Mayo vs. Roscommon Connacht SFC Semi-final (June 16th, McHale Park)

Started by Syferus, May 19, 2013, 05:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How much will Roscommon win by?

1-3 points
4-6 points
I really wish I was born a Rossie

Syferus

Andy can't start because he's lining up a dramatic match-day switch to Ros. Your Da will be estatic, Andy!!

larryin89

Quote from: Syferus on June 15, 2013, 01:56:57 AM
Andy can't start because he's lining up a dramatic match-day switch to Ros. Your Da will be estatic, Andy!!

Nearly 2am in the morning post, you just land in from Creatons?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Lar Naparka

Quote from: larryin89 on June 15, 2013, 09:51:03 AM
Quote from: Syferus on June 15, 2013, 01:56:57 AM

Nearly 2am in the morning post, you just land in from Creatons?
You're right Larry; poor Syf is letting the nerves get the better of him. Either that or he spent too much time in Durkin's or maybe Molly's before he attacked his keyboard one again.
He certainly is fixated on Ballagh and some (one?) of its inhabitants.
Not to worry; the day is almost upon us and the time for fantasying is over. Roscommon's late entry into the championship may tell against them. I expect Mayo to win but they'd need to do so with a few to spare if they are to be considered as serious AI contenders.
That's often easier said than done. 
A five plus gap at the end would leave me purring nicely; I'd be satisfied with a three or four and I'd  take a one or two and be damned glad to do so if need be. 
John Evans is the unknown factor coming into the game.
If he can get the best out of his team, Mayo could have a real fight on their hands.
Unlike his immediate predecessors, he is an outsider and should be unaffected by the internal wrangling that seems to be going on within the county and has been doing so for some considerable time.
He has quite a few players with real potential and if he can get them to click, Mayo could have a fight on their hands. 
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Rossfan

The head says this game is a year too early for us to be expecting a win and once we give a good spirited typical traditional Ros performance and see where it takes us we'll be content enough and in good stead for the qualifiers.
Arrah fcuk the head - the heart says we'll get the bounce of the ball and we'll run the Mayowr bucks off their feet and we'll add 2013 to our many famous days in Castlebar.

Just do it lads !!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

sans pessimism

Quote from: Rossfan on June 15, 2013, 12:00:26 PM
The head says this game is a year too early for us to be expecting a win and once we give a good spirited typical traditional Ros performance and see where it takes us we'll be content enough and in good stead for the qualifiers.
Arrah fcuk the head - the heart says we'll get the bounce of the ball and we'll run the Mayowr bucks off their feet and we'll add 2013 to our many famous days in Castlebar.

Just do it lads !!!
ya might have had famous days in Castlebar .....but not many in McHale park! ;)
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

From the Bunker

Roscommon last Competitive game was the 7th April (nine weeks ago). Mayo have had two games since. The League semi final versus Dublin on the 14th April and Galway on May 19th. Nicely spread out competitive game time. How quickly Roscommon deal with the initial heat of battle in Castlebar will determine the game. Early exchanges will be important and the rustiness of such a break in Competitive games can be a hindrance to a good start. There is allot of cockiness among the Mayo support (some justified). If this has seeped into the psyche of the players we could have a tough assignment on our hands. I'd expect no complacency from Mayo, most will have remembered the tough game two years ago in Hyde park where we squeezed out by 2 points. The day is not promised to good. This I feel could be of advantage to Roscommon. Anyway looking forward to tomorrow, to a good game (I sincerely hope for a good old fashioned Championship game), and may the best team win!

highorlow

The talking and discussion is nearly over and time for a realistic look at this match.

I can't see us conceding a goal against Ros and we are likely to score 3. Senan Kilbride willl be man marked in a similar fashion to Meehan. He is no good when this tactic is deployed against him so expect to see his usual head dropping at county level.

Realistically we will score between 12 and 18 points. So our full time score should be around 2 - 14.

Ros aren't capable of scoring more than 14 points against any side. Against an in form Mayo I would say they will be lucky to get to the 10 mark.

Any realistic hope of a close game for Ros fans are purely hopeful fantasy.

Mayo to win and win pulling up. 2-14 to 9 points.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

larryin89

Good on ya Highhorlow.

The excitement is starting to really kick in now, no reason for a fook up here at all. Get into them Mayo, let them know who they're up against, no prisoners.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Bod Mor

Quote from: highorlow on June 15, 2013, 01:55:05 PM
The talking and discussion is nearly over and time for a realistic look at this match.

I can't see us conceding a goal against Ros and we are likely to score 3. Senan Kilbride willl be man marked in a similar fashion to Meehan. He is no good when this tactic is deployed against him so expect to see his usual head dropping at county level.

Realistically we will score between 12 and 18 points. So our full time score should be around 2 - 14.

Ros aren't capable of scoring more than 14 points against any side. Against an in form Mayo I would say they will be lucky to get to the 10 mark.

You're usually a decent poster but that there is pure fuel for any Roscommon man. Respect should be shown as we all know damn well these Rossies are capable of an upset. We've seen it before.
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

GalwayBayBoy

Jaysus some of the Mayo bucks are getting fierce cocky. Dare I say it but a couple may be losing the run of themselves. ;D

Tubberman

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 15, 2013, 02:40:34 PM
Jaysus some of the Mayo bucks are getting fierce cocky. Dare I say it but a couple may be losing the run of themselves. ;D

They'd nearly have me wishing we were brought down to earth... fck sake, have ye been on the beer all week or something?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

From the Bunker

Quote from: Tubberman on June 15, 2013, 02:49:14 PM

They'd nearly have me wishing we were brought down to earth... fck sake, have ye been on the beer all week or something?

+1

Crete Boom

Aye it does seem that way but you have to allow for the fact that out of the two main culprits on here (not including highorlow) , one is a creation a fairly prominent Gaa board poster from one of our neighbouring counties ( along with 30 or so odd inane and insulting comments he/she put up on Mayo Gaa Blog this week) and the other, a Hoganstand veteran , is obnoxious enough most of the time but especially vicious towards anything to do with Roscommon. What worries me is the one or two real people I have met this week who would be seen at most league and championship Mayo games I heard talking about O'Connor and Conroy being available forthe quarter final.Now while we are rightly favourites and 3 or 4 point margin seems about right but the Rossies have taken great joy in pushing us aside at underage level with ease for the last 6 years or so, which should have them primed to dropkick any cockiness/complacency back in our faces :o.

The Black Mamba

Quote from: highorlow on June 15, 2013, 01:55:05 PM

Okay well first of all I find your arrogance to be simply baffling. Fair enough Mayo are a Division one side and genuine All Ireland contenders against a mid-table division 3 side and deserve to be favourites, however some of the points you have made are purely ludicrous. If the right ball is played into Senan he is practically unplayable and no one in that Mayo full back line will stop him as they generally struggle with high balls, unless that is of course they are like the aimless ones Galway played into Meehan. So I really don't know how you came up with the idea that if Senan is man marked then he will be no good.  :P  Bit of a rant there but honestly the arrogance of some Mayo posters is just ridiculous. I expect us to put up a decent challenge but Mayo should pull out in the end, just not by the margin expected by some supporters.

ross4life

Has been like that for the best part of 20 years now, they don't see us as challenge anymore why should they? the thing is it's not just a win they all expect but 10+ point win they expect & if they don't get it watch the poor mouth return.

Anyways it's been a ridiculous long wait for championship game our last competitive game was against Monaghan in March (game against Cavans 2nd string doesn't count) win lose or draw hopefully tomorrow is the first of many championship games for us this summer. The very best of luck to Gay,Wally,John and all the players.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open