment and not balanced analysis that the lads are providing.
Maybe they were just taking the easy option and were giving themselves some leeway to continue ranting every week.

To me Brolly just shoots from the hip most of the time and so he doesn't think about who he might offend or how his opinions affect other people or the GAA community as a whole.
I would imagine Mickey Harte doesn't even watch the show any more or at least the analysis/entertainment part as he thinks the lads do nothing but talk down our games and say how poor they are.

Whilst I can't stand Spillane and I think Brolly is over confident and offends too many people, I still enjoy the show and actually look forward to the arguments between these two. Can you imagine how tasty it would be if Derry were up there at the top table winning things and how much more intense the rivalry would be between these two.

blackcard

Come off it Fuzzman, I sort of sense you are puckering up to Joe, going by your prevous posts-I gaad for you
Fuzzy.

Fuzzman

squire_in_navy_slacks

Give me Brolly over any of the wooden planks they have had over the years..............http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyAZy4cM8uE

HOWL ON  HOWL ON

Bingo

Having not read back through the last 8 pages not heard what he said, I'm sure people are praising Brolly for "calling it as it is" while others are slating him for "calling it as it is".

Personnally, I find him and Spillane nothing more than a circus act now, both out to out do each other. Been a while since I've watched them in action and will only switch on for the game itself. If i wanted their opinions on the meaning of life I'd read their newspaper columns, which thankfully i don't.

They add nothing to the game but negativity.

rosnarun

Quote from: Bingo on May 22, 2013, 12:12:04 PM
Having not read back through the last 8 pages not heard what he said, I'm sure people are praising Brolly for "calling it as it is" while others are slating him for "calling it as it is".

Personnally, I find him and Spillane nothing more than a circus act now, both out to out do each other. Been a while since I've watched them in action and will only switch on for the game itself. If i wanted their opinions on the meaning of life I'd read their newspaper columns, which thankfully i don't.

They add nothing to the game but negativity.

Thanks for that infusion of positivity
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Hillbilly

Is it not a case of Joe tells it as it is and then you have the sit on the fence men or nice lads but win feck all, put it what ever way you want but Brolly is spot on,PG did not have a clue. Prove me wrong PG by getting to the last 8.